Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit racing seat questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Summit racing seat questions...

Anyone running the summit plastic seats?

I just got one today and have some questions, I expected them to not be perfect just based on the fact that they were cheep and shiped without any packing materials...

There are some scuffs that I expected and a most of the bolt holes were covered by some extra plastic. I set it on the table to check how flat the base was, but with some of the extra plastic it sat mostly level.

So here are the questions:
How much of the extra plastic is to be removed, just the stuff covering the thread hole or do you also uncover some of the metal that you thread into (one of the threaded inserts is exposed already)?
What is the bolt size for these? They came with no ducumentation or anything else telling you what you may need, and I checked summits site and it states nothing there either.

Also, one of the bolt holes looks like it doesn't sit level with all the others, at least with the one being the only one with the exposed threaded insert, but a washer/or shims between my bracket and the seat should fix that, but I need to know how much plastic I should remove first before measuring the shim. I can get pics if that will help...
Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd only take off the plastic covering the threads, call summit for the bolt size, I imagine they're just a copy of all the other poly seats.

I don't think you'd personally notice 1/8" difference when you go to bolt up the seat anyways, so I wouldn't think you'd need to use shims, once you tighten it up it'll be good.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it true that you need to have a support tied to a roll bar to run those seats? I've been told that they won't pass tech without the support.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My Summit seat was very similar.....as far as the bolt hole size I wish I could help you. I bought the S&W Race Cars Seat Mounting Kit, and it came with the correct size bolts.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the responses...

Does anyone know if these bolt holes on the left and right sides are comprised of plates with threaded inserts, or are the just threaded inserts molded into the plastic, and that 1 might come out?

Also I took a few pics to show how the seat arrived and what I was talking about in regards tot he extra pastic around the bolt holes...

(click on the images to see a high res version)
as delivered

it is pretty comfy just sitting on the floor...

here is a close up of the one with exposed threads and no plastic over it

here is a close up to what pretty much all the other ones looked like

the next 2 show the bolt holes on the bottom, notice how the ones that are not exposed pull the plastic out a little, but the one showing the mounting surface (bottom corner of the second pic) is flush, Oh and the top right one partially has the threaded insert exposed...

the next few are on different flat surfaces to show how all the others are about the same height btu they had the thkness of the plastic and the on that doesn't have the plastic is need a shim, that or the others need to have some plastic removed...

Old 02-01-2008, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

OK I got the answer on the bolt size from summit, but the guy couldn't answer if the plastic is suposed to cover the mount or not and wants me to call the tech line in the morning, what do you guys think?

BTW, for any others looking, I was told it is a 3/8 16 bolt that is needed...
Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah 3/8 course thread. The same bolts you find all over an SBC or BBC. As far as the plastic, if you can thread the bolt in, it will "break" through the casting flash from molding the seat. I ran the bolts in till they broke thru the plastic. As far as tech, I've never had a problem with them attached to seat brackets and not the bar.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

cool thanks for the info chucky, I will thread a bolt in there and see what happens, if it breaks through the plastic and doesn't pull the threaded insert out then I would be more then happy to make it a flush mount...

Now I just need to verify I don't need a bar, some guys told me I need a bar to have an aftermarket seat...
Old 02-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id drill a hole through it first jsut to make sure it doesnt pull that insert out....doesnt ahve to be the exact same size but even somethingto weaken it...that would suck to rip the insert out
Old 02-02-2008, 02:53 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel6718
id drill a hole through it first jsut to make sure it doesnt pull that insert out....doesnt ahve to be the exact same size but even somethingto weaken it...that would suck to rip the insert out
I agree. That's what I did.

Quick Reply: Summit racing seat questions...