Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange shocks - one extends further?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange shocks - one extends further?

I recently installed front strange double adjustable drag shocks.
I had the front of the car jacked up to set rear sway bar preload when I noticed one of the front wheels was coming further out fo the wheel well.
I took the shocks off, and compared them, the shocks themselves are identical.
The upper mount looks to be a little longer on the driver side, pushing the whole shock down further.
What gives? Anyone seen this before? Any idea on a fix?

I tried talking to strange, they said they designed the shocks for Billingsley & Billingsley tested them. Strange has never actually installed a set of their own shocks. I tried to contact Billingsley, but wouldn't you know it, they don't take phone calls... No response to email either...

TIA
Craig
Old 11-24-2006, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It takes awhile sometimes, but they usually answer e-mails. plus it is the holidays.

I'de also set the car on as flat as level ground as you can find, and put the correct amount of drivers weight in the seat. put the correct amount of fuel in the car, and set proper air pressure in the tires.

Then you know your true neutral and set your preload from there.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:57 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah, it was in the garage, so the ground was flat. I didn't have any problems setting the pre-load, it just happened that I noticed the issue with the shocks while adjusting the sway bar.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im trying to understand why you have the front of the car jacked up to set the preload.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

That is what the directions from Spohn said to do, unload the front suspension by putting the jack under the center of the k-member, put the driver in the drivers seat, and adjust the passenger side end-link until the back of the drivers side door jam is 1/16" lower than the passenger side.

Back to the shocks - somebody else is running these shocks, has anybody else seen this?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

C'mon, any ideas why this is happening? Is there an aftermarket spring perch I'm supposed to be using with these shocks?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

i got my shocks from Billingsley and from what i recall they were the same size for both shocks
Old 11-28-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Here's some pics, it's hard to make out, but you can see that one of the perches looks to be a little bit longer (almost 1"). This is the only difference I can find from one side to the other. The shock body is identical, the extended lenght of the shocks is the same, but it seems that one of the perches is a little bigger, pushing the entire spring/shock combo further away from the body.
Attached Thumbnails Strange shocks - one extends further?-long_perch.jpg   Strange shocks - one extends further?-short_perch.jpg  
Old 11-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much lower does one wheel droop over the other?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Second Club

The drivers side extends down about 3/4 - 1" lower than the passenger side.
I don't really know what effect this will have on launching the car, but I bet it won't help.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

If you've ever noticed, the drivers side is always a bit higher than the passenger side on a stock suspension car to account for driver weight.

The driver side spring cup is longer for that reason as the stock coil overs aren't adjustable.

It's the installed spring height you're dealing with, not the shock, so just set the castle nut on the shock body so that ride height is 1/8" higher on the driver side without the driver in the car and you're golden.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, well I guess I was being paranoid about nothing. The drives side is just over 1/16" higher w/o driver. I just never noticed that w/ the front suspension unloaded the drivers side wheel came out of the wheel well that much further than the pass. side.
So everybodys car does this?

Craig