Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is better for drag racing?Shorter Chassis Mnt Tq Arm or stock length relocated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007 | 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

lol well the cars been a best of 1.49 60ft and that was with the stock tq arm (No BS). Anyways i bent the torque arm and bracket so i replaced it and went with a UMI Non Adj and since have bent the bracket again. I guess it doesnt like the 150shot off the line . Anways Im going to go with a chassis mount to get it off the tranny just not sure which one yet.
Old 12-14-2007 | 05:30 AM
9 Second Club

i ran a best of 1.37 60ft with sphon adj. ta,N/A,Footbrake,12bolts and 10.5 M/T..3275lbs...

i got a full sphon susp. parts,,,,,great stuff
Old 12-14-2007 | 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

short tq arm (BMR Trak Pack) has gone 1.37 60' in my pig
Old 12-14-2007 | 06:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
Travel limiters are your friend.
Damn Straight
Old 12-14-2007 | 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
Travel limiters are your friend.

Travel limiters aren't a cure all, especially for nitrous cars. I have my Madman limiters as tight as I can make them (smallest amount of travel) and I have put the car on the bumper....twice

I am doing alot of chassis changes this winter and will be going to a longer torque arm than I had, with double adjustable shocks on all 4 corners.
Old 12-14-2007 | 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
As you can see what do you think is better for drag racing and better 60ft? A chassis mount like the spohn or umi or a stock length relocated with one of the relocation kits?? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks

Brian
I recommend a short style arm like our Trakpak or Extreme arm but that's not to say you can't make a long one work.
If you have any questions regarding our product line give me a call here at the office and I would be more then happy to go over your options.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 12-14-2007 | 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

There are a lot of ways to reduce wheel stands and if the car is already on the bumper you don't need to hit the tire that hard anymore to get it to hook.

Like I said before 4 links are obviously a lot shorter than torque arms as well as ladder bars, problem is people get the car to hook, start having wheel stand problems and don't want to touch the chassis anymore.

It's all in the intersection point and shock settings.
Old 12-14-2007 | 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
There are a lot of ways to reduce wheel stands and if the car is already on the bumper you don't need to hit the tire that hard anymore to get it to hook.

Like I said before 4 links are obviously a lot shorter than torque arms as well as ladder bars, problem is people get the car to hook, start having wheel stand problems and don't want to touch the chassis anymore.

It's all in the intersection point and shock settings.
Ive been having wheel stand issues ALL year. Ive backed down the progressive unit to only spray 40 hp at the release of the transbrake and it will still go high. It also depends on the track as I have sprayed 120 off the line with the progressive and it only carries a foot or two.

My old torque arm was a short chassis mounted style with no adjustment except for pinion angle. I needed something more adjustable where I can change the instant center. With the addition of the instant center now and double adjustable AFCO's on the car, I should be able to hit it pretty hard off the line. I have currently gone 1.29 60's all day long with the REAR wheels tripping the beams. I know that as I have it on video to see whats going on.

We will know more come spring time when I go out and do some more testing with some bigger jets in the plate and the new suspension
Old 12-14-2007 | 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by car_fixer
hmm, metal image of pukeing gerbil lol. I was saying what happens every time torque arms come up is sometimes um..well crazy at times. not to hijack the thread but i would like to shorten mine, but then everyone will say it will wheely more, so i usually point out that then ladder bar cars should flip over backwards.
regardless of that, there is no one answer that is the best for all cars, and what works one way in freds car might work different in barneys car. most of the aftermarket t/a's are pretty good, and most are stronger than stock. without knowing his car or goals i dont think anyone can tell him the best one, but with enough research i think he can find one that fits his budget and abilities to install.
About the only statement in this thread that has made sense.

It isn't black and white. When is it ever?
Old 12-14-2007 | 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SMKN TA 95
Ive been having wheel stand issues ALL year. Ive backed down the progressive unit to only spray 40 hp at the release of the transbrake and it will still go high. It also depends on the track as I have sprayed 120 off the line with the progressive and it only carries a foot or two.

My old torque arm was a short chassis mounted style with no adjustment except for pinion angle. I needed something more adjustable where I can change the instant center. With the addition of the instant center now and double adjustable AFCO's on the car, I should be able to hit it pretty hard off the line. I have currently gone 1.29 60's all day long with the REAR wheels tripping the beams. I know that as I have it on video to see whats going on.

We will know more come spring time when I go out and do some more testing with some bigger jets in the plate and the new suspension
You were running a car that fast without an adjustable toque arm?

Have you scaled the car and got weight on all corners and figured out the instant center hight and where your 50/50 point is?

I guess you're pretty limited only being able to move the LCA to another hole.

I got mine to leave good once I mapped out all of the usable intersection points on my 4 link. I gained .1 in the 60ft and I was leaving with a 250 shot off the transbrake full power with a big tire and got my car to leave without it going more than 10"

Here's a photo of the car 250 shot, th400 4500 stall transbrake off the line.
Attached Thumbnails Which is better for drag racing?Shorter Chassis Mnt Tq Arm or stock length relocated?-mod_nova_copy1-2-.jpg  

Last edited by RAGENZ28; 12-14-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2007 | 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zger
It would be wonderful if people would stop regurgitating false information that they read on the internet. If they read it online, then it certainly must be accurate. It's almost as annoying as the "which headers should I buy???" and "which cam should I buy???" threads that are breeding like gerbils in the LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE section.
Inlighten us with your all mighty knowledge.
Old 12-16-2007 | 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Inlighten us with your all mighty knowledge.
Enlighten you with my almighty knowledge? Spellcheck > you. Wow. Did you make it past elementary school? I'm only asking because you spell worse than a fourth grader.
The following users liked this post:
Sprayed 99 (08-04-2021)
Old 12-17-2007 | 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

HAHAHA greet job that guy canot speel what a mouron

i have a spohn and i cannot get my car to launch to save my life. im also lowered so this winter im planning on redoing the front mount on it to make it adj. im hoping lowering the front mount i can get it to plant better. ill post up how it goes.

Quick Reply: Which is better for drag racing?Shorter Chassis Mnt Tq Arm or stock length relocated?