Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets Talk converters

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007 | 05:34 AM
On The Tree

Default Lets Talk converters

Im running a 4l80e trans right now. Its should be capable of running low 8's. I do a lot of racing on the street/strip. Im wondering about advantages/disadvantages of running a lock up vs non lock up. Without pushing the tranny i can lock it in 3rd gear down the track. I run a precision right now.

Please discuss- thoughts, experiences, etc about the differences.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2007 | 12:50 AM
On The Tree

all these 8-9 second cars and nobody has anything to say. Seems pretty normal
Old 07-29-2007 | 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

i would talk to marty chance at neal chance racing convertors for the most part everywhere you go anyone who is going fast will tell you they are the best as far as a convertor is concerned you might blow through the precision meaning with that much power to run low 8s i dont think that a pi convertor will hold up
Old 08-01-2007 | 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ttcamaro
all these 8-9 second cars and nobody has anything to say. Seems pretty normal
Yes there are some quick cars here. Perhaps your comment about racing an 8 second car on the street sealed your coffin shut. "What an *** clown" - the owners of 8 second or quicker cars.

In my 61 years experience I don't think you walked into a Wal-Mart during a blue, red, green or pink light sale and drove home in a 8 second race car.

This web site, like many is composed of mostly street driven cars. If you got into the 8's with no assistance from others you're a better man than me. I've always found the best source for answers to questions like yours are the folks you run with, run against, and run up and down the highways with. Outside of the fact you have an automatic tranny and you want to do something with it I see no compelling reason to answer your friggen question.

I, and many others, earned their NHRA IHRA license. I respected the process. To have a car like yours it's been inspected, you've been tested on your ability to drive YOUR car. But you're dumb enough to admit you race it on the street, right? You're no friend of mine!!

There are folks trying to eliminate ALL forms of drag racing because people get injured and killed. There are another groups interested in removing Pit Bulls from society because some people fight them. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with either.

Hope you have fun here, I have no authority just an opinion, I am done.

Thursday I drink some beer go to the track with Jake who looks like a Pit Bull.
Old 08-01-2007 | 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

low 8 second street cars lol. not an easy combo.

any pix of the build?
Old 08-01-2007 | 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

lol...@ jakes dad...lol
Old 08-01-2007 | 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Maybe he is talking 1/8 mile times

I don't know of any cars running 8's in the 1/4 with a 4l60e
Old 08-02-2007 | 03:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BAIN
Maybe he is talking 1/8 mile times

I don't know of any cars running 8's in the 1/4 with a 4l60e
He said he was running 4L80e, Still a tuff task but doable. Most of the 8 sec street driven cars ive seen have been running Big Blocks w/big roots blower.
Old 08-02-2007 | 03:34 AM
TECH Resident

LOL just noticed he said LOW 8's. I was thinking high 8's, Good luck.
Old 08-03-2007 | 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Yes there are some quick cars here. Perhaps your comment about racing an 8 second car on the street sealed your coffin shut. "What an *** clown" - the owners of 8 second or quicker cars.

In my 61 years experience I don't think you walked into a Wal-Mart during a blue, red, green or pink light sale and drove home in a 8 second race car.

This web site, like many is composed of mostly street driven cars. If you got into the 8's with no assistance from others you're a better man than me. I've always found the best source for answers to questions like yours are the folks you run with, run against, and run up and down the highways with. Outside of the fact you have an automatic tranny and you want to do something with it I see no compelling reason to answer your friggen question.

I, and many others, earned their NHRA IHRA license. I respected the process. To have a car like yours it's been inspected, you've been tested on your ability to drive YOUR car. But you're dumb enough to admit you race it on the street, right? You're no friend of mine!!

There are folks trying to eliminate ALL forms of drag racing because people get injured and killed. There are another groups interested in removing Pit Bulls from society because some people fight them. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with either.

Hope you have fun here, I have no authority just an opinion, I am done.

Thursday I drink some beer go to the track with Jake who looks like a Pit Bull.

In my less then 61 years experience,..... I don't think you know him, or what cars are capable of on the street these days... and your opinion was not asked for or agreed with so please STFU!
Old 08-05-2007 | 01:18 PM
7 Second Club

Jakes Dad,
You're allow to have an opinion here on why he didn't get many responses, but try not to turn the thread into a session. Let's try and stay on topic.

otherwhitemeat,

That goes for you too. I understand defending someone, but the back-and-forth doesn't get the question answered. Let's not turn this into a bitch-fest.

ttcamaro,

You didn't post 1/8-mile or 1/4-mile or what combination you are running to get these 8 second times. There are going to be PLENTY more people in the 8's 1/8-mile than quarter mile here IMHO. Whenever to post up wanting opinions, please make sure to give out some information about your combo, how you plan on running it (a lot of street time, a little, lots of track passes, etc) and if you have any reservations about stuff you don't want to run (transmission or converter types). I think you'll find more feedback that way. Consider searching the transmission forums too to see what others in your e.t. range are running.

Okay, party on!

Derek