Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has bent/broken/cracked a drag wheel on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007 | 02:47 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by slick1851
Doesnt weld make a XP wheel thats stronger?
They used to, but they are discontinued. The XPs were nice because they were stronger and came in a 16" size that you didn't have to grind the calipers on, but they were fuggin heavy as hell.
Old 12-07-2007 | 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

How do you like your convo pros matt? Im gonna try and hustle off my prostars for a set of them.
Old 12-07-2007 | 06:07 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Matt D
They used to, but they are discontinued. The XPs were nice because they were stronger and came in a 16" size that you didn't have to grind the calipers on, but they were fuggin heavy as hell.
you can get a similar wheel from american racing now.
torq lite? i think is the same.
heavy though.
still something different than a prostar or a draglite. bout as bad as TT2's.
they are on grandmas corolla now-a-days. everywhere! LOL.
Old 12-08-2007 | 05:24 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
How do you like your convo pros matt? Im gonna try and hustle off my prostars for a set of them.
They are really light (lighter than prostars and as light as Bogarts P1 series), they look good, not as many people have them, and I didn't have to grind anything. So far I'm happy.

I might be changing to Bogart P2 Aluma Lites or Weld Aluma-Stars with my drag brakes. I haven't decided yet.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:05 AM
Motorboater

i've had the same front pro stars with radial skinny's since fall of 2001 and i drive my car quite a bit in the summer every year, yet to have a single problem.
Old 12-08-2007 | 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

what psi do you your front weld pro stars at? on the street and at the track?
Old 12-08-2007 | 10:26 AM
Retired Street Racer

I run 40-45 all of the time. Regardless of street or track.
Old 12-08-2007 | 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

^^^^What kind of front tire you run matt? I talked to SJM this week about getting some Bogarts, drag brakes and a rear-end. I got some savin to do..
Old 12-08-2007 | 05:27 PM
Retired Street Racer

I run a bias-ply 26x4.5x15 MT ET Front (They pay out contingency for NMCA, otherwise it would be a Moroso DS-2). I highly advise against running the cheap Kumho 165/80/15 radal tires if you plan on going fast. They are fine for 12-13 second cars, but I would not recommend them for anything faster, especially if you are running a slick out back.

Bogarts will look good on your car Jim. I am torn between them and the Weld Aluma Stars. I am going with drag brakes as well, front and back, as well as a manual master cylinder to get rid of the booster.
Old 12-08-2007 | 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Be carefull with them Convo's. They are the only other wheel I have personaly seen break(Over wieght).

That being said I have had six or so Full sets
Old 12-09-2007 | 10:32 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

dish or the spokes on those convos?
they do get pretty thin.
Old 12-09-2007 | 11:13 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Be carefull with them Convo's. They are the only other wheel I have personaly seen break(Over wieght).

That being said I have had six or so Full sets
My car weighs 3040 with me in it now, and will be about 2875 with me in it at the start of next year. I have no worries in my mind that my Convo Pros will hold up. The only ones I have seen break are Bogarts and Weld's cheap wheels (Prostars & Draglites), but you never know when you might get a wheel from a bad batch, ya know.
Old 12-09-2007 | 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Why so much failure with the bogarts?
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Getav8
Why so much failure with the bogarts?
Not sure why you stated this as there are multiple manufactures wheels people have commented on regarding failures.

Specifically our wheels, many customers on LS1tech are using our wheels, and have been for many years. Many using them for more then just drag racing obviously. I can state with a high degree of certainty that we have a VERY low number of failures. Figure if one person damages a wheel, those people tend to post on boards they had a wheel fail. These are the posts it seems people remember. Then there's a post like this and people jump in and say that they've heard of this or that failure of which they may be all talking about the same person.

We've got a variety of wheels...different designs for different applications. Sometimes some people use wheels for setups that they are not really intended...i.e. listed above the person (XtremeLS1Z28) using our Bogart Fly Star wheels on an F-body. I won't sell them or recommend them to the typical F-body car, though he's been using them for 10K miles @ 3-4 years. This would be a prime example that he could have a failure since he's using a wheel that is not really designed for the weight of a typical F-body.

You have people using drag wheels at different stress levels, using poor tire choices...different variables, different situations...so results will vary with someone using any drag wheel for something other then drag racing.
Old 12-10-2007 | 07:00 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Not sure why you stated this as there are multiple manufactures wheels people have commented on regarding failures.

Specifically our wheels, many customers on LS1tech are using our wheels, and have been for many years. Many using them for more then just drag racing obviously. I can state with a high degree of certainty that we have a VERY low number of failures. Figure if one person damages a wheel, those people tend to post on boards they had a wheel fail. These are the posts it seems people remember. Then there's a post like this and people jump in and say that they've heard of this or that failure of which they may be all talking about the same person.

We've got a variety of wheels...different designs for different applications. Sometimes some people use wheels for setups that they are not really intended...i.e. listed above the person (XtremeLS1Z28) using our Bogart Fly Star wheels on an F-body. I won't sell them or recommend them to the typical F-body car, though he's been using them for 10K miles @ 3-4 years. This would be a prime example that he could have a failure since he's using a wheel that is not really designed for the weight of a typical F-body.

You have people using drag wheels at different stress levels, using poor tire choices...different variables, different situations...so results will vary with someone using any drag wheel for something other then drag racing.
i also believe that the bogart name has been mentioned moreso because they are the more popular "drag wheel" that people run on the street.

ive seen everything on the street, but never knew anyone to run a 1 piece magnum or a alumastar on the street(300 miles a month)
this was my main purpose of starting the thread. wasnt to bash any wheel manufacturer. obvisouly, [we] use these wheels in a manner not intended.
Old 12-10-2007 | 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

I just saw Bogart come up several times and wondered. I have had mine for most of the summer with no problems. Of course I went with the road race wheels.

Quick Reply: who has bent/broken/cracked a drag wheel on the street?