Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Procharger Vs. Big N20 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:25 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
At the time it was me and like a dozen other people Because I was pushing 14Psi Ati was not very helpfull. They did offer to sell me a new blower though

I Under stand things change and products get better but that explosion cost me around 12k in money I did not have to waste It was way cool do not get me wrong but the marks it left lingered long after it was gone.

One of our customers runs a D1SC. He had to have it done twice last year. Things happen. It is the cost you pay. I am used to it and choose my weapons accordinging.

I would run a blower again I just expect upkeep as with any thing As "I" Posted Blowers win the 'Cool' facter hands down
3rd full season on this D1SC, doesnt leak and doesnt make any odd noises so I see no reason to do anything with it. And I run it a little over max impeller quite a bit.

I dunno, I have been doing this for over 25 years and I dont think I have personally seen 12 broken prochargers in my life. Must be the good air up there

What exactly did he have done to it twice last year? My original LS1 P1SC procharger is nearly 6 years old and has been on three cars, all daily drivers and is still going. Packy on the board here owns it, as far as I know its never been back to ATI..

I'm not trying to argue about it really and I can care less what people put people on their car (i'm not trying to sell anything), but this is the first I ever heard of anyone getting street blowers serviced once a year..

Last edited by kp; 03-03-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:39 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my old p1sc is on its 4th owner and doing strong of course its had its routine fliud changes but they've all been daily driver applications but been running strong since 02.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

It does have its pros and its cons....

Pros: procharger the power is always there.

Cons: you have to fill the NOS up every time, and for the procharger its about an extra 80+ lbs.

If it were me I would def do the NOS
Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i found a deal on a front mount turbo I have been thinking on to..really my goal is to get into the 9s.I would just hate to spend all that money and run no faster than I am now
Old 03-10-2007, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There's a GTO in town here who ran 10.80 with a street blower AND a small 50 shot of nitrous. It's very sleeper-like, but, he seems to like the little extra hit of N20 ... not sure ... been thinking of doing something similar to that ... just an idea ... no experienced with either ... like the concept, though.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
There's a GTO in town here who ran 10.80 with a street blower AND a small 50 shot of nitrous. It's very sleeper-like, but, he seems to like the little extra hit of N20 ... not sure ... been thinking of doing something similar to that ... just an idea ... no experienced with either ... like the concept, though.
I ran 10.60s on a 100% stock LS1 with FLP headers, P1SC and a 50 shot up to like 5500rpm and then shut it off. Honestly it was great street combo. Problem with blower cars is they slow down when it gets hot unless you have an air to water intercooler and do ice. But in the summer the 50 shot would get me easy 10.80s on 90 degree days and no worries of bottle heaters. When it cooled off the car would run 10.9s on the blower alone so I would just take the bottle off.

Seems like a lot of work but I used a dry shot and recalibrated the MAF to work with it and used a window switch to shut it off at 5500, about 350.00 worth of stuff used. Plus the 15lb bottle would last forever, filled it twice all summer. Really good way to go and never hurt a thing.

http://video.ls1tech.com/search/p1sc...64b8f81bfe.htm
Old 03-10-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

^^^ Thats hard to beat KP...
Old 03-10-2007, 10:10 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
^^^ Thats hard to beat KP...
Hard to beat, pump gas, zero mainteance - even a LS1 intake manifold.

FWIW I got bored with it, took the heater box, stereo stuff, put light seats in, took the blower off, put a set of 59cc patriot ported LS6 'style' heads, 224 XER cam, took the cats off, put anLS6 intake and added a NX MAF kit with a 125 shot and ran 10.40 @ 130 but broke the #7 piston on the last pass in this video trying the 150 pills

Car was around 200lbs lighter then it was with the blower/n2o so it was about even I guess. Car ran 11.50 off the bottle which wasnt too bad for 3 years ago. That poor car went through a lot, before the blower it had a M6 and TEA 5.3 heads/224 cam/12 bolt then put it back 100% back stock, then put the blower/TH350 and 9" in, then ttok the blower off and put heads/cam/n2o on it - all in one year I see the car pretty regualr still and it has less then 11,000 miles on it . Its a weekend bracket racer only running 10.90s with nice forged H/C 346 and is one of the cleanest Black 2000 SS's you will ever find..

Video of the H/C and nitrous, car was needing a bigger rear sway bar..

http://video.ls1tech.com/search/MAF+...2f8b83cd15.htm
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

KP

I am glad you have good luck. Back in the mid 90s ATI seemed to have some problems. There was even a class action Law suit against them. They did not even have the blowers you are running today. I am sure had I been running a vortech every thing would have been fine.

Then again I know people running N2O who have never hurt an Engine I really have nothing bad to say about blowers except for the problems I had....and we had a few of them. That influences my choice...what can I say?

BTW not everyone here is a kid I also have been doing this for a while You MIGHT have 2 years on me
Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

KP

I am glad you have good luck. Back in the mid 90s ATI seemed to have some problems. There was even a class action Law suit against them. They did not even have the blowers you are running today. I am sure had I been running a vortech every thing would have been fine.

Then again I know people running N2O who have never hurt an Engine I really have nothing bad to say about blowers except for the problems I had....and we had a few of them. That influences my choice...what can I say?

BTW not everyone here is a kid I also have been doing this for a while You MIGHT have 2 years on me
I dont imply anyone is a 'kid,' I can honestly say I have seen more engines blow up from N2O then any other single thing due to the sheer number of them and ease if blowing them up. I had a Vortech SQ blow up on a 4.6 mustang, so did many others, enough where they quit selling them for a while. But there are guys that will tell me I'm crazy and that it never happened, either way I dont tell people not to use Vortech superchargers because of it. I dont consider myself lucky at all, go post in the FI section how and ask many people have had head units fail and/or send them back once a year.

I dont tell anyone what to run or not to run, I'm just saying I have never heard of anyone sending a street type vortech or ATI back once a year to get serviced - thats it and nothing more. If you dont like them and thats what you tell your customers thats fine, like I said I'm not selling anything and if people stick mice in their *** and light them on fire to pick up a few tenths I can care less if that makes them happy
Old 04-13-2007, 08:18 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
like I said I'm not selling anything and if people stick mice in their *** and light them on fire to pick up a few tenths I can care less if that makes them happy
thanks for the sig...
Old 04-15-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^LOL good one Kev, I put over 20k hard street/strip miles on that D1-SC before I sold it to you and I WAS spinning it at max impeller speed up here so I guess it was considered broken in when it got to you Keep beating the **** out of it, I'm still convinced you'll get a 8.99 with it.
J
Old 05-14-2007, 02:13 AM
10 Second Club

I'm thinking about using both as well. I have everything for the nitrous to go in the car....and that sh#t adds up if you do it right. I could have gotten a procharger for what I paid for the nitrous. I've got a NX wet kit, automatic bottle heater, FJO controller, FPSS, N2O filter, Stand alone fuel system, and Nitro Daves 85mm plate. I got the plate because I plan on using a blower as well. I was planning on a turbo...but I have always liked the Porchargers...I just never thought they could make as much power...especially to go 8's. KP...you have changed my mind. I think I will keep all my nitrous stuff, and use it with a D1SC Procharger....ofcourse, after I get some new pistons, heads, and stuff like that. Are there any down falls of using the juice with a procharger???
Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02SS:ZEUS
I'm thinking about using both as well. I have everything for the nitrous to go in the car....and that sh#t adds up if you do it right. I could have gotten a procharger for what I paid for the nitrous. I've got a NX wet kit, automatic bottle heater, FJO controller, FPSS, N2O filter, Stand alone fuel system, and Nitro Daves 85mm plate. I got the plate because I plan on using a blower as well. I was planning on a turbo...but I have always liked the Porchargers...I just never thought they could make as much power...especially to go 8's. KP...you have changed my mind. I think I will keep all my nitrous stuff, and use it with a D1SC Procharger....ofcourse, after I get some new pistons, heads, and stuff like that. Are there any down falls of using the juice with a procharger???
Only problem with nitrous and blowers is distribution, personally unless I was running a dry shot or 75 and down wet I would do a small direct port with a blower.

I would concentrate on one or the other to be honest, either will run very well but it mostly has to do with your overall combination and your goals with the car. Dealing with two large power adders at once can get expensive
Old 05-14-2007, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

I had a nothing setup too... big YSi, 8:1 348ci + ported 6.0 heads and LS6 intake... 9.40@143 at 3450-3500 raceweight.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Banned

Gosh, I don't like to say anything negative about Nitrous since a car of mine was once featured on NX's web page. And I never have run either recently on your combo so I should say nothing, but. I'll go Pro Charger for the following reason. And I know a good programer will address what I am about to say. Nitrous can often be too much of a shock to the car and the run. Building power into a run makes more sense to me today. Many of the other reasons have already been written
Old 05-17-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Gosh, I don't like to say anything negative about Nitrous since a car of mine was once featured on NX's web page. And I never have run either recently on your combo so I should say nothing, but. I'll go Pro Charger for the following reason. And I know a good programer will address what I am about to say. Nitrous can often be too much of a shock to the car and the run. Building power into a run makes more sense to me today. Many of the other reasons have already been written
I can show you a dyno over lay of how a nitorus hit can be taylored to mimick a turbo's curves, hp and tq. It's all in the set-up. You can have nice progressive torque, or you can have the mondo low rpm torque spike.

Anyway, I voted 408 and the spray. That's what i am putting together and starting with a 300 multi stage dry hit. The 408 can easily be set for 500hp n/a, and then spray, so a nice dual duty street/stripper. I like the fact that after racing I can get in the car and travel across country with the a/c on and no worries.

Robert
Old 07-20-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Robert you missed the part about N2O being **** and boost being god didn't you
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Robert you missed the part about N2O being **** and boost being god didn't you
Yea, I must have missed it, but now I know.
Robert
Old 07-21-2007, 03:33 PM
12 Second Club

I'll only speak here because our group has one of each car that has been talked about. Ls6 motor with a 125 shot in a 01 T/A, T76 01 SS, and an F1C Firehawk. If i had to pick of which one is the most fun to be in and drive it would be the firehawk. Personally i like dit better when it had a D1sc on it but it is his car. The nitrous car is basically what i have done to the 30th only he has the bottle. The turbo car is a friggin blast and makes you feel like you are on a roller coaster, but it seems he always has more maintenace than the procharged car. Power wise the turbo car made 748 last yr, The nitrous car made 393 n/a, and the procharged hawk made 630 on the D1 and small motor. I expect the hawk to make around 825-850 this year.