Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driver lightweight battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Daily driver lightweight battery

who has one? i want something that works with a/c, stock radio, etc. what name brand?
Old 04-20-2008, 03:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Odyssey PC 680 and I'm very happy with it. Granted, I don't daily drive with it, but I actually think driving the car more often would be better for the battery since it would get a recharge from the alternator more often. Point is, the battery seems to have daily driver reliability. I can leave the car sit for two weeks and it fires right up with no problem.

You just have to be careful with this (or I assume any battery this small) that you don't pull any bonehead moves like leaving you lights on all day or just sit in your car listening to the radio for hours on end. One main difference between this battery and a full sized one is that it has the same CCA's as a full sized, but only 24mins of reserve time. In other words, it gets drained alot quicker than a full sized battery with more reserve time.

Bottom line, I don't daily drive this battery, but I would have no problem doing so.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am going with Braille
Old 04-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

The Hawker Oddysey PC950 is the one you want. It's 24lbs and can easily handle daily driver duty. Or you could get a similar sized Braille I suppose. I have used the PC950 and PC680 and you want the PC950 trust me. It's a nice battery with some reserve.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I have the Odyssey PC 680 and I'm very happy with it. Granted, I don't daily drive with it, but I actually think driving the car more often would be better for the battery since it would get a recharge from the alternator more often. Point is, the battery seems to have daily driver reliability. I can leave the car sit for two weeks and it fires right up with no problem.

You just have to be careful with this (or I assume any battery this small) that you don't pull any bonehead moves like leaving you lights on all day or just sit in your car listening to the radio for hours on end. One main difference between this battery and a full sized one is that it has the same CCA's as a full sized, but only 24mins of reserve time. In other words, it gets drained alot quicker than a full sized battery with more reserve time.

Bottom line, I don't daily drive this battery, but I would have no problem doing so.
After my 10 bolt exploded, I was waiting for my old man to show up with the trailer. I had the radio on for a few minutes (5 at most) and it killed my PC680. It's a pain to try and get them to hold a charge after you run em down too.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the pc680, haven't installed it yet but it seems like the best bet.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

I've been using the braille battery for the last 3 years. You're better off if you drive the car alot. If you let it sit for much more than a week without starting it can be a problem. Also, the biggest problem is winter if you live in a cold area. They can't take the cold, but I don't drive it during the winter so I pull the battery and put it in the house.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been using a Dynabatt for about 3 or 4 years now, never left me stranded. I did kill it in about 5 minutes though when I left the bottle warmer on with the car not running.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jantzer98SS
The Hawker Oddysey PC950 is the one you want. It's 24lbs and can easily handle daily driver duty. Or you could get a similar sized Braille I suppose. I have used the PC950 and PC680 and you want the PC950 trust me. It's a nice battery with some reserve.
what does an std battery weigh, 30 ish? if i was going for weight reduction, id go all the way.
i dont trust it with 3 fans, electric fuel pump, water pump and head/fogs at night.
see a lot of people run them, though!
ive seen some versions in carbon fiber as well to save a few more pounds.

Quick Reply: Daily driver lightweight battery