Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissapointed in my new HAL QA1's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the front QA1's up front and the rear cant rember what they are but there 8way adjustbles. yes i know they all work together and i wasnt expecting Drastic improvments with just the fronts, but i was hoping for a little diffrence. witch there wasnt any.

going ot try it again this sunday and see what happens.

Originally Posted by Fire67
someone else asked this but I did not see an answer... Do you have the Fronts AND rears? If you've only installed the fronts and are expecting to get a drastic improvement your setting yourself up for disappointment. The suspension is something that really needs to work as a unit, so that you can dial in the front to rear weight transfer. Running fronts only will help to get the weight shifted rearward, but without the rears there to plant the tires it becomes a waisted effort.

My front QA1's are double adjustable so I cannot even compare to single adjustables. But here's the extremely general rule of thumb as I understand it:
Fronts: stiffer compression with a soft rebound(extension)
Rears: stiffer copression and rebound

As a baseline to start with on my QA1's I went right in the middle of the range for the rear (single adjustable) and 12compression 9 rebound. The double adjustables have 24 clicks each ****.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like them, my car feels like a boat.....and the no front sway bar adds to that
Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 AM
10 Second Club

mine dont feel like a boat, i just want it ot hook up a lil better.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If those are not the Mickey Thompson radials, then your tire pressure is too high. I run 13 to 13.5 in mine, any more and they won't hook. I also have to heat the hell out of my ET streets on the first pass of the day to get them to hook well. If you are following a lot of street cars that are laying hard rubber on the track, start your car out of the groove a little and you may find a better surface.

Also, do not do any dry hops after your burn out. That tears your good heated rubber right off your tire and you won't hook.

Your QA1's will help big time, it takes some runs to get the car dialed in.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 AM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

silver95 - Also, do not do any dry hops after your burn out. That tears your good heated rubber right off your tire and you won't hook.

Thank you, I didn't want to do it. That is one thing that bothers me about people at the track. I don't know about where you are, but it seems to be mainly the mustang guys here where I live. They will pull the tires off the ground before they stage and then when the lights fall they spin, and then say "well it was hookin' back there."
Old 12-13-2006, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

thanks for the tips man, Dry hopes are a nono, i have never done that aftert my burn out. i do run around 18 t0 16psi in my tires thats where my car has all ways liked air at. plus on MT web site for et streets says cars over 3000 pounds use 16psi and up, and trust me car is a lot heaver than 3000 pounds

Originally Posted by silver95
If those are not the Mickey Thompson radials, then your tire pressure is too high. I run 13 to 13.5 in mine, any more and they won't hook. I also have to heat the hell out of my ET streets on the first pass of the day to get them to hook well. If you are following a lot of street cars that are laying hard rubber on the track, start your car out of the groove a little and you may find a better surface.

Also, do not do any dry hops after your burn out. That tears your good heated rubber right off your tire and you won't hook.

Your QA1's will help big time, it takes some runs to get the car dialed in.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by silverZ98
thanks for the tips man, Dry hopes are a nono, i have never done that aftert my burn out. i do run around 18 t0 16psi in my tires thats where my car has all ways liked air at. plus on MT web site for et streets says cars over 3000 pounds use 16psi and up, and trust me car is a lot heaver than 3000 pounds
Mine is 3650 with me in it. If I ran that much air pressure I would spin too. Trust me, lower them down and give it a try. My brother Bob at EPP runs his Camaro at the same PSI and is coming out at 6000+. He hooked so hard at Muncie, IN that he ripped a Lingenfelter aluminum drive shaft in half, and people usually don't hook that well there.

We don't run tubes in the ET streets but do have 32 rim screws in them.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 PM
Banned

Sell the shocks and drop the tire pressure. I used to run those tires at 12-13 psi on motor, and around 9.5-10 psi on spray.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

why sell the shocks? and tires work diffrent on others car my car likes 16psi to 18psi. thats what i all ways ran with the old stock shocks. sont see why it whouldnt be same with new shocks. plus 13 psi to 10 psi man you brave my car all over the track when i tried that low