Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to measure torque arm angle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to measure torque arm angle?

I want to measure the angle of my torque arm so I need to draw an imaginary line between 2 points, the front mounting point and ?
Would I use the center of the axles? Or one of the rear mounting points?
Any info on this would be great.
Thanks, Anthony
Old 01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you trying to figure out the intersection point between the torque arm and lower control arms or just find out what angle the torque arm is at?

To find the intersection you'd split the center between the mounting points on the rear end to the center of the front hole on the torque arm.

If you just want to know what the angle of the torque arm is stick an angle finder on it. Regardless of where the mounting holes are located in the back or front it is still either tilted up or down or level a certain amount of degrees from 0 to +/- something.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Trying to find the instant center. I would think that the center of the axles in the rear would be the rear point to measure from. But i'm not sure.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

It's between the two points where the torque arm mounts, you divide that in the center, like cutting a triangle right down the center, that line in the middle is the torque arm center line, then where the imaginary line where the lower control arm crosses that point is your instant center.

Here is an example to look at.

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/4_LINK.pdf

The torque arm is basically like a ladder bar, and the lower control arm would be the same as the 4 link setup. You just use the principles of both together.

I'll draw an example give me a sec.

Last edited by RAGENZ28; 01-12-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

I made you an intersection map to give you an example of what happens when you move the lower control arm up or down and the torque arm up or down and how the intersection changes.

To get the center line on the torque arm you measure from the middle of the top and bottom mounting point in the rear to the center of the hole on the front where the imaginary line continues.

On the lower control arm you obviously measure from the center of the lower control arm bracket hole you use to the center of the mounting hole in front and the imaginary line would continue on until it intersected with the imaginary line with the torque arm.

Check out the drawing you'll get the point. IP = Intersection point.

So basically as you lower the torque arm location in the front it lowers and shortens the IP, when you raise the torque arm in the front it raises and lengthens the IP

When you move the point of location of the lower control arm hole down on the rear end it raises and shortens the IP point while raising the lower control arm location on the bracket will lower and lengthen the IP.

Sorry if the colors are not all that great, but better than nothing.
Attached Thumbnails How to measure torque arm angle?-intersection-map.jpg  

Last edited by RAGENZ28; 01-12-2008 at 06:09 PM.