Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who drives their Aerospace/Strange brakes on the street alot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
they should be fine.
You must drive real slow then.

One of the LAST parts I want to fail on a car is the brakes.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed a lot of different brand calipers and have had problems with a lot of them. From leaking halves to forgetting to drill holes all the way through the on 1/2 the calipers, seized up pistons from warping because they were too thin in spots, sending the wrong thread pitch on hardware, warped rotors out of the box etc etc. If I was to call each one of them junk because of previous problems my only choice would be stock brakes lol.

All I can say is I had aerospace fronts on three different LS1 cars, I never had them on another type of car, and have had zero issues with them and I beat my stuff pretty hard. I have worked on everything from alcohol funny cars to formula atlantic cars and I see nothing wrong with their design (talking about the fronts here).

I sell neither so therefore I need to market neither really and if I thought they were dangerous I would be telling people so, I have nothing against the Strange brakes (I have them on the rear) but I wont call the Aerospace brakes 'junk' or dangerous just because some tells me they are on the internet. Lets see some pics or a good explanation why they are junk - maybe they are and I just have been lucky - I just need some convincing.

Personally I think things like tubular K-members and lightweight manual racks are just as dangerous on a heavy street driven car, as well as front skinneys and bald ET street radials so its a risk everytime you drive a highly modified car. I would never put either the Strange or Aerospace drag brakes on a street driven car that is not highly maintained. Everytime I run the car I check all the nuts/bolts/caliper brackets and check for leaks on both the Strange and Aerospace when I swap wheels/tires because I know from experience that NONE of them are OE quality. If you bolt either on a daily driver and forget them you are asking for trouble either way..
Old 05-09-2006, 11:12 AM
7 Second Club

I've never personally had experience with them (my car has SSBC on it), but 2 friends Nova's have them at the front, one is a 3400 lb big block car that still sees the street a few times a week and about 200-300 miles a month with no issues at all.

Again, just my experience. As madman stated, you can have a product that will get great reviews from the masses and bad from 2-3, but what you choose is ultimately up to you. I've had numerous people tell me parts I choose to run are junk, yet they've held up fine over years of drag racing and street driving abuse.

Derek
Old 05-09-2006, 12:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KP yes I am a very opinionated person. My opinions come from experience. I sell both brands of brakes. The Aerospace calipers are not hard anodized in the piston bores. You install a steel piston in a bore that isnt hardened then you are asking for trouble. Especially where water contamination is possible.(We all know brake fluid attracts water)

Each to their own but in this instance you get what you pay for.

225-343-9029
Old 05-09-2006, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

I have the Strange brakes and have done quite a bit of street driving with them. In no time flat they started to squeal a bit in stop and go traffic. But I checked the brake pads and they are fine. I can deal with the squeal. I'm as easy as I can be when out on the streets and those days are going to become fewer and fewer since I recently bought a nice car hauler.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Motorboater

Brian how about you get me that price on strange like you were going to

I am not fully decided either way yet.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

PM Paul I'm not allowed on the phones or the computer with the pricing. I'm hiding in the ******* with my laptop right now!!

225-343-9029
Old 05-09-2006, 03:53 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MADMAN
KP yes I am a very opinionated person. My opinions come from experience. I sell both brands of brakes. The Aerospace calipers are not hard anodized in the piston bores. You install a steel piston in a bore that isnt hardened then you are asking for trouble. Especially where water contamination is possible.(We all know brake fluid attracts water)

Each to their own but in this instance you get what you pay for.
Its OK to be opinionated when it comes to brakes, IMO brakes and steering on any car shoudlnt be compromised - ever. But the sad reality is that hundreds of people crash their **** with 100% functioning OE antilock brakes so a lot really depends on who is driving the car also

I'm no material expert and I dont know if hard anodizing would be a factor depending on the material used so I cant argue since I dont know for sure if anyone else does either. I'm not debating the Strange calipers and brackets are finished a little nicer, they are very nicely made. You are getting front hubs with the strange setup and thats really why you pay more for them, the rear price is pretty close.

Exact reasons why I chose the front Aersopace were, I could keep my speedo since I run it off the ABS sensor, I like the aluminum rotor hub on the front - mostly for looks since you can see them through the wheels. Plus the cost difference betwen them isnt hard to take but that wasnt the main reason I chose them.

Reason I went with the strange rears, I like the 'open' rotor hub so I can see the axle bearings through the wheel, plus the Strange rear brackets are 'C' shaped and you dont have to press them on and off with the bearings. I was going to cut the aerospace brackets like them but they didnt look that strong to begin with so I went with the Strange rears..

IMO the main fault with the aerospace calipers is the cross bolt that hold the pads in should use a spacer like the strange calipers. I can almost bet 75% of sticking piston problems are caused by overtighteneing that bolt and warping the caliper body (it doesnt neeed to be tight at all with a fresh locknut), it takes very little to stick a piston in any of these..

But I'll tell everyone the same thing everytime, if you want your car to drive and stop like stock, leave it stock
Old 05-09-2006, 06:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I agree KP

225-343-9029
Old 05-11-2006, 11:13 AM
9 Second Club

On you guys street driving the Strange brakes, how soon do you wear out pads and rotors?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by REDGAR
On you guys street driving the Strange brakes, how soon do you wear out pads and rotors?

Quick Reply: who drives their Aerospace/Strange brakes on the street alot?