Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POR 15 users...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default POR 15 users...

Can you get a glass smooth finish? I keep getting what looks like small bubbles or dirt in the paint. Not sure whats going on but I've tried every method and still get a semi smooth surface.
Phil
Old 06-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished painting my new rear end with por 15 and I have the same result. I believe it has to do with the finish of the metal. The axle tube had the pores you described but the center section and the rusty backing plates came out great. The rougher the surface, the better it turns out. Axle tubes were very smooth almost virgin steel.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the metal is cold i believe it will do that...
Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got done doing my cage and rear end.

I noticed that the more coats you put on the smother it gets.
also if you go back over the wet paint and smooth it with the brush it will help.
I only but one coat on my cage. but I but 3 thin coats on my door bars and they are smoth.
Also it will run the the bottom of the cage if its too thick a coat and make drips off the bottom.
I put several coats on the rear too and it smothed it alot.

If you can take your time and keep smothing it with the brush until you get rid of all those bubbles/trash it will look like podercoat and the next day you can touch it all you want and it feels just like powdercoat as well.

the brush marks will go away as it dries just as long as all those bubbles/trash are/is out it will be smooth when it dries.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Did the entire floor pans of my 3rd gen and they turned out really nice. Did you use the MetalPrep first? Did you then rinse it?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by amazza76
I just finished painting my new rear end with por 15 and I have the same result. I believe it has to do with the finish of the metal. The axle tube had the pores you described but the center section and the rusty backing plates came out great. The rougher the surface, the better it turns out. Axle tubes were very smooth almost virgin steel.
wow, this worries me. ive got a good deal on a well used tool box, and i was gonna por 15 it to get a smooth, black almost powdercoat finish. now it sounds like it wont work for me...
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Have you tried a quick wetsand?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfy
wow, this worries me. ive got a good deal on a well used tool box, and i was gonna por 15 it to get a smooth, black almost powdercoat finish. now it sounds like it wont work for me...
I think you will be fine. my door bars were smooth and they turned out good. My rear was not smooth and I had to put a lot more coats to make it smooth. I could have put more but it really didn't matter to me I just wanted to get a durable paint on it. The rear is not as smooth as the door bars of the cage.

I think it says the best surface to apply it to is a sandblasted surface.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Make sure you don't shake the can. when you shake it instead of stir it (like they recommend) it will put small air bubbles in the paint. If you have done that, let it sit after stiriing it really good for about a week.
ALSO...WEAR RUBBER GLOVES....if this stuff gets on you, you will have to wear it for weeks. It is permanent. Also put some plastic between the lid and the can because the paint will weld the lid to the can if you don't.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Can you get a glass smooth finish? I keep getting what looks like small bubbles or dirt in the paint.
no...
Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The guys over @ POR15 said you should rough up new smooth metal and apply the metal ready and keep it wet for about 15-20 minutes. The key is light coats, I think I was putting it on too thick.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

i've used it following por-15s directions and it work great.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
The guys over @ POR15 said you should rough up new smooth metal and apply the metal ready and keep it wet for about 15-20 minutes. The key is light coats, I think I was putting it on too thick.
This is what the stuff I use (Chassis Saver) warns on the can. If you apply it too heavily it will out-gas and form bubbles. They recommend a light coating and a day or so if you want another layer.