Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct McLeod Bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like my feet attached but i dont have to like that damn bellhousing saving them
Old 07-23-2007, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
11.49 for ihra atleast and aftermarket clutch's
Don't let that be the limit though. I'm about 1/2 sec off of that but there's nothing trivial about dumping the clutch at 5000+ rpm. There is a lot of energy stored in that rotating assembly.

As for the stock bellhousing, it's nothing more than paper to the steel flinging apart at high RPM.

I'm a design engineer by trade. They made the bellhousing to fit a bunch of different applications because I'm guessing it isn't cheap to manufacture. That's just common sense.

The incorrect bolts, bolt hole out of alignment, and drilling and tapping of holes are all issues that can be addressed from basic manufacturing. There's no excuse for that.

The type of bolt head, clearances and overall shape of the housing are design constraints. The applications are what drive it.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SScam68
Don't let that be the limit though. I'm about 1/2 sec off of that but there's nothing trivial about dumping the clutch at 5000+ rpm. There is a lot of energy stored in that rotating assembly.

As for the stock bellhousing, it's nothing more than paper to the steel flinging apart at high RPM.

I'm a design engineer by trade. They made the bellhousing to fit a bunch of different applications because I'm guessing it isn't cheap to manufacture. That's just common sense.

The incorrect bolts, bolt hole out of alignment, and drilling and tapping of holes are all issues that can be addressed from basic manufacturing. There's no excuse for that.

The type of bolt head, clearances and overall shape of the housing are design constraints. The applications are what drive it.
oh i dont mind having it , i got it to save my feet worse case scenrio , but when they make an engine swap bellhousing before a production car that ALOT of people do race that just doesnt seem right to me. mcleod is the ONLY company that makes one for us right now and even that isnt 100% right but you can get it to work
Old 07-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

worst part of the mcloud housing is grinding the back of the damn oil pan..... if ya didn't have to do that it woudn't be too bad. but there's realyl no other way I guess.

The csr scattershield I put on top of my th400 is a pita to work around to get the tranny out, but it's better then having nothing, I've seen what can happen to a car if that blows up, and it's not pretty at all.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
worst part of the mcloud housing is grinding the back of the damn oil pan..... if ya didn't have to do that it woudn't be too bad. but there's realyl no other way I guess.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WFOWS6_IL
Yep, pretty standard procedure.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by WFOWS6_IL
yup, has to be done so its all flat back there
Old 07-25-2007, 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

That is crap IMO. I guess it will make things easier fabricating it with the motor out at least.

Oh well, just one more thing to mess with right?!?!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

thats what i did mocked it all up with the motor on the hoist before i dropped it in . one piece of advice dont forget to make sure the starter fits BEOFRE you put everything back in the car
it needs the hole opened up more than it is along with a few other spots that need to be ground down .
Old 07-26-2007, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

Im also installing one now. A little grinding and cutting. Wrong bolts.
I also noticed the depth diffrence. Mine looks to be 3/16 short from my LS7 clutch. (I measured from the installed clutch fingers out to the trans flange then measured the face of TO bearing to face of trans mount.)But I pulled my TO bearing out and it looks like itll make it. but then Im thinking Ill suffer from low pedal engagement.

To shim or not to shim is the question.

Also Im installing an OZ700 at the same time.

How much shud the TO bearing contact the clutch fingers.

Thanks
Greg
Old 07-28-2007, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sartobuilt
To shim or not to shim is the question. Also Im installing an OZ700 at the same time. How much shud the TO bearing contact the clutch fingers.
The Textralia OZ700 is designed work with no shim at the original GM bellhousing depth which is 5.50 inches. If your McLeod depth is greater (if you use the plate) then you need to add a shim equal to the difference.

Quick Reply: Correct McLeod Bellhousing?