Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head options...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head options...

On this never ending need to go faster, I'm now wanting/researching heads. Right now I have the stock 317's that came on my long block. Wanting to get the most out of this 6.0 ltr before I have to buy a large ci short block. Car will ALWAYS stay N/A. Don't care if I have to run race fuel. It's lucky if it gets started twice a week. Street manners/drivability matters absolutely none. It's got a speed density tune right now. Here's the current setup:

2000 Z28
2005 Escalade LQ9 long block
MS3 cam/matching valvetrain
FAST 78/ported stock TB
Hooker 1 3/4 LT's w/ straight thru mufflers off of collectors
Spohn solid motor mounts
ASP underdrive pulley/underdrive alt. pulley
Yank PT4400
Built 4L60E
6 speed alluminum driveshaft
Moser 12 bolt w/ spooled 4:30's
Billet/rod ended LCA's and PHR
Relocation brackets
Subframe connectors
Spohn subframe mounted TA
QA1's all around
Draglites 15x3.5/15x10 w/ 28-11.5-15 ET Drags
All sorts of weight reduction, deletion, AC, heat, duct work, PS, cruise, ABS, Airbags, bumper supports, stock weight carpet, console, on and on.

I'm sure there's something I missed and I'm sure alot of that is irrelevent, but just wanted to give you the idea of what the car is.

I've been looking at ETP's heads. What kind of ET/power could be gained by a head swap? Wanting to raise compression, at least like 12:1. I am on a budget, but don't mind to save longer for better parts. Long term goal is to run 9's n/a and cruise it around town every now and then. If I go with the ETP's 11* head, with say 12:1 CR, how big of a cam could be ran? Anyone have a setup close to what I'm talking about. Thanks, new to the head thing and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks for reading this stupid long post...lol

Chris
Old 04-13-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris I will take a Stab at it

If it was me and I planed to stay N/A I would do the ET 11 degree heads with the new Edelbrock Super Vic Single plane intake http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...fi_chevy.shtml with a 105mm TB with an Elbow setup (you have the hood clearence)( The Super VIC better than the GM, and the Victor Jr. on the market right now. With those heads I would look for a Large runner, something in the 260 range and the RPM range on the setup would be around 5,000-7,500. The down side to those heads is that they are around 2,800 for them , The L92 heads are a 260 runner head and they are shaped in a way that they have great port Velocity even at such a large runner and they can be bought for about $230.00 a head from GM . The L92 flows around .330 at .600 lift and the 265 ET heads flow around 355 at .600 lift. We can't just look at flow numbers or peak flow but I would like to see a comparison between the heads. I don't know where the Fuel talbes stop on the LS1 cars but I am guessing around 7,000 like the LT1 boys, so a Fast of Big stuff 3 will be needed. (we have buddy's at Comp that can get us Good deals if your know what I mean, lol)

Do you want to Keep the OD tranny?? IF not I would go with a Lesser weight (30lbs roughly) Th400, it has an 2.48 First gear opposed to the hard hitting 3.06 in the 4L60E but it will not drop as much between the shifts on the 1-2 and the 2-3 shift (stay in your power band more)
Your car is already light but I figure we can make it even lighter.

As far as cam goes the MS3 is a 237/242 on a 113 LSA if I remember, thats a Baby compared to what you can go with, lol.
I would definatly have someone who is a Pro design the cam talored to the car. Also you need to decide wether you want to go Solid Roller or keep it Hydraulic Roller, and Piston to Valve Clerance should not be a Problem with the 11 degree heads, should have plenty of room IMO.
But IF I had to guess on a cam I would say something in the 248/252 range on a Tight LSA. The LSX motors have a 55mm barrel for a Camshaft so running HR's to .650 lift or so is nothing on these damn motors, lol.

Since were a shifting everything on the setup toward the upper RPM since your car at the strip will live there 99% of the time at WOT I would suggest looking into some 1 7/8 headers or possible a 2inch design header (probably not neccesary though).

I know your running around on a 364, 6.0 right now but this would definatly be easier with a 400+ CI motor but I know how you like to Show people things can be done with very little, I LIKE THAT .

On the Compression deal you have to figure in the cam when doing so, b/c you have to nail down the Dynamic and Static compressions. Depending on a lot of variables you may be able to run more than 12.1 Compression.

Talk to the guys' at ET again and give a place called W2W a call and talk it over with them, but the key for this thing to make the power is within the Heads, intake, and CAM, then you just need to Stick it to the ground, lol

When I was doing a N/A setup I took a lot of factors into account and decided that FI was the right choice for me, plus I don't hav eto rack my brain trying to figure out how to make nasty N/A power, lol

Last edited by T/A KID; 04-13-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ben. I was thinking about doing something like that, but didn't know if it would hurt/help with only 364 ci. I want to take this 6 ltr as far as I can, but don't want to have to buy new parts if/when I get a larger ci short block. It would be really nice if I could take this stock bottom end 6 ltr to 9's n/a, but didn't know if it was feasable. I really like the idea of the super vic and elbow. Also like the ETP heads due to the increased ptv clearance, even though the price is considerably higher than the L92's. All of this will be done at one time, and just want to make sure I've got everything together before I spend the cash. Will more than likely change cams at time of everything else. As far as the OD tranny, just waiting for it to grenade then toss in a TH350/400...lol. So here's the question. With a larger cam, higher compression, better heads, super vic/elbow, 1 7/8 headers, more weight reduction to set off cage weight, is there anyway this will go 9's? Even a 9.999 would be nice. Any more info will be appreciated. Thanks again.

Chris