Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat mounting/NHRA tech question - Madman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seat mounting/NHRA tech question - Madman?

Im about to order a set of seats for my car. Its still really a toss up for me whether or not to get the plastic Summit seats or RCI/JAZ/Kirkey aluminum seats.

However I have a mounting question that will help me decide which way to go....
I remember reading something in the NHRA rulebook about fiberglass seats needing additional reinforcements(steel frame attached to roll bar/cage).. Wouldnt plastic seats need the same?
Or can I just mount them to floor brackets and the cross-bar like you would aluminum seats?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Well I've seen both. My buddy has a 9.2X car with the plasitc seat and a cage and its not attached and he runs in sanctioned events IHRA/NHRA. On the other hand, alot of the aluminum seats I've seen w/ a cage are attached. It may be a ET safety requirement that it needs to be connected to the cage. I don't have my handbook handy. -mark
Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The book says that non oem type seats must be braced to the crossbar, thats pretty clear to me. Then it says something along the lines of fiberglass/composite seats need to framed with steel unless the material is a certain thickness, IIRC. It says nothing about plastic seats.

Im already planning to brace my seat to the crossbar, no matter which seat I end up getting. So thats no big deal.

I mocked the roll bars up with the stock seats so I can even run those for a little while if I need to.

To clarify my question: Would a plastic seat be considered the same as a fiberglass or composite seat in that it needs a metal frame (1" tube I think) if not up to thickness requirements? OR
Will I be OK with tech if I just mount to the stock floor mounts and the crossbar?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Composite of fiberglass seat do need a frame to support it. The plastic seats from Jaz etc do not need a frame. Any aftermarket seats need a support to the main hoop seat belt bar.

225-343-9029
Old 01-12-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Composite of fiberglass seat do need a frame to support it. The plastic seats from Jaz etc do not need a frame. Any aftermarket seats need a support to the main hoop seat belt bar.
Exactly the answer I was looking for!!! Thanks again Madman!

Im definitely ordering the Summit seats today!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since it came up, for anyone who does a search and finds this thread, if you go to a single layer fiberglass style seat, The nhra minimum frame size is 1/2". Aftermarket aluminum seats must have a reinforced headrest.

Last edited by promod1955; 01-13-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Seat mounting/NHRA tech question - Madman?