Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage guys inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:41 PM
JUICED96Z

Default Cage guys inside

For those that have installed 10 points and up or have had them done and or have pulled the dash out.

I am supposed to get my car back from the cage install on Saturday. It got a WOLFE 10 point with harnesses, passenger air bag delete, HVAC box delete.

They disconected the battery as I was leaving their house (both tig welders by trade and do cages on the side) and got to work. Put everything back together and the car will not crank or start. No fuel pump, just lights.

He said when you go to start the car its like there is no battery in the car but everything else like the lights work.

Me and a buddy said it HAS to be the VATS and its not connected right or something because they checked all the grounds and connections that they could see with the dash on.
We say VATS because nothing works engine related. They even replaced the ignition control module thing.

I told him to call up WOLFE and a few other speed shops and see what they say but I am thinking something got screwed up with the VATS.

The little resistor is still in the ignition key.

Ideas?

They asked if I still plan on getting it at around 9am on Saturday and I said yes .
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same thing happened to me before when I put my cam in and it was the vats.
I think its the purple wire on the starter but whichever it is.
I found it and tapped a wire into it. I turned the key to the run position and touched the wire to a hot for a second. It turned over and started. I had to start it that way for a few days then it went back to normal. I had problems with it every now and then and race it all the time and when it happend it would be at the track. so I wired a push button to it so that if it happens at the track I can bypass it instead of sitting there no being able to race because of the stupid VATS. btw it was turned off in the computer but still caused problems for me.

so if you wire it to that and it doesn't work I don't know
Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW the Vats moduel is mounted to the Passenger Air bag
Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
BTW the Vats moduel is mounted to the Passenger Air bag

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HMMMMMMMM

I think my car will run tommorow
Old 03-16-2007, 01:36 AM
8 Second Club

when i did my cage originally, i forgot to re-connect the ground wire that screws to the floor near the driver seat along the door sill. no fuel pump without that ground. it was an lt1 car but i think its still the same. just incase it isnt the vats. hope you get it figured out.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonppr
The same thing happened to me before when I put my cam in and it was the vats.
I think its the purple wire on the starter but whichever it is.
I found it and tapped a wire into it. I turned the key to the run position and touched the wire to a hot for a second. It turned over and started. I had to start it that way for a few days then it went back to normal. I had problems with it every now and then and race it all the time and when it happend it would be at the track. so I wired a push button to it so that if it happens at the track I can bypass it instead of sitting there no being able to race because of the stupid VATS. btw it was turned off in the computer but still caused problems for me.

so if you wire it to that and it doesn't work I don't know
By Disabling the VATS in the computer, is only have the battle. When the Vats is not activated, it will drop out the starter disable relay and it will disable the fuel injectors. By disabling it in the computer you are taking care of the fueling issue, but not the starter relay. You need to supply a switched 12volt source to this relay. It is back by the passenger side air bag. I my memory serves me correctly, you will see to big yellow wires coming off of it. Or you could ditch the relay and splice the yellow wires together. By doing this you will be able to ditch the VATS module all together. Thats what I have done.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me about who does the work on the side
Old 03-16-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smoknta
By Disabling the VATS in the computer, is only have the battle. When the Vats is not activated, it will drop out the starter disable relay and it will disable the fuel injectors. By disabling it in the computer you are taking care of the fueling issue, but not the starter relay. You need to supply a switched 12volt source to this relay. It is back by the passenger side air bag. I my memory serves me correctly, you will see to big yellow wires coming off of it. Or you could ditch the relay and splice the yellow wires together. By doing this you will be able to ditch the VATS module all together. Thats what I have done.
thanks, good info
Old 03-17-2007, 12:57 PM
JUICED96Z

Got the car back. It was some of the VATS wiring/purple starter wiring harness that was hidden that was not hooked up. Battery died for good when I took it by a friends house, had to go get an optima....

6'2 and 210 pounds make getting in and out with bent door bars a PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only think thats weird is they mounted the over shoulder harnesses to the floor, not the bar...