Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHRA approved helmet.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NHRA approved helmet.

Ok, is Snell M2000 approved for NHRA racing?

Is it better than the M95? I know that's a dumb question, since I'm 99% sure it is!

Can you give me a good reason not to buy an Off-road (motocross) helmet that's Snell M2000 approved, to use for Drag racing??

Reason for me leaning towards the off-road helmet is because there's a better chance of me having a dirtbike in the future than my beloved Hyabusa or GSX-R or Exile chopper or Big Dog, etc. etc. etc.!!!!

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-06-2003, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NHRA approved helmet.

It really depends on the track tech officials and probably what kind of times you are running. A Snell M rating is for motorcycle helmets and is not subjected to the same tests or approved for autoracing competetion like the SA rating. The main thing is that M helmets are not tested for flammability or roll cage inpact. SA helemts also are allowed a narrow range of vision than an M helemt. So a SA helmet may or may not be street legal if it obsecures your view. Here's a link to the Snell website where I got the info. Snell Webpage

Now with that said, my dad raced his C5 Corvette with a M2000 helemt he uses for riding his bike. If he pulled up in a 8 second race car, they would probably want to see the sticker indicating it was a SA helemt.

Bottom line, your better off getting the SA helemt, in case something did happen, you've given yourself the best chance of reducing injury by wearing the proper safety equipment.

Quick Reply: NHRA approved helmet.