Old 05-12-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

that's not done correctly......
Old 05-12-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well Ive only seen one co that does the rear bars like that... I hope thats not a consistent problem with them, as I was going to order their kit.
Would the bends like that weaken the structural integrity of the setup?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Launching!

An NHRA chassis or tech inspector will probably laugh and walk away when he see's that...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

so who in this thread has actually bent tubing besides derty
Old 05-12-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Those of you that have a chromoly roll bar check and see if yours has any bends that look similiar to these.

I'll try and get some better pictures later today. I still want say who made the roll bar as we are going to contact them again.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Project_SS
I'll try and get some better pictures later today. I still want say who made the roll bar as we are going to contact them again.
^^^That is BS man. You should want to help out the fellow members and not keep a secret that could ultimatly end up injuring someone....or even killing them.

We aren't asking you to flame them, just be honest and discuss their responce. If I was to order a roll cage today, I would be nervous that it might be from a company that is unsafe. You could potentially save some members from putting themselves in YOUR exact position.

/rant
Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninetres
^^^That is BS man. You should want to help out the fellow members and not keep a secret that could ultimatly end up injuring someone....or even killing them.

We aren't asking you to flame them, just be honest and discuss their responce. If I was to order a roll cage today, I would be nervous that it might be from a company that is unsafe. You could potentially save some members from putting themselves in YOUR exact position.

/rant
I concur...
Im about to order a Wolfe 6point. They are the only co. Ive seen that does the rear bars that way. And those rear bars are one of the main reasons Im planning to order their kit.
Please just tell me its not Wolfe, that way I can rest my mind and order my kit.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

My LG Motorsports custom chromoly bar

No flat bends there...
Old 05-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

i'll post a pic in a bit
Old 05-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

here's a pic of both rear bars that go to the wheel wells
Attached Thumbnails Roll bar bend quality question-imag0053.jpg  
Old 05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Launching!

You guys need to understand that He is not with holding this info for any reason but to keep from damaging a relationship with a company that is holding his money. I have had to tip toe around like that on a thing or two until the issue was resolvrd, then I would gladly give the name and my experience with the company. I can see exactly the reasoning for not disclosing too much info this early. Have alittle patience and hopefully the issue will get resolved and hope no one gets hurt.

"Mother Theresa signing off" .....lol
Old 05-12-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on thinwall tubing a SLIGHT distortion is normal. this is because the dies arnt exactly perfect for the tubing thickness...

that is kinda excessive. i would return them for a exchange or refund.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project_SS
Have a question that other may be able to answer. We just got a chrome-moly 6 point roll bar and have some questions about some of the bends in the tubing. Don't know if you can see them clearly from the pictures. In some of the bends it has stretched the tubing and is flatten out some.

We have always thought that the bends should be smooth and not distorted. Even have a custom made roll bar in another car and the bends looks nothing like these do.

Has anyone else gotten a roll bar with bends that look like these?

a little bit of flattening sometimes happens when the bends get closer the 90 degree's, but the pics you post here it looks like the bar was literally crushed(maybe during shipping) because its looks flat along the whole tube in the last pic you can tell by the way the light reflects along the length of the bar that its not round...

I'm guessing you only have the one rear bar that looks like this ?

jay
Old 05-12-2006, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Here's some new pictures of the bends in the roll bar. These are picture of main hoop,door bar and rear bar. Every bend has some flatting/stretching. Some are worst than others. It hard to get the camera to show the bend well, but when you look at the bars with your eyes and feel the bends you can see alot more.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah, that's all messed up, send it back.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Used to have a fab shop and you can use "iron pipe" or "tube" dies with a mandrel bender and it looks like those bends could have been made with pipe dies instead of tubing dies. Either way, the company can say what they want, but those bends are not right. I would be sending them back.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No way I would put that in my car.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Gross.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:04 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked at the rear bars on my 2 Year old CM Wolfe 6pt and they are the same pretty much, as well as the tight bends in the main hoop. Never really noticed, it doesnt really look that bad since its powdercoated, but its about the same as those pics you posted.

I have never bent CM so I would listen to the guys that do it or have done it, I'm not scared of the roll bar all of a sudden
Old 05-14-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kp's got it right.

99.9% of roll bar/cage tube is NOT bent on a mandrel bender.

First, mandrel benders are BIG money. Second, while a mandrel bender maintains the shape of the tube your bending, wall thickness suffers drastically. If you've ever used mandrel bent tube for headers, air plumbing, etc, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The material MUST stretch to make the bend, and the outer radius of the bend becomes extremly thin. You're local cage cert guy would kick you out in a second if he checked the wall thickness on the outer radius of a mandrel bent tube.

Now, for everyone jumping on the "it's crap" bandwagon. Have you ever bent CM or mild DOM tube in a shoe/follower bender? Now assuming you know how to use it, and use the properly sized shoe for the tube, and atleast the minimum wall thickness for the bend your making, you will always get some deformation in the bend. It's the nature of the beast.

The tighter the radius, the more the tube crimps. The longer the bend, the more crimp you get. But you know what, the bends pictured are pretty typical.

I've bent a few tubes over the years. Not to mention watched and looked at tubes bent by the staff at Jerry Bickle racecars. Using the same equipment we use at Stenod Perf, and they all have some crimp in the bend. My car certified just fine. Hell, Bickle builds Pro Stock cars. That right there should be enough

Before you throw a company under the bus, step back and see if you know what your talking about.

Quick Reply: Roll bar bend quality question