Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Racer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Drag Racer

Your day is 16 hours long.

He's been up for 24 straight working to go racing.

You take a warm shower to help you wake up.

He wakes up to a one gallon shower (usually cold)
The thrill of hearing that engine roar keeps him up.

You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.

He's chilled to the bone, hasn't eaten all day, has the flu, and then races his heart out. Everyone knows a hangover or illness just makes you focus.

You drink your Starbucks coffee on your way to work.

He drives 15 hours to the next track drinking a coke to stay awake. And when he arrives is forced to park outside the track until 7:00am when the track works will give him 30 secs to get his rig moving or he gets bumped out of line.

You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.

He walks back to the trailor after tearing up his car.

You complain about how hot it is.

He wears 30 pounds of gear in the middle of July and climbs in a 140 degree racecar.

You go to the mall and get your hair cut and styled.

He walks around with helmet hair, the last product in his hair probable was 10/40 w oil.

You're angry because your shift had to work late.

He has to travel 500 miles in the middle of the night with a torn up racecar just for 2 thousand dollars...if he wins.

You criticize your local drivers and say they're nothing but dumbass rednecks.

He puts his life on the line to entertain a crowd of 2,500 people.

You hear the stories about fallen drivers and say they should have known better.

He knows that the .001 of a sec it takes to beat to the next car, could be pushing it but is willing to risk it.

You see the bright lights and lots of trailers when you go by.

He sees the heartbreak, blood, sweat, and tears put into his sport, but still believes this race, it will be his day.

You rush home to catch the next game on TV.

He stops in some small town to wash the race car and trailer because he is proud of what he has accomplished and he wants everyone to see his car with the love he does.

You sit there and judge him, saying the that its a waste of money to go do such a silly thing and call it a sport.

But its not the money. It's the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. It's seeing the smile on his son's face even after having a horrible night, because no matter what his son still thinks he's the best. It's the fans that cheer for him durring driver introductions. It's a drivers life.

225-343-9029
Old 06-08-2007 | 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Beautiful Brian! I will pass this on to my racer buddies.
Old 06-08-2007 | 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow man, you're quite the poet.

and Im bald-headed, so I dont get the "helmet hair" look some of you guys sport with pride.
Old 06-08-2007 | 04:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I didnt write it but that describes me to a tee. This is a life not a hobby.

225-343-9029
Old 06-08-2007 | 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice!
Old 06-08-2007 | 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Just read that on another forum, pretty sweet.
Old 06-08-2007 | 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

been there done that........
Old 06-08-2007 | 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

You forgot about all the nights and weekends that you told your friends "no" to stay and work on the car, because your dream-vision never died, your desire to have your dream never wavered...even while the girlfriends came and went...but the vision never let you down. You stuck to it, never gave up and MADE it happen.

David
Old 06-09-2007 | 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MADMAN
You sit there and judge him, saying the that its a waste of money to go do such a silly thing and call it a sport.

But its not the money. It's the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. It's seeing the smile on his son's face even after having a horrible night, because no matter what his son still thinks he's the best. It's the fans that cheer for him durring driver introductions. It's a drivers life.
"
sounds like what i hear everytime new parts arrive in the mail from everyone in the family except my fiance
Old 06-09-2007 | 09:37 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

This is a life not a hobby.
Now thats what I am talking about.

Coach

Last edited by Coach 02 A3 Z/28; 06-10-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2007 | 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Didn't see any references to Miller Lite in there? WTF?

You want a slushie from Sonic while doing your yard work.

All he needs is a cooler full of Miller Lite and some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to last an entire weekend.
Old 06-09-2007 | 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's all about the crew that drives 400+ miles each, and works harder in one weekeend on your car than they do at their 'real' jobs in an entire month. And they do it for a dinner on the way home and a genuine 'thank you' at the end of the day. From the clutch guy, to the bottom-end diver, to the tire wipers, everyone has a purpose.

Thanks for posting this up Madman. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-12-2007 | 10:50 AM
Banned

Yes, it's all true but you forgot the wife and kids. The wife bitches cause you spend too much money, honey. The kids think Uncle Jim is there dad cause you're never at any of their activities.

I think there is hope for some of you young guys. When you get to end of YOUR last 1/8 or 1/4 mile run and you do quit there is still a future for you. Return to some of your local tracks, you'll be remembered. Start drinking regular beer to keep your weight up and get a big dog. Those girls you spoke of always want to touch a big dog. Walking over to where you are they ask, "Does he bite," only when I tell him to as beer dribbles from the side of your mouth. As the girls bend over to touch the dog you remember why you got your eyes fixed. Not so you could see the tree with the helmet on, but look at all the young breast.
Old 06-12-2007 | 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Yes, it's all true but you forgot the wife and kids. The wife bitches cause you spend too much money, honey. The kids think Uncle Jim is there dad cause you're never at any of their activities.

I think there is hope for some of you young guys. When you get to end of YOUR last 1/8 or 1/4 mile run and you do quit there is still a future for you. Return to some of your local tracks, you'll be remembered. Start drinking regular beer to keep your weight up and get a big dog. Those girls you spoke of always want to touch a big dog. Walking over to where you are they ask, "Does he bite," only when I tell him to as beer dribbles from the side of your mouth. As the girls bend over to touch the dog you remember why you got your eyes fixed. Not so you could see the tree with the helmet on, but look at all the young breast.
Old 06-12-2007 | 01:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

Ah yes, I know a lot of divorced guys with beer bellies who fit this racer profile.
Old 06-12-2007 | 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You know, I have to admire the tenacity and perseverance of some of the weekend warriors. You know the ones I’m talking about... Those guys and gals that are at the track every weekend year after year, showing their support race after race only to get put on the trailer after the first or second round without hardly ever making the finals much less a win.
Those people have alot of heart to keep comming back!

Last edited by Maggie; 06-12-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2007 | 01:57 PM
7 Second Club

Man this thread hits home. I don't know what it is but we're borderline addicted to racing. I've wrenched on my corvette for days straight getting 2-4 hours of sleep trying to get ready for the next race only to break the 2 or 3rd pass. Whats funny is at the end of the day I say its time to quit but, monday brings another 5 day sprint to get everything ready and beefed up for next weekend. Hopefully my current build will end up reliable and consistent. The thing that always gives me a smile is I have a very supportive better half, she is always behind me at the track helping get the hot rod ready for the next round. It may be time to put her behind the wheel.
Phil
Old 06-12-2007 | 03:23 PM
7 Second Club

You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.

He's chilled to the bone, hasn't eaten all day, has the flu, and then races his heart out. Everyone knows a hangover or illness just makes you focus.
That's the truth! I know a local bracket racer that does well, but give him a weekend race filled with beer and bs, and when hungover he owns!

I'll add a quote from Nick Scavo on drag racing and winning:

"When I get to the starting line, a hot chick could take her top off and I wouldn't even notice it. The only thing I'm worried about is leaving before you do."

Derek
Old 06-12-2007 | 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Next generation

This is a poem my 6 year old wrote in school, makes it seem like the racing is worth it.

Kurt

The Nova
By: Hunter Urban

Me and my dad
Are having a race
A Nova versus a bike
Ready, set, go
Dad wins, of course.
He has a Nova.
I have a bike!
Bikes are slow
Novas are fast
I feel as slow
as a snail
When I race my dad!
Old 06-12-2007 | 04:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Ah yes, I know a lot of divorced guys with beer bellies who fit this racer profile.

I know alot of divorced dyno queens also!!!!!!!

225-343-9029