Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Big HP Footbrake guys

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Big HP Footbrake guys

I ran my Dad's car for the first time tonight and it was because his TB solenoid went out so I got to footbrake it.

It's a big tire ladder bar car with a 1.80 PG and 548 that should be good for 850ish at the flywheel.

The best 60 ft. I could manage was a 1.355 leaving at 2500 RPM. I know I'm obviously going to lose 60 ft not leaving off the brake but the car didn't pick a tire up and spun like hell every time when it's very capable of bumper scraping 1.2X's with me in it off the TB. I just expected a little more off the foot brake.

His setup is different than most on here but I'm just curious to see if I should be leaving at more/less RPM... I'm afraid I might just be SOL though.

I know there are quite a few of you on here that have hard leavers from the footbrake so I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I gotta say, footbraking sure was fun (minus the major lack of a wheelie). I always run a transbrake off the top bulb and this was the first pass I made in a car this year since mine isn't together and my first light was a -.019 followed by a .019 and .008, just really struggled getting the car to leave. My last 60 ft. it spun like a SOB and had a 1.388 but I think I left more around 2,000 RPM.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Convert makes all the difference in the world.

Coach
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

My slow car is ladder bars. I had a 557" in it several years ago. We had to hit it hard, to get it to hook. Once the shocks, preload, converter, rpm's are all set to get the thing to plant, it did the same thing your's did off the brake. The thing did not like anything less than a big hit on the tires. The window for max traction is much smaller on ladder bars, especially with my car. Some cars really need the tires to be driven into the ground.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Well that sounds like my dads car, it leaves pretty violent hits the tires extremely hard off the TB. My car tops his in 60 ft but doesn't look like it leaves nearly as hard.

I'm not really sure how much harder to bring it up on the converter, I'm not sure it'll make a difference with how his car is. His just might not be suited for leaving off the footbrake without major changes.

My car may have a chance I think. I leave at 3800 and get 1.2X 60 ft's off the TB and it doesn't squat or crinkle the tires much at all. I'm yet to try it, I'd like to run some big money footbrake races... I like the challenge of it all and it was fun for leaving as lame as it did.

And Coach... You were one of the guys that came to mind because I know your car can flat out leave haha, I've seen plenty of picture evidence of it.