Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a skinny tire for racing and street driving...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a skinny tire for racing and street driving...

I need a good skinny tire to run on the streets but one that I can use at the track as well.

I'm looking for something around 4.5" to 5" wide on 15" wheels and 26" tall is fine.

I was looking at the Moroso DS2 and the MT ET Fronts but how safe and how long do these last on the streets?

I like the MT Sportsman fronts 26x7.5-15 but how good are these at the track? Also does anyone run the 165-15 radials from Pepboys at the track?

Thanks,
Lee

Old 07-24-2003, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Need a skinny tire for racing and street driving...

i use the 165-15 metrics on my car for both duties. they last for freakin ever and still provide what you want at the track
Old 07-24-2003, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need a skinny tire for racing and street driving...

The bias back and radial front combo made my car squirelly at high speeds. Mostly when stepping off the gas at the end of a run and when shifting. Changing to a bias front tire made the passes more stable. Alot of people are running the bias-radial combo, but it did not work for me.

The DS2 and MT Drag front are VERY LIGHT. The 26x4.5x15s weigh less than 10 pounds each. I tried some MT sportsman fronts, but they weigh twice as much (the 8 plys). I would not drive daily on the DS2s or Drag fronts. They are way to thin to stand up to daily driving.