Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with my weight Reduction

Well guys, today I went ahead and pulled out the panels and carpet. Getting ready my roll bar/kirkey install. I figured I would order some Ozite carpet too. I wanna come out lighter even after the roll bar is put in. I was just wondering, what things can I do to help reduce some weight while I have the car like this. I thought I could take out some wiring, but not sure which ones. I disconnected the factory amp and I guess I can just back track from there??? I'm also gonna take out the door bars and the passenger airbag. But I want to leave the drivers side one for the meantime. Can I pull the box out in the second picture without affecting that? Just looking for a little advice before I get to those things in the next few days.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is the airbag module. If you remove or unplug any airbag part. The driver airbag wont work. Also, I have the stock radio so i dont know if this stands true, but I have to have the factory amp plugged in for the radio to work. I think with your aftermarket head unit you should be fine, but I would test it out first.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could swiss cheese it . use a drill bit with the circular cutter and go to town . seen it sone a variety of race cars though if it is dail driving then maybe not . just an idea .
Old 03-08-2008, 05:27 AM
10 Second Club

the amp harness running down the passenger side also carries the shock sensor wiring and antenna. the whole harness doesnt even weigh that much so IDK if its worth it for you to break it down.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you take the amp out, and want the stereo to work you will have to rewire to the speakers from your head unit. For what it weigh's, leave the amp in.

The ozite carpet will save you about 40 lbs, the seats will save you about 50
Old 03-08-2008, 05:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That rubber mat on the firewall is heavy as ****, cut as much of that off as you can.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 AM
LC
TECH Resident

are you going to add, 4 or 5 point belts? if so, there is no point in leaving drivers side airbag, you are going to be so tight to the seat that you will only see the puff of it 4 meters away

In any case, if you want to retain the stock looking wheel just leave it.. it does not weight THAT much...
Old 03-08-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
are you going to add, 4 or 5 point belts? if so, there is no point in leaving drivers side airbag, you are going to be so tight to the seat that you will only see the puff of it 4 meters away

In any case, if you want to retain the stock looking wheel just leave it.. it does not weight THAT much...
I have 5pt belts to put in. I guess there really isn't any point of the drivers side airbag. I just kinda liked the look for the meantime until I change out the steering wheel.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That rubber mat on the firewall is heavy as ****, cut as much of that off as you can.
Sounds like a good idea