Sponsored by:

Quick instant center question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 07:23 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLowETz
Mmmm.... forgive my hard head but, on the BMR mount he's described, if you use the top most holes on the mount you are lengthening the bar's absolute length at the point/location on the bar in which it is pushing up.

If you use the bottom most holes, you are shortening the bar's length.

All be it a small/nominal amount of adjustment(aprox. 6' vertically top to bottom worth of adjustment)but it will change IC to a degree. To what degree/amount it changes could be figured w/some math which I have not done.

I do know from personal experience w/this bar and trying different mounting locations that it seems to hit the tire harder at any given rpm using the top mounting holes, and conversly will try to raise the front end harder at any given rpm when using the same shock settings on the lowest mounting hole..... again..... FWIW-
Think about it, the bar is pushing straight up, all the holes are straight up and down. Unless the front of the torque arm is solid mounted it shouldnt change anything, if it is when if you raise the front it makes the TA 'shorter' and down makes it 'longer.' Dont know what to tell you about changing it and the car doing something different. If the pinion angle was adjusted when the bar was moved it shouldnt make much difference, its just basic chassis theory - whatever works for ya
Old 05-30-2006, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

I hear ya Kevin, and I'm not disagreeing the obviuos physics of it but.....
the same two things keep me scratchin' my nuts.

Why does the car undoubtedly react differently betweeen the two settings? It will hit the tire hard enough to blow them off up high, and can actually see/feel the difference in front end lift on the lowest point?

And.... why would BMR put the adustability in the mount on a floater bar if it didn't change the way the chassis reacted to the hit?

Not arguing.... just trying to get a better grip(No pun intended )
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why does the car undoubtedly react differently betweeen the two settings? It will hit the tire hard enough to blow them off up high, and can actually see/feel the difference in front end lift on the lowest point?
Two things. The first is pinion angle. Did you also adjust it when you moved the torque arm? The second would be the angle of the lower control arms in relation to the torque arm. It is possible to make them work against each other.

Daren
Old 05-30-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Yes, always back check PA after any geometry changes.
I've always been led to believe that pinion angle has no effect on traction or weight transfer.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I hear ya Kevin, and I'm not disagreeing the obviuos physics of it but.....
the same two things keep me scratchin' my nuts.

And.... why would BMR put the adustability in the mount on a floater bar if it didn't change the way the chassis reacted to the hit?

Not arguing.... just trying to get a better grip(No pun intended )
Same reason a lot of companies tell you the wrong way to adjust pinion (driveline) angle. Most likely something changed when you moved the bar that far, the LCAs are where you will see most of a change with these, that and going to a shorter torque arm.

If you were changing the IC, all the way down would make the car squat, and all the way up give it anti-squat (seperation). Only reason I can see to make it adjustable is to adjust pinion angle with a non-adjustable torque arm. There may be something going on that I'm not aware of, but once you understand how any suspension works it kinda makes sense. I'm no expert though, just lucky

Quick Reply: Quick instant center question