Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad vibration after coming home from the track

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

Bent axle, bad u-joint... something like that.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine started doing the same thing the last time I went to the track. It felt fine under power but when I tried taking it down the road it shook bad. I just parked it and right now I'm tearing it all apart. I hope to find something but I'm pretty much replacing everything this winter.

I'm afraid of the stock third member after seeing those pictures and the bushing in the rear of the tranny for the slip yoke seems sloppy to me.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**UPDATE**

Well it was NOT the driveshaft, exactly the same as it was. 40-50mph is smooth, 80-100 SHAKING! On the gas, off the gas, steady speed...the faster you go the worse it gets.

If an axle was bent, wouldnt the tire wobble? At least a little?

Here we go, I feel an *** chasing session coming on.

David
Old 12-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok I was just wondering if your rear tires were balanced with stick on weights and if possibly one of them came off? I had it happen to me before.

The next pass I tried to make it shook terrible in the burnout box , and even worse at speed going down the track! Of course this was on a 32/16/15 tire though!

Another thing to check on the drive shaft is to lay it on a flat surface and make sure that the ends of the shaft are still lined up perfectly, so that the shaft does not rock when set on a perfectly flat surface!

Just some ideas.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pt76jon
ok I was just wondering if your rear tires were balanced with stick on weights and if possibly one of them came off? I had it happen to me before.

The next pass I tried to make it shook terrible in the burnout box , and even worse at speed going down the track! Of course this was on a 32/16/15 tire though!

Another thing to check on the drive shaft is to lay it on a flat surface and make sure that the ends of the shaft are still lined up perfectly, so that the shaft does not rock when set on a perfectly flat surface!

Just some ideas.

Thanks for the input, The wheel weights were the very first thing I looked at.

I took the driveshaft out and sent it to a driveline shop, it was .015 out(minimal) I had it fixed and balanced with a new BIG rear joint. No change.

Almost HAS to be an axle, I been reading on the net with Google searches, will do some more "*** chasing" and keep the post updated.

BIG DAVE!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Well after going in the shop this morning and fiddling around, both M/T sportsman front runners have flat spots on them, like they have seperated belts. I marked where they were sitting on the floor before I spun them because I know a Bias ply will do funny stuff in cold weather.

The tires also "look" funny as far as wear pattern....but I would have bet money the vibration was in the rear......I am gonna take them to a tire shop to confirm.

Will let you guys know.

David
Old 01-06-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

The front tires did not fix it.

My last straw was to balance the rear tires, all the weights were there...but I did it anyway.

FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have NO idea as to why, left rear 2 oz out right rear 1.5 oz out, re balance....wammo FIXED!!!!!

Did it spin the rim in the tire wheelhopping?

I cant see it doing that with a 1.51 60ft off the footbrake leaving at 1800rpm.

But it IS fixed, from now on I am gonna go to the least obvious thing and start there LMFAO!!!

David
Old 01-06-2008, 11:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Probably did.I have seen a 11 second car tire shake off the starting line and break the 1/2 inch arp studs. The owner said he had them torqued down correctly.Tire shake is very violent on the driveline.Good to see you have is fixed.