Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I setting myself up for failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I setting myself up for failure?

I think I might be headed down the wrong path with my car and need some input for what would work best for my combo. Car is an M6 cam only with a good amount of weight reduction. Weighs around 3000 lbs without me in it and will be getting down to about 2900 by the middle of the season. Makes 420 rwhp on a shitty tune and will be doing some TEA heads later so expect 450-460 rwhp.

I already have prostars (15 x 8) with a 275/60/15 MT Et street radials mounted on them. I am going 9" and 4.33 or 4.56 gear with a moly UMI torque arm. Already have billingsley LCA's and Comp Engineering rear shocks. I will also do driveshaft, afco front shocks/springs and LCA relocation brackets at the same time as the rear.

Car is daily driven to work and back (only a few miles to work) and on a few longer trips (180 miles round trip) a year so I need a tire that can handle some rain. I hit the track about twice a month during racing season and don't want to change tires at the track.

So my question

1.Will the ET Street radials get me to 1.7X or lower short times with my setup?

2. If I plan on spraying around a 150 shot will I even have a chance of hooking or should I just build an all motor car? This will determine if I go to a 4.56 rear gear.

3. Is there another tire that will hook better that I can still daily drive without too much worry?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Marty
Old 04-01-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of people swear by the ET Radials, but alot of other people blow them off too. They were on my dad's '01 Firehawk w/ 4400, heads/cam, 4:56's, full weight car and couldn't hook. Also, you need to look at the tire tread before you decide to drive them in the rain. I don't belive they would do that good, there's alot of "slick" smooth rubber. I think you would hydro-plane alot if it was raining much or standing water. I think their thing is for highway stability under "good" weather. Dunno though, maybe someone else will chime in.

Chris
Old 04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I ran 275/50/15 Mt Drag radials on my dd (delivered pizzas in it) 98 Z. The car was a cam/converter car with barely and bolt ons. The car put down 361/359 on a dynojet and ran 11.6 on motor. The car would consistently 60ft a 1.55 on motor and spraying just after launch netted a 1.51. The car probably weighed in the 3400lb range and the only suspension it had was bmr boxed lca's and no front sway bar. Shocks and springs were all stock
Old 04-01-2007, 05:54 PM
9 Second Club

Those MT's are tricky and need a good suspension set up. Having an M6 doesn't help either.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

If you want to drive them in the rain, I would look elsewhere. Go to a bias ply for the track. I have a similiar setup wit 4.30's, cam only, and im going to run the MT ET street 27X10.5-16.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't really rain in WA. Just light rain which really doesn't lead to any standing water. I really don't want to have to change tires at the track if it can be avoided though.

Screw it, I guess I'll just have to go TH400 and 4000 stall.

Marty
Old 04-03-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

With all the limitations you have of daily driven and weather. I would recommend a nitto. It will last longer isn't that bad in the rain, but will give you the least amont of stick. I cut 1.8's on 245's if that helps.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't drive on any kind of slick on the highway.

Take it from someone that spun out on the highway.

Even if it's light rain, it doesn't take much!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

No, don't chance slick/almost slick tires in the rain/or light rain. I've drove alot of miles with ET Streets in the rain, but those were rode on the shoulder with the flashers on doing a high speed of 15-20....LOL, it's not fun! Either get another set of rear wheels, or go with the Nittos. ET Radials will probably put you in the ditch if you're running highway speeds in the rain... But like I said, I've chanced it too..

Chris
Old 04-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Launching!

i used to run the et street radials on the street with my car, stalled, camed, bolt on lt1 and it did fine. the tires was new and it rained and it wasnt a problem. the only problem that i found was when the tires got to the wear marks they was putting the car all over the road. another problem with driving them on the street is that the rubber tends to bead up on the tire. these tires will have to be changed regulary if you are going to drive them on the street. 4-5k miles out of them is what you might expect from theses tires. do they hook, yes. do u need suspension mods YES.

i think with your set up you should get the 4.56's and get a set of 28" or get 4.10's and go with some 26" tires. i personally say with the 15x8 rim go with a smaller gear and smaller tire but run a regular et street bias ply tire or get some slicks for the track only.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CHRIZ28
No, don't chance slick/almost slick tires in the rain/or light rain. I've drove alot of miles with ET Streets in the rain, but those were rode on the shoulder with the flashers on doing a high speed of 15-20....LOL, it's not fun! Either get another set of rear wheels, or go with the Nittos. ET Radials will probably put you in the ditch if you're running highway speeds in the rain... But like I said, I've chanced it too..

Chris
i have done the same thing and it does suck. i second the nittos. plus you can get some 28" nittos and run the 4.56 gears you want to.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

et street/et radial + rain = disaster. If you like your car, do not put those tires on for daily use. a nitto is your best bet if you want to run on them all the time... but at that point you're sacrificing so much at the track, you're not gonna be happy with the track results I'm sure.

I'd get yourself some full slicks for the track, 26 of 28 inch, whatever you choose to run, and get yourself another set of rims and put a regular stret tire on for daily use. They are alot cheaper, last about 100 times longer and if you do get in an accident, get pulled over whatever, it will be one less reason for a cop to harrass you.

I have a set of bogarts I run at the track, and a set of stock C5 z06 wheels I run on the street... I'd suggest something like that, or at least another set of rear tires/rims.