Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to the track what tires to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default going to the track what tires to use?

well going all motor since there is no cage.

i have 275-40-17 MTDRs and a set of 27in MTETstreets. im thinkin the motor will like the 17s better for the 25.7in height. any suggestions? man im hopin for some low 11s.........id kill for 10s NA though.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know what car you have so I might be shooting my mouth off here.

but 1st off, you better hope you dont do "Low" 11's with no cage or you will get the boot. you also better have a fire jacket.
(I assume you mean the 1/4 mi LOL)

2nd off 17" rim is a mistake IMO for drag racing (again i dont know what car/truck?) you need the smaller rim. Smaller rims give you more tire sidewall etc. your tire is part of your Suspension too. It takes the shock and reacts.
I don't know to many people running low 11's on a 17" rim honestly. I am NOT saying it cant be done. I am saying it most likely can be done "eaiser" with 15" lol.

But what do i know.

I would say biggest slick/cheater on a 15" rim you can fit (dare 14" ?), even if it looks silly. A lot of people try running low profile tires beacause they look cool and don't know any better. then they wonder why they cant hook. These are also the same people that Drop there tire pressue on a Radial and do a full burnout on a radial (plain ole radial)

Just be aware of the top end "sway"

Also remember tire Height = Gear ratio. so depends where your power band is on your Eng.

LOL

again, just IMO, And i dont have all the facts. GL
Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say go with the 27
Old 07-15-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its the car in the sig.

i have yet to spin the 275 on the 17in there unreal. even on the 200 shot out of the hole. i dont have a cage yet its on the way. i have found the taller tire kills the 60s and et if TQ is down something my H/C didnt have but this 402 is in abundance of. ill do the 17s and more than likely get kicked out before i get a chance to try anything.