Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange 12 bolt 3" narrowed ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 12 bolt 3" narrowed ?

Is there any clearance issues or any thing else i should know about before i talk myself into getting one.I'm going with a spool drag race only.What kind of back spacing am i looking at on a 15" wheel? If i go with LCA relocation brackets any clearance problems.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All that depends on how wide a wheel you want to run.

I have seen a strange 12 bolt brake on one local car and have heard of a fe others breaking, never heard of a moser 12 bolt breaking.... or a 9 inch......... thats with say 1,000rwhp or less cars.

Pretty much everyone has LCA brackets, they don't affect anything with clearance.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you ask what backspacing you need on a 15" wheel. im sure you dont mean 15" wide. need to know how wide of a rim to tell you what backspacing you will need.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9sec93
you ask what backspacing you need on a 15" wheel. im sure you dont mean 15" wide. need to know how wide of a rim to tell you what backspacing you will need.
im thinking a 15 x 8 or 10
Old 04-19-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Before you do anything you need to figure out what you want to do with the car and power levels.

A big tire on a 15X10 wheel means offset lower control arms, mini tubs, like a 8.5 backspace, ect ect. Also need the power for that.

A 15X8 will pretty much bolt right up with most if not all tires (not sure on the height though).

Unless you plan to go really fast I would stick with a 15X8. My car has almost gone 9's spinning on a 15X8 with a 28X8.5 tire.........

Also no reason to narrow the rear unles you want to run a killer backspace have have the deep wheel look or if you are doing it for big wheel/tire combos.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-19-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:37 AM
TECH Resident

I would much rather have a Strange 12 bolt than a Moser, just my opinion though.
Now I will give you my expierence with a shortened 12 bolt. Mine is a Strange shortened 2.5 inches on each side. I run a 15x10 Pro Star XP with 5.5 BS and a 275 60 15 MT DR. Alot of cutting and beating to get mine to fit. Everyone says the 275 tire is a breeze to fit in there, mine wasn't. It's worth every minute of torture once its done however. It will give you the stance and the look I think your going for. In my opinion the 2.5 tuck vs the stock length made all the difference in the world on my car. I ran the same rims with Nitto 275 50 15s on the stock rear and everyone tells me it looks so much better with the shortened rear. I do reccomend some double adjustable LCAs so you can center the tire. I did not have to cut or trim the outer part of the wheelwell at all.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 AM
FormerVendor

Give us a call. I can design our Bogart drag wheels for your car and rear-end setting them both up to work together.

We have quite a few customer cars we've setup using Stranges 12 bolt and our Bogart wheels...
Old 04-19-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DADDY&GIRL93TA
Is there any clearance issues or any thing else i should know about before i talk myself into getting one.I'm going with a spool drag race only.What kind of back spacing am i looking at on a 15" wheel? If i go with LCA relocation brackets any clearance problems.
I would suggest that you order a rear for a 1982-92 F-Body. It is a direct bolt-in and there are tons of wheel choices that will fit. I would also suggest that you look into running 9" x 30" slicks. You will have to stretch your wheel openings to make them fit, but it is well worth the extra effort. Buy the lightest parts that you can afford. Skip the relocation brackets.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Retired Street Racer

Why a 30x9? You have no idea what her goals are....
Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt D
My thoughts exactly....
Old 04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

bc he runs a stock eliminator and that is their tire of choice (and its teh class rules). plus the radial 30x9 is incredible
Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Give us a call. I can design our Bogart drag wheels for your car and rear-end setting them both up to work together.

We have quite a few customer cars we've setup using Stranges 12 bolt and our Bogart wheels...
yes u have and i'm one of them. love the way it fit and looks, rear end and wheels fit and look amazing.thanks SJM
Old 04-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
bc he runs a stock eliminator and that is their tire of choice (and its teh class rules). plus the radial 30x9 is incredible
Ok, so HE runs stock eliminator, but that doesn't mean she does or that the cars are similar. So if she runs a bolton car with a 3.23 gear out back, the 30x9 will work the best? And a 82-92 rear end bolts in differently than a 93-02? She needs LCA brackets if she wants the most out of the setup. Do you see what I'm getting at John?

We need to know more about the car so we can give you a better idea of rim and tire choice.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, so HE runs stock eliminator, but that doesn't mean she does or that the cars are similar. So if she runs a bolton car with a 3.23 gear out back, the 30x9 will work the best? And a 82-92 rear end bolts in differently than a 93-02? She needs LCA brackets if she wants the most out of the setup. Do you see what I'm getting at John?
If you read the original question you would have noted that the car is going to be a race only car. She has also been following some of my threads in the LT1 section. The 9" x 30" radial is a far superior tire than most of what you experts are running. Even a stock internal car will work well with them. To get the most out of them you have to choose the right gear set. The 1982-92 rear is a direct bolt in. It is narrower, and will allow a lot of wheel choices. LCA brackets are only good to correct suspension geometry. They are not a mandatory addition to the rear suspension. If set up incorrectly they will put the suspension in a bind.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 PM
12 Second Club

What were trying to do is keep the car to a bolt on car.Between this site and another site we have learned alot in a years time.And theres a bunch of folks out there that when they post info we read there threads and there comments.I use to race years ago my self and bought alot of the same parts 2 and 3 times for a SBC.and i don't want to talk about all the intakes i bought either lol.This is my first computer car i ever fooled with and the first race car ive messed with in over 15 plus years.I know what im trying to do with the car but i dont know.Tonight She made it to finals in HS. Then turned around and made it to semifinals in footbrake raceing she came home 75$ more than what she left with.Luck and the people on this site helped make things happen.And stock exhaust manfolds still.
Attached Thumbnails Strange 12 bolt 3" narrowed ?-picture-005.jpg  
Old 04-19-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GIZMO
If you read the original question you would have noted that the car is going to be a race only car. She has also been following some of my threads in the LT1 section. The 9" x 30" radial is a far superior tire than most of what you experts are running. Even a stock internal car will work well with them. To get the most out of them you have to choose the right gear set. The 1982-92 rear is a direct bolt in. It is narrower, and will allow a lot of wheel choices. LCA brackets are only good to correct suspension geometry. They are not a mandatory addition to the rear suspension. If set up incorrectly they will put the suspension in a bind.
I hope your "expert" comment is not intended as an insult.........

You can't just throw in some gears and a tire.

Anyone can throw in a big tire. I know a few locals that did it and it boged the car down, even with better gears....

If you don't have the power a big tire will bog the car down. He went 13.5, she does not need a 15X10 or a big tire right now hence us needing to know more about what she has before people jump the gun. Remember that its not hard to make 13.5 hook, I would even hold off on the 12 bolt for now if it was me.

It does not cost any more to get a aftermarket rear narrowed when you order it. If she gets a third gen rear as far as I know none of the aftermarket ones come with the correct ABS stuff for LT1 cars..........

Anything not set up right with the suspension can put things in a bind...........
Most run brackets, not all. Pretty much everyone fast that I have seen has them.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-19-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

the only difference b/w a 4th gen rear and a 3rd gen rear is the width. the 3rd gen barely being more narrow. strange, moser, etc will cut the rear as far as you want to go. i had mine cut 3" on each side. if you are going to narrow it and only want to run a drag wheel, then screw ordering a "3rd gen" rear, just order the rear to place the center of the wheel where you want it (as long as you can stick with stock mounting points).

there is no trick to a "3rd gen rear" - IMO it isnt narrowed enough.

the 30" radial slick is incredible. if i were to run a stock eliminator setup or a class that required this tire as the max, i would go there. for a mild bolt on car, jesus christ lol. how silly. if you are gunning for a 10 second bolton car with an ati 5500 converter - no doubt!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
the 30" radial slick is incredible. if i were to run a stock eliminator setup or a class that required this tire as the max, i would go there. for a mild bolt on car, jesus christ lol. how silly. if you are gunning for a 10 second bolton car with an ati 5500 converter - no doubt!
He speaks the truth!

Remember, more tire means more rolling weight.

I still say for being in the 13's just get a nice 15X8 wheel with a 8.5 tire or so.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Also no reason to narrow the rear unles you want to run a killer backspace have have the deep wheel look or if you are doing it for big wheel/tire combos.
The best reason for running a narrow rear is the fact that it reduces rotating weight, which reduces ET.

You can pick at my coments all you want, but I will point out that mine was one of several suggestions posted. I really didn't mean to upset anyone.

Take Care,

Daren
Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

And we were just saying it will be easier to buy a narrowed 4th gen rear.

I would think you would gain more going with a smaller tire then with a narrowed rear.

Quick Reply: Strange 12 bolt 3" narrowed ?