Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiff Sidewall slick for a T-brake car???

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That tire belongs on a funny car or a rail. That's total overkill even for the 2000 hp you want to make. Guys are going in the low 7's and even the high 6's now with 1/2 the tire you're talking about.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by tektrans
It's really not much more work that a 28" inch tire. They are 29.5"s and they don't grow at all. You have to clearance the fenders front and back, just like for 28"s, roll the lip or cut it, then it's just a matter of hammering in the inners, just like the 28"s.
I have a set of 295/60 et radials at my disposal to try if I want, but I have little faith I could get them in there without a body guy. I'm pretty handy, but it's gonna take alot of work, and to have it look right I'd probably have to have someone do it.

And at that point, I mine as well minitub the car so I can fit a 32 inch tall tire on it, so the car will hook on anything.

I just don't want to open that can of worms.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If I had the room for a taller tire, I would have liked to try that radial slick bu tthey just weren't gona fit without some decent $ in bodywork

I would have liked to just stick them, or a 29.5 size slick on to see what that would have got me rather then changing the gears. Oh well
I believe M/T has a stiff wall 28" and a 26" slick now available.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:16 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Ragen, some of us know!!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

Ragen, some of us know!!

It's time for the big tire cars to make a come back
Old 07-01-2008, 08:00 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

That's why I joined promodzone & yellowbullet. This is the wrong place for the 34.5 X 17 type car.
JL is right & wrong. "right" That is a huge tire. I actually put a 33x17x16 on when I slowed the car down for T/S.
I decided I didn't need the 34.5 at 1650 HP.

"wrong" Don't care about overkill, I want it to run the number every pass. Yes they can do it with 1/2 the tire,
but it's a pain in the *****. Safer, easier, no choking down the launch playing with small tires.
I've had my fill playing with a damn 10" tire.

My 2 cents, build it for the F/C tire, you can always go smaller, you can't go bigger after the car is done.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Race your car!

True to that point, if you want to be able to run a ig tire better plan on it from the get go.

Someday when I have the extra $ I want to do a set of minitub's, and I'll have the wheel well opened up for a 30+ inch diameter tire. I'd like to try something bigger, but I'll stick with the 10 inch width.

For what I want to do (run a consistant 9.5 in the heat and cold of the season) I don't see a need for a huge tire, a 30 inch radial slick would be nice to try though.

I'd love to be able to do it up with a drag radial too, I'm sure the 295 or 315's would be more then enough at the level I am at, but I don't think anything that big is needed for the level I'm trying to get to.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

mrdragster1970, will too much of a tire allow to run more consistantly? especially on dirty tracks?
Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

The bigger the tire, the more constant it will be. It will go slower from the extra weight. My old car would have went probably .2 faster on a 10.5w tire, but when you can go wheels up on the street at a stop light without even doing a burn out that says a lot.

Yes people can do it on smaller tires but I honestly don't like skating down the track, I would rather make 10 out of 10 passes slightly slower on a bigger tire than trying to make my personally best each time out. All size tire cars have crashed but I've seen a lot more small tire cars put it into the wall than big tire cars.

Personally IMO you have to do what you want with your car, everyone has an opinion, but at the end of the day it's your car you drive it, you pay for it so make it how you want and hopefully it makes you happy.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Race your car!

Bigger tires will be more consistant Vetal.

Ragen, I agree with the make it what you want, that I couldn't agree more. I just don't want to limit myself to classes that I can't compete in (not fast enough)
Old 07-02-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

consistancy is the most important thing to me. Here we have only 3-5 events a year, during the event as soon as you lost to someone - you're out of competition, so no time for practise and no second chance if you make an error. I'll go with 28x11.5 ET Drags then And 26x8.5 for my Silvia
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vetal
mrdragster1970, will too much of a tire allow to run more consistantly? especially on dirty tracks?
Hell yes. If you are running a dial in class, it's silly to fight a small tire for consistency.
Wouldn't you trade a .1-.2 off your best ET, to win rounds. I know I would.

I was told by a very smart man one day to go look at the S/C & S/G guys sitting in the pits.
I had been bitching about my slow car, being a pain in the *** & aborting so many runs.
Well guess what, 99% of them had big frigging steam rollers on them. Guys with SBC's I wouldn't take
if you gave me. It don't take much for a 1400 lb rail to run 8.50. S/C & S/G are experts at consistency.
I've seen them run 8.905, 8.907, 8.903 round after round. Like I mentioned, I've had my fill with 10" tires.
You guys can have all the fun.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
Hell yes. If you are running a dial in class, it's silly to fight a small tire for consistency.
Wouldn't you trade a .1-.2 off your best ET, to win rounds. I know I would.
I absolutely would.
Here drag events are run this way:
you make 2 passes for qualification
16 best of each class qualify for finals
in the finals, best of each pair goes to the next round

Taking into account that events are held at a terrible surface, and they are 1/8, only AWD's take prizes. At the last event I was 1 of the 2 RWD drivers (other being supercharged Viper) who qualified for finals, other 14 were AWDs
So tire is most important aspect for me now, and consistancy is major factor
Old 07-03-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

I can say one thing about big tires. I raced my last car for 3 years and I only had 1 aborted pass the entire time. I've gone to the track and made 6-8 passes in one night and would have 4-5 identical 60fts and the others would be within .01-.03 no matter what.

I have a lot of respect for the guys doing things on the smaller tires, but my thinking is simple, how do you go fast, lots of traction, lots of power, best way to get traction is to run the largest tire you can.

If you build it to run a class you have to follow the rules, but my advice to anyone going class racing is design the car to handle a bigger tire from day one. Doing mini tubs or full tubs later is a bitch once you have your car running and have to take it all apart later.

That's why I am going all out on mine, why rebuild my car 2-3 times to get where I know I want to go one day. Some people think I am crazy for cutting my car up like I did, it'll take a while to do but once it is done I will go as fast as I will ever have the desire to go.

Class racing is cool, but paying 15-20 bucks on a Friday night and making a few passes that haul *** is all it'll take to make me happy. I have a lot of admiration for people class racing because it is expensive as hell driving from track to track to compete right now.

Quick Reply: Stiff Sidewall slick for a T-brake car???