Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ttop exploded on the track.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ttop exploded on the track.

As the title says, I went to the track for the first time last night only to have my ttop explode at the 1000' mark. Anybody ever heard of that happening before. The ttop was latched and I have a 6 point bar so I have no clue how it came out. The ttop breaking didn't bother me too bad but it chewed up my hatch and spoiler. Anyway, my car seemed to be working well before I slammed on the brakes.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
As the title says, I went to the track for the first time last night only to have my ttop explode at the 1000' mark. Anybody ever heard of that happening before. The ttop was latched and I have a 6 point bar so I have no clue how it came out. The ttop breaking didn't bother me too bad but it chewed up my hatch and spoiler. Anyway, my car seemed to be working well before I slammed on the brakes.
I had the exact same thing happen to me, except it was both t-tops. Same deal, t-top was latched, launched the car hard, both tops went flying around the 1000' mark. Both were latched when I picked them up off the track.

Here's the link to my thread when it happened:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/588281-new-personal-best-but-cost-me-my-t-tops.html

There is a way to adjust how far the pins in the tops go into the bracket that holds them. You have to take the trim pieces loose front and back, then you can adjust. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to before I put sticky tires back on the car.

Just out of curiosity, what did you run?

On the night I lost mine, I ran my best run ever... without the tops in the car.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Make sure the pins go throgh the brackets all the way, even if you have to adjust them out until the plastic rubs its a lot better then the tops flying off.

Knock on wood 145-150mph in the 1/4 for a couple years and they havent come off yet but I did adjust them when I first bought the car. I have seen a lot of them come off on the highway and track over the years.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
I had the exact same thing happen to me, except it was both t-tops. Same deal, t-top was latched, launched the car hard, both tops went flying around the 1000' mark. Both were latched when I picked them up off the track.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588281

There is a way to adjust how far the pins in the tops go into the bracket that holds them. You have to take the trim pieces loose front and back, then you can adjust. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to before I put sticky tires back on the car.

On the night I lost mine, I ran my best run ever... without the tops in the car.
I already picked up a new ttop today so I am deffinitely going adjust them tomorrow. My run was ok for my first attempt but I only launched at 4k and it bogged then I hit the brakes when the top shattered. This was full weight (3725).

60' 1.799
330 4.983
1/8 7.614
mph 95.08
1000 9.894
1/4 11.96
mph 101.25
Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that sucks, I need to adjust mine asap
Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

Damn man that sucks, I'm going to have to check mine. I bet mine are OK because they rub the plastic when i put them on.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Rubbing the plastic isn't a sure way to know they won't fly off, you need to get those pins extended as far as possible as mentioned. Probably the first thing addressed when I got the TA, flying TT's are a tad dangerous.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 AM
9 Second Club

I'll be checking mine as well.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
11 Second Club

makes me consider duct tape prior to running. . .
Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also, watch for the retards at the track that like to push the yellow button for the hatch or unlatch the ttops while your not looking. these are the same guys that throw trash in carbuerators.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588281

I pulled the assembly apart but I don't see any way to adjust the pins. Has anyone done this before?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, I've never had that happen on any of my cars.
I suppose there's always a first time ... I'll be keeping on eye on that for sure.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I pulled the assembly apart but I don't see any way to adjust the pins. Has anyone done this before?
You cant adjust the pins on the top itself, on the car side with the holes you can move out further so the pins engage more.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

What kp said. You have to drop the "A" pillar trim piece, as well as the rear sail piece (beside the rear seat), to get to the adjustment bolts, I believe that they're either 10mm or 8mm, loosen them, push the brackets in as far as they will go, then tighten. Repeat on both sides.

I'll probably do this on Sunday, while I'm waiting for my trans fluid to drain all the way out. I'll make sure that I get pics and do a writeup.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I saw the same thing happen, expect the thing went way up in the air and then landed softly next to the track in the grass and did not break. Gotta lock those things in there!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Pathological Modifier

http://rkarasek.com/video/WAHUSKER%20OOPS.wmv

Friend of mine...
Old 10-05-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kp said. You have to drop the "A" pillar trim piece, as well as the rear sail piece (beside the rear seat), to get to the adjustment bolts, I believe that they're either 10mm or 8mm, loosen them, push the brackets in as far as they will go, then tighten. Repeat on both sides.

I'll probably do this on Sunday, while I'm waiting for my trans fluid to drain all the way out. I'll make sure that I get pics and do a writeup.

Sorry for any confusion.
I misunderstood. Sounds easy enough to take care of. This should be a sticky in the drag racing section so everybody makes this adjustment before they go to the track. Thanks
Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Your friend got lucky. My top broke as it came out and now my wing and hatch looks like a dog chewed on it. I'm just glad that the glass didn't cut down a tire on my car or the car in the other lane.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

I had a 1985 IROC Z we put a bunch of work unto and it tweaked the frame enough that the right top launched on a WOT run too ...
Just for Sh#tz and giggles I had my pervertable launch on hwy 59 here in Htown 1989 z-28 Blk Blk IROC convertable ... One of the first and GM did not have a lock on the top latch. I was rolling along about 80 hit a bump, right latch came loose and whooooop off went the top completely left the car ... GM bought the car back after six months waiting for the solution and the repairs. I was happy while it sat Ias GM allowed me to drive anything in demo service from Tex-Star Chevy
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is pretty wild, I didn't even know you could adjust them...gotta love the hardtop