Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fire extinguisher systems for top fuel dragster

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fire extinguisher systems for top fuel dragster

I am diong a report on fire suppresion and I thought to make it more interesting for myself to do it on the systems they put in top fuel cars. I have done some searching myself but cant seem to come up with any good info, such as: when is it required to have them, how many nozzles you need for diffrent setups and where they should be located, how expensive they are, what type of chemical they use in the extingisher, how it is activated and so forth.
I have looked in the NHRA rule book but they dont go into much detail, just that you need one. Can someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't answer the when and why, BUT here's the one I purchased. I did mine for peace of mind. 1 nozzle for the driver and 2 for the engine bay. Cost: between $550-600. It's activated by the driver on either a push or pull system (I got the pull system). There is also an automatic one based on temperature.

Here's the link: http://www.firebottleracing.com/The%20Facts.htm

David
Old 04-23-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good stuff thanks.
Anyone else?
Old 04-24-2007, 07:53 AM
7 Second Club

Why not try and write a top fuel team or 2, or check out their website for information? Check out National Dragster for a list of addresses/websites for teams.

Derek
Old 04-24-2007, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Hmm, i don't think the top fuel rails run fire systems because the motor is behind them, but I know the Funny cars do.

Here's a link to a site that could give you tons of info if you ask....
http://www.nitromater.com/pit-area/
Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

The actual rule is for enclosed cockpit only. I know some use them, because when watching on TV I've seen them used for engine fires. Probably depends on if they can get down to weight & if the owner puts safety before weight.

I also agree, write the companies & teams if you have enough time for a reply, they are the experts & the actual users.

Good thinking David, now do you have your neck device & diaper yet???

I actually have a dual system on my fast car, 1 has nozzles on the front cell, 1 each header and above distributor for intake. The 2nd system has nozzle on steering column for my feet, 1 on bottles and 1 on my back. Love it, but I've been on fire before, so it's a must in my book.

Quick Reply: fire extinguisher systems for top fuel dragster