Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHRA question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NHRA question

I've searched this and am either just confused or stupid! If I am running in the 10's I am sure I need a trans blanket, but do I need a flexplate shield as well? Or is it a one or the other thing? It is for a th400 and I have an TCI SFI approved flexplate if that even matters. Never needed to worry about all of this with the old setup!

Any blankets or shields anyone would recommend for the th400 if I do need both?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a CSR carbon fiber shield on my car covering a th400... I bought it off noyzee when he switched to a glide, he never had a problem in the 9's with just that shield on the tranny. It bolts right to the motor with the bolts that hold the tranny to the motor and covers the entire thing from the block to just about where the output on the tranny is.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had always figued if i'm right there getting a tranny built, might as well add the SFI bellhousing

but will be interesting to see what's posted on if you need the bellhousing if you have the blanket as I don't know that answer.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
i had always figued if i'm right there getting a tranny built, might as well add the SFI bellhousing

but will be interesting to see what's posted on if you need the bellhousing if you have the blanket as I don't know that answer.
I agree! I wanted Speed to put anything like that on the car when everything was getting replaced since it would all be apart. Now it is together and I need to make sure I can pass tech or the setup is useless.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I have a CSR carbon fiber shield on my car covering a th400... I bought it off noyzee when he switched to a glide, he never had a problem in the 9's with just that shield on the tranny. It bolts right to the motor with the bolts that hold the tranny to the motor and covers the entire thing from the block to just about where the output on the tranny is.

Hope this helps.
Do I have to drop the tranny to install it? Or is it something I can install whenever I make a trip to the track?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont need a belhousing shield/SFI flexplate until 9.99/135mph or quicker. Trans blanket/shield at 10.99 or quicker.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Do I have to drop the tranny to install it? Or is it something I can install whenever I make a trip to the track?

Thanks!

goes on with the tranny, if it's in the car, it's coming back out to get the shield on. It will rub the floor a little, but I'd rahter deal with that then frag coming thru at me.

What is the SFI bellhousing consist of, is there a differnet front 1/2 of a th400 you are supposed to have, other then the CSR sfi approved shield?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was a guy last year at my local track that works at the track doing the burnouts.
A car was I think coming out of the burn out and blew the trans. Fragments went thru the SFI shield and came out and hit the guy helping with the burnout and went thru his I think elbow and out his shoulder. he got hurt pretty bad but it could have been worse.
I can't imagine what it would have done with no shield could have hit some people in the audiunce and hurt them. I can't remember but I think this was a rear engine dragster so the trans was away from the driver.

But that is a scary thought. If it can go thru that shield your floorpan would be nothing to go thru.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:33 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandonppr
There was a guy last year at my local track that works at the track doing the burnouts.
A car was I think coming out of the burn out and blew the trans. Fragments went thru the SFI shield and came out and hit the guy helping with the burnout and went thru his I think elbow and out his shoulder. he got hurt pretty bad but it could have been worse.
I can't imagine what it would have done with no shield could have hit some people in the audiunce and hurt them. I can't remember but I think this was a rear engine dragster so the trans was away from the driver.

But that is a scary thought. If it can go thru that shield your floorpan would be nothing to go thru.
Not as scary as seeing a 50lb manual trans flywheel explode and nearly cut a car in half.

Most flexplate failures are from the converter/crank/belhousing bolts coming loose or something being misaligned. When guys were first putting the JW bellhousings on these they didnt realize the rear cover bolts were not letting the bellhousing sit flush to the block and it was tearing up flexplates. On a TH350/400/powerglide conversion on one of these there is no reason not to check all the bolts once in a while especially if the car is street driven. A trans/flexplate shield is a last ditch effore to stop something that a lot of times could have easily been prevented to begin with so it important to keep an eye of stuff and ears open for noises that werent there before coming from the trans/flexplate area..
Old 03-19-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
Not as scary as seeing a 50lb manual trans flywheel explode and nearly cut a car in half.

Most flexplate failures are from the converter/crank/belhousing bolts coming loose or something being misaligned. When guys were first putting the JW bellhousings on these they didnt realize the rear cover bolts were not letting the bellhousing sit flush to the block and it was tearing up flexplates. On a TH350/400/powerglide conversion on one of these there is no reason not to check all the bolts once in a while especially if the car is street driven. A trans/flexplate shield is a last ditch effore to stop something that a lot of times could have easily been prevented to begin with so it important to keep an eye of stuff and ears open for noises that werent there before coming from the trans/flexplate area..
I agree.
Just shows how much danger there is for the empoyees working the starting line. Not that it happens all the time but you just never know and it does happen. We need to check this stuff for our saftey and theirs.

Not just that but it is a good idea to have a checklist of bolts to recheck on a schedule so they are not overlooked.
Every time I check mine I find something that has found its way loose.

Also if you are hearing a noise from anywhere that you have not heard before. Its not going to fix itself and there is something wrong so its a good idea to take care of it before you run.