Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which REAR anti sway bar for street and track??
wolfe......weld in anti sway bar
30.60%
BRM........extrem duty drac sway bar
29.10%
spohn...... anti roll bar
40.30%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

which REAR anti sway bar for street and track??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My spohn comes close to the diff case, but it does not make very much noise. It feels a lot more solid in the rear, and if i hit a bump, i feel it in the whole car now.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
My spohn comes close to the diff case, but it does not make very much noise. It feels a lot more solid in the rear, and if i hit a bump, i feel it in the whole car now.
Mine is pretty close to the T/A cover also, but it doesn't rub. Once I got things adjusted right it doesn't make much noise. You can definatley feel the road more w/ a solid end link bar.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent an email to Spohn and they recommend the 1" chromoly bar for my setup...so I think I'll go with that. If the car doesn't leave straight after I get heads/cam, I'll either get an airbag or the pro-series drag bar. But I think I'll be fine (and so does Spohn).

Thanks guys!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

I run the 25mm(1") stock style replacement from Spohn. Works great. No more noise than stock and car comes out straight.
http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1395

IMO, it's the best street/strip swaybar.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you are having clearance problems with the sway bar, add a ~.5" space to the stock u-bolts/saddle or go with Spohn's taller saddles.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I run the 25mm(1") stock style replacement from Spohn. Works great. No more noise than stock and car comes out straight.
http://www.spohn.net/product.cfm?productid=1395

IMO, it's the best street/strip swaybar.
Great to hear...thanks!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those with the 1" (25mm) stock bushing style Spohn bar, do you happen to know the weight? I have been debating on that one or the Suspension Techniques 1" (25mm) bar. The differences are the Spohn bar is CM and is heat formed vs cold formed of the Suspension Techniques. Sam Strano stated in another post that the Suspension Techniques 1" bar was about 15# more then stock, and tektrans stated their Spohn (I assume 1-5/16 Pro-Series, since he states it's adjustable) was 35#-40# heavier then the wolf bar, and I would think the wolf was heavier then stock too.
Originally Posted by tektrans
I've got the spohn and it works great. Good adjustability too. I had tuned my suspension for Etown and when I went to Atco the car launched real hard to the right. After a couple of turns on the passenger side end link and 2 runs later the car was going straight as as arrow.
Only drawback I would say is the weight. Not sure but I think I remember the spohn was like 35-40 lbs heavier than the wolf.
So are either of then way off or, is it closer to the weight of the of the Suspension Techniques bar (~15# over stock)?

Sorry for being picky here, but weight is a big thing for my car (and I would think any racer), and I was just wondering about the weight of the spohn piece...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
For those with the 1" (25mm) stock bushing style Spohn bar, do you happen to know the weight? I have been debating on that one or the Suspension Techniques 1" (25mm) bar. The differences are the Spohn bar is CM and is heat formed vs cold formed of the Suspension Techniques. Sam Strano stated in another post that the Suspension Techniques 1" bar was about 15# more then stock, and tektrans stated their Spohn (I assume 1-5/16 Pro-Series, since he states it's adjustable) was 35#-40# heavier then the wolf bar, and I would think the wolf was heavier then stock too.

So are either of then way off or, is it closer to the weight of the of the Suspension Techniques bar (~15# over stock)?

Sorry for being picky here, but weight is a big thing for my car (and I would think any racer), and I was just wondering about the weight of the spohn piece...
I ordered mine and I'll be home next week so I can weigh it for you if you remind me. Send me a pm or something next week and I'll take care of it.

If weight is really an issue, I read a post that Strano makes a HOLLOW 25mm rear bar that doesn't weigh much...you might do a search for that. Personally, I would rather have the stronger bar, and weight is not an issue of it is in the rear of the car...but that's just me.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by matts22
I ordered mine and I'll be home next week so I can weigh it for you if you remind me. Send me a pm or something next week and I'll take care of it.

If weight is really an issue, I read a post that Strano makes a HOLLOW 25mm rear bar that doesn't weigh much...you might do a search for that. Personally, I would rather have the stronger bar, and weight is not an issue of it is in the rear of the car...but that's just me.
Thanks, I may do just that, or if you got tracking info on the shipment then that should be aproximatly what it will be...

OH, and I too am looking for a strong solid bar, since my car will see the dragstrip time more then the street, but also just wanted to find the lightest one. I also found it hard to believe that Sam said the Suspension Techniques bar was only 15# over stock and that other post stated the spohn was soo much heavier, I know it's 5/16 thicker but that shouldn't add another 20# should it???
Old 01-01-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, I may do just that, or if you got tracking info on the shipment then that should be aproximatly what it will be...

OH, and I too am looking for a strong solid bar, since my car will see the dragstrip time more then the street, but also just wanted to find the lightest one. I also found it hard to believe that Sam said the Suspension Techniques bar was only 15# over stock and that other post stated the spohn was soo much heavier, I know it's 5/16 thicker but that shouldn't add another 20# should it???
The thing that makes the Spohn Pro-Series bar (not the one I'm getting) so much heavier is that it ties into the frame. If you look at a picture, there are two extra rod ends on two rods, which is going to add several pounds. That, on top of it being like 30% bigger than the other one is going to add some serious weight. I'm sure it is a stiff piece though, so if you see more track time than street, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. I went with the 25mm because mine is a street car that sees some strip...so completely different. I considered the pro-series bar though, just because it is so beefy.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by matts22

Matt,

PM sent, did you ever get that bar in and weigh it or did I wait to long to remind you?
Old 01-15-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Second Moderator

I'm running the stock bar with a longer sleeve (from the old fronts) on the right side. Big bars are too much money for what they are worth. Put your $400.00 into new tires or better go fast parts.

I could prolly use a bag in the right spring but I'm still ripping 1.45 60s with a stock M6 N/A head cam 346, 4.56 gears in a 12 bolt. 3300 pounds
Old 01-15-2007, 09:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

torkman, great 60's but that right rear is still stuffed HARD . thoughtfull idea though
Old 01-15-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Matt,

PM sent, did you ever get that bar in and weigh it or did I wait to long to remind you?
I replied...I'll let you know when I install it.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

I just ordered a sphoon drag bar from thunder. Can't wait to put it on...
Old 01-18-2007, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I got the drag bar in today. I put it on tonight and it is very close to my QA1 shocks on both sides. Like maybe 1/4" at the best. It looks like it will hit once I put the car back on the ground.

Did anyone else have this issue? I'm going to call sphoon tomarrow.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JRracing
Well, I got the drag bar in today. I put it on tonight and it is very close to my QA1 shocks on both sides. Like maybe 1/4" at the best. It looks like it will hit once I put the car back on the ground.

Did anyone else have this issue? I'm going to call sphoon tomarrow.
It is close . i put mine on few weeks ago. also make sure the ***** are facing the wheels if they arnt already. ive hit some good bumps and nothing has hit yet, it wont flex much being its solid links so i wouldnt worry about it as long as its even and ***** are out
Old 01-19-2007, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Are you talking about the ***** on the shocks? They face forward. How much room do you have between the shocks and the sway bar?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

this is bmr's but my clearence is the same
http://bmrfabrication.com/XtremeDuty.htm

See how the **** points to the rotor, i dont know how yours point forward??

Last edited by badpewter-z; 01-19-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

Oh I see. I have coil overs on the back. They com with a bracket that bolts to the rear end and the shock mounts in the bracket. I'll post a pic later.