Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to basline/optimize adjustable suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to basline/optimize adjustable suspension?

Now that my car has started breaking less, I've been able to make it to more track days. I've also been able to travel to tracks that I rarely raced at before. With this new freedom, I've run into the problem of different tracks on different days hooking completely different. I can leave one track Friday night and have my car hooking well, but bogging or spining at another track on Sunday.

Assuming all adjustable suspension, how does one dial in the suspension? Which way do you adjust the suspension and tire pressure to compensate for spining or bogging? Do you start in the middle then work a direction? How do you baseline? If you know one track is better than another (prep wise) how do you compensate? Any compensation for a transbrake?

I understand how to adjust the parts, but not what each adjustment results in. I'd like to understand how to find what works best, rather than what works best for someone else.

Suspension setup for discussion sake:
QA1 adjustable shocks front and rear (0 Loose, 12 Firm)
Adjustable Panhard, LCA
LCA relocation brackets
Adjustable Chassis Tq Arm
ET Drags and Skinnies
Adjustable Drag Swaybar
Cage and/or subframe connectors

(I don't have all of these parts, some are just listed for discussion)
Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Ask Madman, LS1 tech member.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOLO
Ask Madman, LS1 tech member.
Hopefully he'll post on this topic. I've found lots of posts on this board about good settings to try, but posts that explain how to find the best settings are few and far between.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good topic, but there will be alot of differing opinions I'm sure. Some people like to set the shocks loose, put the tires down low, and hit it off the line with all you got. Others will tighten the shocks, air up the tires, and launch more conservatively relying on mph down the track. Good base settings would be middle of the road for all adjustments concerned and you adjust them based on what the car does. Too many variables to cover without specific scenarios given.