Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it OK to drive a big stalled A3 on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:25 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

CSR makes a tranny scatter shield, it's a carbon fiber one. pita, but it fits and doesn't rub the tunnel really, we didn't have to bang on mine at all to get it in.

Get a SFI flywheel too, hughes makes one that works fine and isn't too expensive, or you can spend a little more and run the TCI one or spend big bucks and run the meziere one. Hughes one has been in my car for a year now and there's no issues with it.

SFI balancer, aftermarket axles, fire jacket, 5 pt harness, 6 pt rollbar needed as well. I'd put good wheel studs in too while you are at it. At least stock sized arp ones.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRracing
How much does a good neal chance coverter run? I've heard awesome things about them.
I was thinking about running the 4.11 for a while and then switching the gear once I start spraying it to see what I will need.
Right now, in 4th gear on the 100 shot, I'm crossing the traps right at the limiter, which is at 6900rmps. I may raise it a tad with the new motor. Maybe to 7300 to be safe. What do you think?

Let's hook up and check out that gas stain on the car and go for a ride so I can see what it feels like on the road. Did I give you my #? If not I'll PM it to ya. Next weekend I will be pulling the motor and tranny out. But I will be done with it on Saturday. So maybe Sunday or something..
http://www.racingconverters.com/converters.html

Your going to spend about $1800 for a really good one for what you want. He has some that are well over 2k.

How tall is your tire? Should me a 28 with what you have and gears.
PM me your number, mid Sundays work good but you will have to go to Acton, my car gets like 7mpg and is po-po stalk me loud.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran a glide instead of the turbo 400, but I drove about 5000 miles with a 6000 stall and 4.30 axle. I get 12 miles to the gallon and the trans never runs above 180 except after a run. The trans cooler I use is the largest B&M they sell with no fan. Car is 3800 pounds with me in it, and was over 4500 going down the road on drag week.

Kurt
Old 10-16-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
CSR makes a tranny scatter shield, it's a carbon fiber one. pita, but it fits and doesn't rub the tunnel really, we didn't have to bang on mine at all to get it in.

Get a SFI flywheel too, hughes makes one that works fine and isn't too expensive, or you can spend a little more and run the TCI one or spend big bucks and run the meziere one. Hughes one has been in my car for a year now and there's no issues with it.

SFI balancer, aftermarket axles, fire jacket, 5 pt harness, 6 pt rollbar needed as well. I'd put good wheel studs in too while you are at it. At least stock sized arp ones.

I'm going with a TCI flywheel I think. Were can I find this CF CSR sheild?

I have a 6 point roll bar a 9" with ARP wheel studs a jacket a 5 pt harness and a SLP balancer. I'm not sure about the balancer though. Are those sfi approved? I think it came with a sticker.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

I got my th400 core today. I got it off a friend for 75 bucks. It also came with a cool flexible locking dip stick. It looks well made with a braided line for a tube. It is a 4" tail shaft also.
OK let me run down the parts list to see if I have everything before I go ordering all this stuff.

coan competition th400 rmvb t brake 4" shaft.
converter (to be determined).
big *** cooler(to be determined).
TCI flex plate.399753.
SFI scatter shield.
BMR cross member. Or use my T56 one with spacer.
A deep pan.
shifter(hurst quarter stick with pistol grip and a button is what I'm wanting).
A drive shaft 47 1/2".
And the speedo thingy to make it work right.

Is there anything else I over looked?
I want a pistol grip shifter if it will fit in my stock M6 console. I've heard of peeps using the stock M6 console and A3 shifters? What works well?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:00 AM
10 Second Club

Guys I got a cooler from a buddy today that sold me the core tranny. It is a big some bitch. It's a brand new never used cooler for a F-250 super duty. It's almost as big as my A/C condenser it has barb fittings. I wonder if this will work???

I'll post some pics of it tomorrow when I snap a few shots of it. We were thinking of squeezing it down between the condenser and the radiator. That would be tough to do. Just a thought..

I also have a line on a 9" ATI 5400 converter. Says it only has 7 passes on it. Would this be to loose? I wounder what it would cost to get it tightened up if need be? I can get it for 400 bucks...

Last edited by JRracing; 10-17-2007 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Race your car!

for n/a that converter will probably rock, spray it would be too loose I'm guessing. But, try it first, see what it gets ya.

Tranny cooler sounds like it will work if it will fit LOL.

The CSR shield is in summit's catalog... do a search on summit's website it will come up.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
9 Second Club

placed my order yesterday with Jegs myself. i already. the trans already has a deep pan on it but here's what else i needed....

TCI Flexplate-Price match Summit-$205
CSR Shield-$306
Hurst Pistol Grip (with button) & cover-$228
Braided line & fittings (all -6an)-all jegs brand (works/looks great with my fuel system)
Temp Gauge & mount
Perma Cool trans cooler-10.5 x 20-$54
Electric speedo sending unit for my A/M in dash speedo-$63
Lokar dipstick tube-$63 Price match Summit

The Converter Shop (giving them a shot after hearing some good things from friends-$470 shipped!) Billet 9.5" 4500 stall.

and a new carpet because i deleted my center console.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

I looked through summits catolog last night and seen the shields. The CRS one is a full tranny/bell housing shield and is 300 bucks. Ouch. What about the cheaper aluminum ones? Will they do?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Race your car!

the csr one makes it so you don't have to have the ultrabell on the tranny. The smaller alum ones will cover where the drum is, but I'd go with the csr one. It fits good, doesn't really hit the floor at all and only weigh/s about 5 lbs, so it's not even adding any weight. Plus it covers the whole tranny, which is what you really want.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRracing
I looked through summits catolog last night and seen the shields. The CRS one is a full tranny/bell housing shield and is 300 bucks. Ouch. What about the cheaper aluminum ones? Will they do?
Just remember if the tranny blows aka elpodes and sends chunks out it may come in your direction........

Don Garlets lost half his foot due to a clutch letting loose.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Well I think I'm gonna get the CRS unit. I took my core to automotions and ordered the tranny from coan. I also ordered a TCI flywheel a TCI deep pan a digital temp gauge and dual pillar pod.
I need to decide which shifter I am going to get. I want the hurst quarter stick with the pistol grip and brake button on top. He has those in stock, so no big deal.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:57 AM
10 Second Club

Here is a few pics of the F-250 cooler I got from a buddy. It's big. And check out this dip stick tube. It came with the core tranny I got. I wonder if it will work for me.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:53 AM
Race your car!

I think that's the bigest tranny cooler I've ever seen LOL. You may be deleting your a/c just so you have a place to put that monster! That cooler must hold at least a qt of fluid! I have a regular pan on my tranny, and if I pul the drain and change the fluid it takes about 5 qts, and takes about 8 to fill the whole thing up if I remember correctly, with that cooler and a deep pan you're gonna need probably 11 qts. I don't see you having any heat issues.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

I think that's the bigest tranny cooler I've ever seen LOL. You may be deleting your a/c just so you have a place to put that monster! That cooler must hold at least a qt of fluid! I have a regular pan on my tranny, and if I pul the drain and change the fluid it takes about 5 qts, and takes about 8 to fill the whole thing up if I remember correctly, with that cooler and a deep pan you're gonna need probably 11 qts. I don't see you having any heat issues.

I hope not. The more fluid the better, right? I hope I can get this bad boy to fit.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

4200 stall in a A3. Driving in stop in go traffic is ok. Driving on the highway at 70mph sucks. Everything in the car vibrates.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The overflow is somethign noone really talks about, but it's common. real problem is that if you don't have the tranny full you'll be down on power, so the only way to really insure it's full is to add fluid until it comes out the overflow, which makes a mess. Using a catch can will make your track happy, and keep your undercarriage cleaner.

The flat flexalite will probably fit anywhere, the thicker one I suspect alot of that is from the fan.

I don't think you will need a fan, if you mount it on the triangle that holds the hood latch (drill a couple holes, make a bracket) and put it there it should have enough airflow to be fine, and there should be enough room to add a fan if you find you need one once it's together.
Ya the first time i made a pass in my car and made a quick right hand turn. Smoke came out from everywhere. i was like "Oh ****!" i thought i blew it up or something.

Where is the overflow exactly at bc it must be on the pass. side of the tranny bc thats where i always see fluid on my exhaust .. It did it in traffic one time and everyone was like "Hey your cars on fire" I was just like stfu

So do you just make your own catch can i guess??
Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Race your car!

The overflow tube is on teh right hand side, I've seen one in the summit catalog for a powerglide, I dunno if it would fit on a th400 or not though.

You could just make a small one and put it in the back somewhere out of the way and run a hose to it, that is what I wanted to do. Or, at least run a small hose off the overflow and run it to the back of the car, that way if it does overflow you will not have it all over your undercarriage
Old 10-18-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The overflow tube is on teh right hand side, I've seen one in the summit catalog for a powerglide, I dunno if it would fit on a th400 or not though.

You could just make a small one and put it in the back somewhere out of the way and run a hose to it, that is what I wanted to do. Or, at least run a small hose off the overflow and run it to the back of the car, that way if it does overflow you will not have it all over your undercarriage
Hmm i didnt even see it when i put my th350 in.. Is it on top of the tranny? I dont even know what it looks like but i need to do something though.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Race your car!

on my th400 there was a small white plastic tube sticking out on the passenger's side. That is the overflow tube