Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backhalf Project Started. Pic inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPMuscle
Thats what I thought. they look good. How was the Fitment, and how much trimming was involfed since from what i read they said there was some.
Very minimal, if you make sure it's centered.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey what Rod Ends are you guys using??

Im going through this week to get my Rod Ends, tubing adapters, jam nuts all ordered up and on its way.

I have access to DOM tubing dirt cheap so im going to be using 1 1/4OD-1.010ID-.120wall DOM for the link bars. I planned originally to run the high strength chromo rod ends at 5/8bolt and 3/4-16 thread but that combo seems hard to come by. would I be better of staying with the 5/8bolt by 5/8 thread instead?

Also what is the norm for sheetmetal thickness on the body panels? Im going to use steel. Im thinking 18 gauge but i dont know if that will be to thick or not.

thanks,

-john

Last edited by JPMuscle; 04-19-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 AM
8 Second Club

I got all my 4link things through A.R.T. all in chrome moly.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:01 PM
8 Second Club

Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks good.

hey tim what #lb springs are you running in the rear??

Last edited by JPMuscle; 04-24-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
8 Second Club

Here is some more recent pics

Old 05-02-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SWEET amn your close... she fired yet???
Old 05-02-2007, 04:09 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
SWEET amn your close... she fired yet???
Yes, We had an event that I wanted to take it to. I worked on it until 2 am saturday night and drove to norwalk. I didn't have time to fill my co2 shifter or work out all the bugs and got talked into trying to make a pass and kept blowing off the IC tubes because the clamps weren't tight. I launched it at half throttle and the put it in second gear with 35psi in the slicks and it blew the hose off before half track. It went a whopping 12.6@72mph with a 1.6 60 ft, lol
Old 05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

guys, this is awesome.

Are there any good books/websites that can teach a beginner how to do something like this?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WMSuperSport
guys, this is awesome.

Are there any good books/websites that can teach a beginner how to do something like this?

This is the best i could find off hand..

http://autoweldchassis.com/Instruct.ivnu

Tim.. The car is bitchn man, i cant wait to see what it runs when its dialed in.

Oh and real quick what #Lb springs are you running in the rear?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 PM
8 Second Club

This is the best i could find off hand..

http://autoweldchassis.com/Instruct.ivnu

Tim.. The car is bitchn man, i cant wait to see what it runs when its dialed in.

Oh and real quick what #Lb springs are you running in the rear?
Thanx, I'll have to check on what the springs are. I'm wanting to say 150 or 200
Old 05-02-2007, 09:02 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim King
Thanx, I'll have to check on what the springs are. I'm wanting to say 150 or 200
i have 150's on mine
Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I finally got the time to run out and Pick my car up from alfred. Everything looks really good for the most part. Im having a few concerns over how the front A pillars are run and the dashbar were run. Thier farther back than They were suppose to be so clearence for the das and gauges is gona be real tight. I dont remember exactly where the A pillar down bars were at in relation to the lower mounting points for the dash so Il have to check that this weekend. Overall the Dash bar and front most part of the A pillar bars are maybe 5 or 6 inches away from the firewall instead of flush up against it.

Looks like what it came down to is my builder thought I was going to make a sheetmetal dash instead of the original and thats why the dashbar was moved closer to the driver to make it easier to build off of it. But I wont know anything until I can start mocking stuff up.

Aside from that I jus have to do some reinforcement work in the rear bumber support area to make it up to par for the Chute mount.

Tim, Did you ever get thos pics of the rear bumber supports and what you did with your Chute Mount???
Old 05-08-2007, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

looks really good
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
8 Second Club

Well I finally got the time to run out and Pick my car up from alfred. Everything looks really good for the most part. Im having a few concerns over how the front A pillars are run and the dashbar were run. Thier farther back than They were suppose to be so clearence for the das and gauges is gona be real tight. I dont remember exactly where the A pillar down bars were at in relation to the lower mounting points for the dash so Il have to check that this weekend. Overall the Dash bar and front most part of the A pillar bars are maybe 5 or 6 inches away from the firewall instead of flush up against it.

Looks like what it came down to is my builder thought I was going to make a sheetmetal dash instead of the original and thats why the dashbar was moved closer to the driver to make it easier to build off of it. But I wont know anything until I can start mocking stuff up.

Aside from that I jus have to do some reinforcement work in the rear bumber support area to make it up to par for the Chute mount.

Tim, Did you ever get thos pics of the rear bumber supports and what you did with your Chute Mount???
No, I forgot. I'll get some posted up.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:37 PM
FormerVendor

One question for either of you that back halfed your car... How did you determine where you wanted the axle centerline to be? I'm assuming thats what dictates where you welded the crossmember in for the 4 link bars to bolt to. Did you just set a wheel up in there and get the centerline from that? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69vette
One question for either of you that back halfed your car... How did you determine where you wanted the axle centerline to be? I'm assuming thats what dictates where you welded the crossmember in for the 4 link bars to bolt to. Did you just set a wheel up in there and get the centerline from that? Thanks.

My understanding is the new axle Center line is the same as it was stock. Im pretty sure when it was explained to my by the guy that was doing my car you mark the originial axle center line and that line corresponds to the high point on the frame rails. Line the two up and where ever the front crossmember lines up on the body thats where it gets welded in along as its structurally ideal. I may be wrong tho but thats how i understood it. My rear rails were already formed so It made them easier to install. I wish now that I would have jus bought straight 2x3 box tubing and of made my own like tim did since thiers more room for adjustment and I could have got a thicker wall rail. oh well, live and learn right

Last edited by JPMuscle; 05-09-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

some sick cars guys. can't wait to see what they do down the 1320. wish i had half the skill to try to do that
Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wild car!

I bet that engine combo makes alot of people scratch their heads
Old 05-10-2007, 04:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69vette
i drppoed a line from the front of the wheel well and from the back and marked them on the ground, found center of that and that was my axle centerline. this made sure the tire sat centered in the wheel opening. i cut my entire back of the car out first to make room to work, then just made markings on the floor for measuring where to put everything. you just gotta make sure the car doesnt move.

Quick Reply: Backhalf Project Started. Pic inside