Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the track for the first time, few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the track for the first time, few ?s

I'm taking my 02 Z28 M6 to Atco soon to see what she'll do in stock form. My goal really is to just have some fun while minimizing the chance for a lot of wear and tear and breakage (car is showroom condition w/ only 11k on it).

Questions:
I'm running goodyear GS-C tires, should I lower the pressure or just keep em at 30psi?

Water-box... it seems not many people go around the water at Atco, seems kinda difficult to do actually with the limited space around it, any advice about this would be appreciated.

Launch, not really sure what is best to minimize stress, not spin, and get a half-way decent time, tips here are welcome.

Any other advice about the track, procedure etc you have would be great, thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Drive around the water box. As for the launch you can ride the clutch out takes some practice to get it right. Dumping the clutch will put some stress on the rear. Riding the clutch out will put stress on the clutch. Good luck with your runs.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shatterz
I'm taking my 02 Z28 M6 to Atco soon to see what she'll do in stock form. My goal really is to just have some fun while minimizing the chance for a lot of wear and tear and breakage (car is showroom condition w/ only 11k on it).

Questions:
I'm running goodyear GS-C tires, should I lower the pressure or just keep em at 30psi?

Water-box... it seems not many people go around the water at Atco, seems kinda difficult to do actually with the limited space around it, any advice about this would be appreciated.

Launch, not really sure what is best to minimize stress, not spin, and get a half-way decent time, tips here are welcome.

Any other advice about the track, procedure etc you have would be great, thanks.

Drop pressure in the tire it will help alittle.

Go around water as much as possible the least amount of water you can get on the front tires the better. Your rear will follow the front and the more water you track in the rear tires path the less traction you will get.

If you are in a stock rear with a 6spd you are on borrowed time especially at the track where traction will be at its best for any given set up. Come out soft and roll onto the throttle. Then continue to raise rpm's and roll on harder each time untill you get to the threshold of breaking loose, then back down to where you held the best.

Remember you will not get the best numbers out of your car in one trip to the track.

Good luck,
Dave