Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for drag racing is it better to have a shorter or longer torque arm? why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to ad another thought....

My fiance has always been a big fan of my long T/A......
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 PM
LC
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mike#9
No...wasn't taken as a compliment. Goal for building good suspension setup is to transfer weight and power to the tires and to the ground..............not to the rear bumper. Riding the rear bumper.....might as well be spinning the tires of the line
indeed.. but riding the rear bumper and spinning the tires of the line are two different situations..

riding the bumper = damn hookin
spinning the tires = pretty self explained..

Anyway. thats my point of view.. and as ricey as it may sound.. i would rather drag the bumper than spin the hell out...
Old 02-13-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
Anyway. thats my point of view.. and as ricey as it may sound.. i would rather drag the bumper than spin the hell out...
Spinning only hurts the ego, dragging the bumper hurts the pocketbook and MANY hours of work
Old 02-14-2007, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chpmnsws6
Spinning only hurts the ego, dragging the bumper hurts the pocketbook and MANY hours of work

thats why god invented wheelie bars lol
Old 02-14-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
indeed.. but riding the rear bumper and spinning the tires of the line are two different situations..

riding the bumper = damn hookin
spinning the tires = pretty self explained..

Point was that they both tank the **** out of your e.t.'s

And both are not a desired outcome after doing your suspension work...

But riding the bumper will tank the **** out of your car too!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

In all of our testing with different T/A's the short one works for most guys. Now you start makeing some power and things need to looked at differently. Our short T/A was tested on Super Street and Super Stock type of cars. Where you want the front end to jerk up out of the lights when they leave. Like someone else has stated it makes the car hit the tires harder to make it leave. Most of these cars are shall we say Lazy at the starting line..So with a good shock combo and a short T/A that is how we get the car to react..
Old 02-17-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Mike you are very good at what you do. Your exhausts and fab work is primo stuff. What I dont understand is why you go out of your way to bash and make comments just to start ****. You know nothing about my t/a. You make assumptions on what you read on the internet. To set the record straight there have been VERY few cars that have been on the bumper with my arm. The cars that have drug the bumper have been competitors pieces. If you set my arm correctly the car will hook and go BUT as everyone knows the only way to win is lean on it. So at times the bumper is there.
Not sure why you are getting pissy here. I was actually sending a customer to ask you the question. You are the sponsor here. Everyone praises you for your work. I don't have to praise you but nothing was meant negatively by that post. Go have a beer or 12 man.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Not sure why you are getting pissy here. I was actually sending a customer to ask you the question. You are the sponsor here. Everyone praises you for your work. I don't have to praise you but nothing was meant negatively by that post. Go have a beer or 12 man.

I thought getting on the bumper meant the car is dead hooking? If the car doesnt hook it doesnt stand a chance of commin up? The reason it gets on the bumper is the lack of wheelie bars. If Madman's T/A's are as good as they say....... maybe he should sell the T/A's with wheelie bars as a package or include a disclaimer: May cause bumper damage, Use at your own risk. Not responsible for damages or neck breaking launches.

You can keep a car with **** loads of grip and power from cumming up... unless you make it front wheel drive or Tie the front end to a rail on the track like dem Jr. Dragsters at Speedzone!!!??

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
I thought getting on the bumper meant the car is dead hooking? If the car doesnt hook it doesnt stand a chance of commin up? The reason it gets on the bumper is the lack of wheelie bars. If Madman's T/A's are as good as they say....... maybe he should sell the T/A's with wheelie bars as a package or include a disclaimer: May cause bumper damage, Use at your own risk. Not responsible for damages or neck breaking launches.

You can keep a car with **** loads of grip and power from cumming up... unless you make it front wheel drive or Tie the front end to a rail on the track like dem Jr. Dragsters at Speedzone!!!??

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
You do not want a car to 'dead-hook'. In order to achieve maximum wheel speed you will need to turn the tire over. 'Dead Hooking' will stand a car up on a bumper or get it on the wheelie bars so hard you will unload the tires. A certain amount of wheel speed is to be encouraged to achieve maximum ET.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ben R
You do not want a car to 'dead-hook'. In order to achieve maximum wheel speed you will need to turn the tire over. 'Dead Hooking' will stand a car up on a bumper or get it on the wheelie bars so hard you will unload the tires. A certain amount of wheel speed is to be encouraged to achieve maximum ET.
This is true. If you talk to most serious racers they will tell you that putting a car on the bumper isn't exactly a sign of a good working suspension but more so of a lack of power out of the hole. Like Ben said a car needs a little bit of tire "spin" or rotation at the line to make the best ET pass.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben R
That is not true for a small tire low HP car.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
If you were to RAISE the front adjustable mount of the torque arm, and kept the LCA's at the same angle, you would be RAISING the instant center

The IC on a torque arm car will be directly below the arm where the centerline of the control arms hit. If you change the angle of the control arms you change the IC.

Quick Reply: for drag racing is it better to have a shorter or longer torque arm? why?