Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American racing Trakstar's

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default American racing Trakstar's

Anyone have a set of these on stock lt1 brakes? what did you to get them to clear brakes?

small spacer upfront? griding? what about rear?

again this is for a lt1 car, if you have them on an ls1 car with stock brakes please explain also.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
Anyone have a set of these on stock lt1 brakes? what did you to get them to clear brakes?

small spacer upfront? griding? what about rear?

again this is for a lt1 car, if you have them on an ls1 car with stock brakes please explain also.
I don't know about clearance, but I bought a set and returned them due to extremely poor quality. Not only did 25 out of 30 bolts have gouging around them from the installation process of the wheel center to the wheel rim, the area between the spokes is rather rough and showed the tool paths from machining. Also the "titanium" finish on the centers were inconsistent and showed numerous scratches. None the less, all of that was uncalled for for (2) wheels that were well over $700 and that were advertised as "polished" finish.

To make things worse, when I called American to voice my displeasure, I could not talk to someone directly with the drag wheels, rather just a general Weld/American/Boyd/who ever else they own rep.

After this poor experience, I would go with a Billet Specialties, a Bogart, or a Holeshot!.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 PM

well that's interesting.. a buddy of mine just bought a set and i've seen a few cars at the track with them and they are very nice wheels.

Out of the three you listed i think bogarts is a very poor choice! i have seen not one, not two but 4 of there wheels come apart.

(bogart vendors no need to reply, im sure you'll come up with a ton of reasons)

you won't change my mind on them
Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
well that's interesting.. a buddy of mine just bought a set and i've seen a few cars at the track with them and they are very nice wheels.

Out of the three you listed i think bogarts is a very poor choice! i have seen not one, not two but 4 of there wheels come apart.

(bogart vendors no need to reply, im sure you'll come up with a ton of reasons)

you won't change my mind on them
Fair enough... but take a look around the bolt heads on the Americans and you will find numerous gouges. Also pay attention to the area between the spokes.... all of the multi-piece Trakstar wheels I have seen from them have had this.

If it does not bother you, that is fine... I am very picky and they are a nice style of wheel. Just for someone with a background in quality and manufacturing, I felt I deserved better for my $$$.