Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non R-Type QA1 shocks prove effective for drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Non R-Type QA1 shocks prove effective for drag racing

I recently installed non-R-type QA1 single-adjustable front shocks that I had purchased without knowing QA1 made two different types of single-adjustables. My results show that I accidentally made the right choice. Back-to-back track sessions with the only change being my front shock settings, reduced my average sixty time from 1.708 seconds (with a best of 1.656) to an average of 1.642 seconds (with a new PB of 1.577). With stock shocks (Orange Delphis) my launches were occasionally good but I needed to hit a small sweet spot involving tire pressure and launch rpm. Now, with my ET Streets at 20 psi and my shocks set to 3 (2-clicks), the higher my launch rpm, the lower my sixty. My 1.577 sixty came with a 6500 rpm launch.

Last edited by Gary Z; 05-03-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the difference between the R and the non R shock.

With the non R single adjustable
When you adjust the valving it adjusts compression and rebound.
So if you put the rebound softer the compression also gets softer and vice versa.

With the R
The Compression is set to firm all the time.
When you adjust the rebound (front coming up) the compression stays firm no matter what (front coming down)

With the non R double adjustable
You can adjust compression and rebound independently.

So imo the only time you will notice the non R is when the front comes back down it might come down too fast if its set too soft.

With double adjustable non R you would have more options but really the R would probley be all you would need for drag racing. The non R will work just as good on the launch, but with the only downside being that the compression could get too soft at times.

Last edited by brandonppr; 05-04-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, the non-R types are obviously better for the street and the double-adjustables are much more expensive. I was concerned that I would need the R-type to solve my launch problems. This turned out to not be the case. I think the R-types are mainly needed by high horsepower cars that might lift the wheels.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't your car pulling the wheels?