Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle problem/staying on the stall bad for tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007 | 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Default Idle problem/staying on the stall bad for tranny!

Car will not stay running/idle is terrible/fluncuating. Very large cam just installed. O2's are bypassed. Must stay on the throttle to keep running so the tranny heats up to 220* after 1 run. This is no way to get a consistant bracket race car. Any thoughts/ideas/experiences/suggestions? Yes, I have a trans. cooler already and rebuilt 4L.
Old 06-05-2007 | 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

That can burn some clutches up fast in a 4L60E. I would get someone to tune the cam to where you should not have to do that.

Get the cam lined out then start hitting the track,your setup will thank you for it
Old 06-08-2007 | 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
Car will not stay running/idle is terrible/fluncuating. Very large cam just installed. O2's are bypassed. Must stay on the throttle to keep running so the tranny heats up to 220* after 1 run. This is no way to get a consistant bracket race car. Any thoughts/ideas/experiences/suggestions? Yes, I have a trans. cooler already and rebuilt 4L.

what is going on with the tune?
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:28 AM
7 Second Club

220 degrees is VERY hot, and as mentioned above will kill parts in a tranny quickly. What size cooler are you running, and is it run in-line with the radiator or on its own? If after getting a tune done and if it keeps running hot (and you are running it to the cooler alone), I'd step up the size and/or add a fan to it. I made 4 laps in 40 minutes once at a bracket race and never got above 180 degree on the trans temp gauge in my Nova, and I'm running a decent sized cooler.

Derek
Old 06-11-2007 | 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
Fire your tuner and go see Chris Marsh in Cedar Hill...hes the speed density MASTER. He runs circles around cams that other tuners couldnt get tuned to idle.
Old 06-11-2007 | 02:15 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

OLSD tune will tame the cam down and it will idle just fine. 160*- 180* max on the tranny fluid. There are bracket racers here running larger cams and have no idle issues so it is possible.

Coach is OLSD
LS1Joe is OLSD
TXCAMSS is OLSD

These cars will run the same number all day long if there are no changes made.

Tuner!

Good luck!!
Old 06-11-2007 | 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
OLSD tune will tame the cam down and it will idle just fine. 160*- 180* max on the tranny fluid. There are bracket racers here running larger cams and have no idle issues so it is possible.

Coach is OLSD
LS1Joe is OLSD
TXCAMSS is OLSD

These cars will run the same number all day long if there are no changes made.

Tuner!

Good luck!!
Exactly!
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WOTFMAN
Fire your tuner and go see Chris Marsh in Cedar Hill...hes the speed density MASTER. He runs circles around cams that other tuners couldnt get tuned to idle.

Chris Marsh, Dustin at TRT, or Scott at SQR...... any of them can get you fixed. It sounds like a tuning issues.

Make sure you tune it in Speed Density. It will just run a tad richer in the winter... and that aint a bad thing.

"LS1 Edit by Sean @ LG Motorsports"

Not that Sean can not tune..... but HP Tuners runs circles around LS1 Edit......