Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance question

Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 PM
JUICED96Z

Default Insurance question

For those with street driven higly moded cars.

Does your insurance company know about your mods? Geico right now has my car down as stock.

I am affraid of what they will do if they found out what I have in it or going in it.

For built cars/moded cars do they just raise your rates or drop you or????
Old 03-18-2007, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you race your car in timed events Geico tends to drop you. This is pretty common amongst most large carriers now. What you need to do is get Additional part and equipment coverage. This causes your premium to increase but affords you more coverage in the event of a loss.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:19 PM
JUICED96Z

Well it only has liability so in a wreck at the track I would be paying for it.

What would they cover and how much on average would it cost?

Most of the stuff in a total would just get parted out.

Not worried about theft or break in's.

Wondering if it would just be better to keep in stock on paper but what happens if I get it out and it gets blasted and insurance comes and sees that is um.... FAR from stock and sees the cage and all? Even though its the other persons fault would I get droped and hosed with a trashed car and no money?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can talk to your insurance company about special insurance that covers you at the track...i have USAA and they said they have it....but it is extra...so before i go to the track im going to look into that....racing legally is expensive...
Old 03-21-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazboy99
...racing legally is expensive...
You got that right, but in FL its even more expensive getting caught doing it illegally. Bail, loss of vehicle...permanently, cost of court, probation, loss of license for a year.... It all adds up.

Racing is expensive any way you do it
Old 03-21-2007, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

What are you worried about? Them dropping you cause all the stuff you have or them not covering all the added mods? Is this your daily driver? My thinking is the less they know the better. -Mark
Old 03-21-2007, 03:39 PM
JUICED96Z

Them droping the car AND my daily driver lol.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Then I wouldn't tell them anything. I don't see how they could drop you by you adding a cage (its safer). Unless if like you removed the front bumper support and rear ended somebody. That I could see them saying bye bye but for everything else....Mums the word. -Mark
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 PM
9 Second Club

If you drive it alot and don't qualify for collectors insurance then if you remove bumper supports, airbags etc. I would bet you may not be covered and the worst part is if there is personal injury to yourself of the other driver/passenger you are exposed to lawsuit. If you have all the bumpers safety equip etc you should be ok BUT I'm not an insurance agent so this is just speculation. If you get collestors insurance you can tell them about the mods and you should be fine BUT you can only drive it 3000 miles a year or less.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:21 PM
JUICED96Z

Right now its insured to like 3,000 miles a year.

I put roughly 1,000 a year on it in reality. This summer I will probably have them drop it to 2,000

Airbags are still in and so are the bumper supports and they will stay that way for the next few seasons at least.

The one nice thing going for me is that I have been with Geico for almost 9 years. My parents have been with them a lot longer then that so they try and take care of us but I know they can be ruethless LOL!!!!!!!!

No speeding or racing tickets....
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
kp
8 Second Club

If you tell them you have a roll bar and 'performance' modifications you will most likely get dropped.

Just hope you dont get in an accident and someone calls it 'street racing' with a modded car because your insurance company will run in the opposite direction come lawsuit time..
Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 PM
JUICED96Z

and I am sure people would do that even if I was mind my own buisness and get blasted.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:37 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
and I am sure people would do that even if I was mind my own buisness and get blasted.
You bet they would, the land of opportunity..
Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mentioned something about drag racing to my insurance company because I wanted to make sure it was covered while on the trailer on the way to the track and they said: There is no way we can cover your car in any way at all since you told us you drag race and there is no way you are getting life insurance from us.
I changed insurance and kept my mouth shut.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans
If you drive it alot and don't qualify for collectors insurance then if you remove bumper supports, airbags etc. I would bet you may not be covered and the worst part is if there is personal injury to yourself of the other driver/passenger you are exposed to lawsuit. If you have all the bumpers safety equip etc you should be ok BUT I'm not an insurance agent so this is just speculation. If you get collestors insurance you can tell them about the mods and you should be fine BUT you can only drive it 3000 miles a year or less.
Since my car is no longer my daily I picked up a collectors car insurance. Its unlimited miles, full coverage including up to 17k if my car is totaled which is well over the value of it right now. However there are some qualifications like it has to be garage kept (had to take a picture to prove it), had to prove that I had another vehicle for daily use (another picture and proof of insurance) and had to do the same thing with my wife's car (pic and insurance), I can only drive it to car shows, and the "occasional" leisurely drive. I pay 279$ for the year. -Mark
Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
JUICED96Z

Well once I turn 25 (next year) I know my insurance will drop a lot (not that I am paying a lot now) and I have been thinking about collector car insurance for it then but I don't know.

I know a local crash investigator for the police department. I might ask him also and see what he says.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Since my car is no longer my daily I picked up a collectors car insurance. Its unlimited miles, full coverage including up to 17k if my car is totaled which is well over the value of it right now. However there are some qualifications like it has to be garage kept (had to take a picture to prove it), had to prove that I had another vehicle for daily use (another picture and proof of insurance) and had to do the same thing with my wife's car (pic and insurance), I can only drive it to car shows, and the "occasional" leisurely drive. I pay 279$ for the year. -Mark
Which collector company are you with? I've also been thinking about this. Which car do you have insured with the collector company?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know also.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put mine down as,I dont drive it to work..just on weekends, very low miles per year and mine is cheap
Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

why would you tell them you race the car?thats crasy most companies will drop you

Search this Thread