Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I started my roll bar install.Pics.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006 | 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Except for the cut in the drivers side rear pannel. The cut should have been a little more under the bar.

Also.... can someone tell me if the seat belt is legal to wrap around the bar behind the seat and do I HAVE to have holes in my seat for the belts to go through??
Old 06-13-2006 | 05:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JRracing
Except for the cut in the drivers side rear pannel. The cut should have been a little more under the bar.

Also.... can someone tell me if the seat belt is legal to wrap around the bar behind the seat and do I HAVE to have holes in my seat for the belts to go through??
well it should be bolted to the bar[ie there should be tabs welded to the spline bar] ,so it cannot move in case of an accident,and you should have seats altered and put a hole in them,we have all the stock seats done for the reason ,that if something goes wrong [esp with stock seats ]the belts can slide off your shoulders and become useless,the last things you want are the belts to move ,at the least you can dislocate your shoulder at the worst you can come out of them, esp. with a stock seat which will compress on impact,
and things happen no matter how fast or slow your car is, heres a pic of what we have done , hope this helps, bob
Old 06-13-2006 | 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

looks GREAT now! very good job on the install.
Old 06-13-2006 | 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks Bob. I kinda thought I might need to alter the seats. A friend of mine had his seats done by a place near here for like $100 each.

And I got both belts, the wrap around, and the bolt style. I was going to return one or the other.
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NRC-Motorsports
you are correct, the rules say floor or frame,up here they are not allowed on the rear wheel house either[Div 1], we do them to the floor right above the frame after back seat,
when we get cars like that ,that come in for cage conversions the first thing we tell them is car will not cert as the bar install is incorrect and the rear bars have to be changed, now a days you dont see to many on the tubs anymore as the tech depts are getting with the program,
but as you said, some parts of the country tech is still very loose, Bob

I just got off the phone with Wolfe, and they said the cages were legal with the bars welded to the rear wheel well.

I was curious because I saw this and did not want to put my 10pt in if it was not going to pass tech. Has anyone had any problems with this?
Old 06-21-2006 | 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Silver Slayer
I just got off the phone with Wolfe, and they said the cages were legal with the bars welded to the rear wheel well.

I was curious because I saw this and did not want to put my 10pt in if it was not going to pass tech. Has anyone had any problems with this?
since im not a chassis guy, i wont say anything one way or the other, but anyone who says "frame" in a unibody car should probly be questioned very carefully before you trust their advice...
Old 06-21-2006 | 11:45 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I would call the NHRA tech director in your division and ask. The car has no 'frame' and it woud depend if one interprets 'floor' and STOCK wheelwell to be the same thing or not.
Old 06-21-2006 | 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
since im not a chassis guy, i wont say anything one way or the other, but anyone who says "frame" in a unibody car should probly be questioned very carefully before you trust their advice...
the rules that are written for frame and unibody cars ,are in the same paragragh,so when they say frame they mean a chassis car, but if you look in rule book[and i dont mean you specifically]on page 210 in the middle of the rule it says"unibody with stock and firewall, may attatch rollbar to FLOOR with 2 6x6 plates x.125 top and bottom bolted together and /or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with .125 inch steel plate, with plates welded completely around, as I am a chassis builder and in 35 yrs have not had a failure i also checked again today for Silver slayer as he said, he was told it was legal,
so i made 2 calls to NHRA in caifornia and they said it is not leagal on tubs,[again this is NHRA, that dosent mean one of their guys interpets the rules that way] which is also what was said before about Div 1.[yes some tech,guys at track will let you go, ,because they are happy that at least you have a bar,]but up here our guy will not cert a car [unibody car ]with bars on tubs,but that dosent mean down south ,or out west,they wont,
so i think the best thing to do is contact your division cert guy and ask him,as he is the one putting the sticker on,
bob

Last edited by NRC-Motorsports; 06-21-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2006 | 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Wow Bob. Good call. I hope they don't shoot me down around here. I know one place will be fine with it. But the other is kinda strick to NHRA rules.

Bob, what is a good seat I could buy that will fit right to my stock seat mounts? So I can take it in and out as I want to race. And then put the stock seat back in from time to time.
Old 06-21-2006 | 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JRracing
Wow Bob. Good call. I hope they don't shoot me down around here. I know one place will be fine with it. But the other is kinda strick to NHRA rules.

Bob, what is a good seat I could buy that will fit right to my stock seat mounts? So I can take it in and out as I want to race. And then put the stock seat back in from time to time.
you should ask the cert guy in your area, enough on that,what we did in peties,kerminator was fit the stock seat tracks to a kirkey seat,[he was trying to save wieght],so if you get an extra set you can just fabricate them to fit the Kirkey seat , and just bolt it back in the stock location.bob

Last edited by NRC-Motorsports; 06-22-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2006 | 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

on a 6 point does it have to be certified...i have ran the same cage for 4 years, but i don't have the swing out door bars. mine r welded, i thought 10 point and up were certified. my rear bars go to the wheel area just like his and have been teched many times at many tracks and they say ok......
Old 06-24-2006 | 03:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ou812/z28
on a 6 point does it have to be certified...i have ran the same cage for 4 years, but i don't have the swing out door bars. mine r welded, i thought 10 point and up were certified. my rear bars go to the wheel area just like his and have been teched many times at many tracks and they say ok......
tech and certification are 2 different thing,s
if you have a Roll Bar, it does not get certed, if you have a cage yes it needs to be certed
heres a paragraph i made for the fast ls1 site [it is also post in ls1 tech a few times as people asked ] allot of people are using the wrong terminology] ,a cage is a cage and a roll bar is a roll bar[a roll bar can have 5pts 6pts 7pts and8 pts,a cage can have 6 pt ,8,10 12pts] a lot of people call up for cages and their trying to ask for roll bars its a common mistake
,most cages are actually are 6pt unless 2 diagonal bars go to tunnel or frame connectors[before everyone jumps on me the 2 side bars usually go to the front uprights so unless you have the 2 diags like i said and they are mandatory when a cage is put on plates,if its a chassis car[ ie chevelle,malibu,corvetteanything with a full frame under it]the cage then has to be mounted to the chassis and doesn't require the 2 diags to tunnel. what else is needed to go in 9,s are ,a window net,padding anywhere drivers helmet can contact,and the installer should put tabs for required shoulder harness [so its bolted to spine bar and cannot slip off you in case of accident]and if you go faster than 9.99 a chassis certand as 1-06,any cage[that is not a 25- spec] will now be certed to 8.50,[as for the ones that were certed 7.50 prior to 1-06,as they expire they will be certed to 8.50,unless they are upgraded to 25- specs] that should cover the basics hope this helps.bob

PS, my cert guy was here today and we asked about back bars to tubs,and he said what NHRA said back bars on tubs are not legal and would not/should not be certed,as far as NHRA is concerned, [BigMike was at cert and he also was conversasion,] so again , if they cert them elsewhere, so be it ,but not in Div, 1 so always check with the cert guy in your area as we have stated before, thnx bob