Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing without an engine belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I'd like to see pics of this project before I lend it any credence. Att his point I'm sorry to say it sounds like the wishful thinking of a 14 yr old.
i agree completely, but i didnt think it was relevant or useful to bring it up.. the topic at hand is interesting enough.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just an idea, and i haven't read the whole thread, but why not run the alternater of the prop?? its dont alot in race cars, basically reduces the the alternator rpm. and means you can **** the weight back in the chasis to!

thanks Chris.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chuntington101
just an idea, and i haven't read the whole thread, but why not run the alternater of the prop?? its dont alot in race cars, basically reduces the the alternator rpm. and means you can **** the weight back in the chasis to!

thanks Chris.

running the alternator off the driveshaft is only effective for specific kinds of race cars (like asphalt circle track for example)

its not the best thing for drag racing, since the majority of the running time is with it not moving (pit tuning, staging lanes, actual staging, ect)..
Old 11-22-2006, 03:24 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I see in your sig your in Jeddah. You Saudis are insane, so I could see one of you guy building something like that. It'd also explain some of the grammar mistakes.

Anyhow, you see Pro racers making big power on turbo cars using cams with lots of overlap. But, on street cars running a turbo car with a cam with lots of overlap is normally sort of frowned upon. You will have less boost, as the ovelap will blled boost since you are pushing your cylinder charge out on overlap.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see in your sig your in Jeddah. You Saudis are insane, so I could see one of you guy building something like that. It'd also explain some of the grammar mistakes.

Anyhow, you see Pro racers making big power on turbo cars using cams with lots of overlap. But, on street cars running a turbo car with a cam with lots of overlap is normally sort of frowned upon. You will have less boost, as the ovelap will blled boost since you are pushing your cylinder charge out on overlap.
exactly, most FI cam iv seen use high lift low duration and have like a 116 LSA. Iv tried talking to the pro modified guys that run here in NC when IHRA comes by but they are so busy in the pits I dont wanna disturbe (sp?) them form their work. I try to wait till they are out or another class in running but they get out of there before I can talk to em. Would a nitrous cam carry the same characteristics of a boost cam?

As for the belt issue. Most IHRA cars dont run a alt. If your GTO is a track only car bring a battery charger and run without it. If its gonna be driven on the street as well, keep the alt and get a set of underdrive pullys. If you want to get rid of the powersteering junk it and get a manual rack so if you do get into a mess on the track itll be easier to correct. By the looks of your list you have the money to do this right, so dont skip on just removing a belt, set it up right.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Off topic>

You Saudis are insane, so I could see one of you guy building something like that.

I personally like the set up that someone posted earlier with a Kenne Belle s/c (I forget whether it was 2.3 or 2.8L S/C). It was a 408 hydraulic roller in a Corvette that made over 800RWTQ at about 2500 rpm and over 800RWHP peak. That is an insane combo!

On Topic>
Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 587 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
It doesn't matter if the electronics are getting 14 volts of 12 in this case. They were designed for 12 volts.

The amperage is what is pushing the power in this case. Don't worry about your ignition system.

However, I would think that the battery weights more than the alternator. Why not try keeping the alternator and putting in the battery just to start it?
If you disconnect your battery while the car is running you'll have a HUGE voltage spike in your alternator and it will probably fry it.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
Off topic>

I personally like the set up that someone posted earlier with a Kenne Belle s/c (I forget whether it was 2.3 or 2.8L S/C). It was a 408 hydraulic roller in a Corvette that made over 800RWTQ at about 2500 rpm and over 800RWHP peak. That is an insane combo!

On Topic>
that was americanHP's car and he is on here sometimes. oh and it was a 402 ls2 with a prototype 2.8ltr blower on there. oh and a stock LS6 cam!!!!

thanks Chris.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
If you disconnect your battery while the car is running you'll have a HUGE voltage spike in your alternator and it will probably fry it.
Every Alternator built since about 1972 has been internally regulated.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The alternator still has load on it. Now if nothing was attacted to the alternator...
Old 11-23-2006, 09:56 PM
v8
17,16,15,14,13,12,11 Drvr

well on a N/A 5.3 truck by-passing the alt. and power steering pump with a short belt get me 2/10's of a second and a little over 1mph, never tried it without belt, but with an electric water pump your good to go.

I get three passes on truck without putting stock belt back on. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

If you have anything serious done to the engine, it's not worth the risk of hoping that you also have the injector voltage offsets tuned right...it's one thing to lose an alternator going down the road at low throttle and low airflow and another when you're at full throttle with a TON of air moving into the engine that needs the right amount of fuel cause lean will mean expensive damage.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, but I have plotted the battery voltage in the car with Autotap and it is never continous anyways. Always jumping up and down.

Unless, you guys have seen otherwise.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

i dynoed back to back imediatly with and without belt, belt was driving only water pump and alternator, no p/s, i absolutly hate p/s at the track, way to sensitive, i feel much more under control without it. anyway, i gained 15rwhp, and ive yet to see a gain of more than about 5rwhp from a ewp so after i put my ewp on i still did it, i usually trapped better but i only tried it a few times and i guess i was hitting the tires harder since the car wouldnt bogg as easy and id always spin a lil bit, mph was definatly better, if i could have gotten multiple passes back to back and tuned the car for no belt i definalty could have gained some ET
Old 11-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I dunno how much power an alt. alont takes to run.. but with an underdrive pulley and just the alt. running.. I can't imagine it would be much. Not enough to be worth the risk of having an electrical problem that could mess with the fueling, especially with the motor singing along at 6500+ rpm the entire time.

my .02
Old 11-25-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know I'm the minority here... but for safety sake, leave it on. You're going to feel like a jackass when you're in a wheelchair over this stupid thing. Safety first... it sounds gay, but its the truth. You get one life/spine/brain, GM makes millions of cars. Smash head on into a wall and walk away because some bean counter didn't cheese out on the racecar and you'll understand when i'm coming from.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Launching!

let me know how things turn out when you blow the intake apart from the twin turbocharged 300 shot due to ONE weak spark. OR you could turn up the boost .1 psi and overcome the losses from the alternator.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by treyZ28
I know I'm the minority here... but for safety sake, leave it on. You're going to feel like a jackass when you're in a wheelchair over this stupid thing. Safety first... it sounds gay, but its the truth. You get one life/spine/brain, GM makes millions of cars. Smash head on into a wall and walk away because some bean counter didn't cheese out on the racecar and you'll understand when i'm coming from.
um, what are you talkin about dude, there not any saftey risk in pulling a belt, worst case if you dont have a good battery you looze power and or screw up your a/f mixture if you have a weak battery posibly leaning out the motor but i doubt thats gunna put you in a wall and powersteering in a fast car is more a saftey risk that a prevenative, make these cars way to sensitive
Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevewix
let me know how things turn out when you blow the intake apart from the twin turbocharged 300 shot due to ONE weak spark. OR you could turn up the boost .1 psi and overcome the losses from the alternator.
I dont ususally step into threads like this...because Im still learning. But this sounds like the best take on the situation. With all the electronics in these cars, worrying about loosing power is the last thing that I want to deal with.

Also...arent aftermarket fuel pumps rated while at 14volts? Since thats what they are run at while in the car? So, if you are now running them at 12v, can that mess up the fuel delievery? i dont know how touchy things are with twins and a big shot...but again. Its something I wouldnt want to worry about.

Justin
Old 11-29-2006, 07:47 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hesham
give me one week and i well post pic. of my car
Well, you posted this on 11/22 and it's 11/29......
Where are they?