Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly does it take to prep a track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What exactly does it take to prep a track?

just curious here

i wanted to know what exactly does it take to prep a track besides gallons and gallons of vht being cooked to the pavement.

i mean there must be a "test" car that has to put some rubber down before its used. thanks guys.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned

no what they do when they open a track im not sure maybe they vht it and drag it with old tires but i bet it really it comes down to new people running down it to get rubber out there...

once thats all established a track can only really do a few things to keep it sticky for racers...thats one they drag it with old slicks to lay down rubber...and 2 spray vht on it to make it stickier

myself i have seen how both affect traction...ive vht myself by burning out in it and hoked better than ever...
also ran behind street cars and spun then go right back run behind a car with slicks and dead hook
Old 04-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Launching!

now i have noticed vht is nothing special until heat is applied with lets say a burnout or a torch.

do tracks melt the vht with flames?

or melt slicks to the track?

i dont think just dragging a cold hard tire will do much for traction.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

They spray it first with a nice heavy coat of vht,then they let it dry down for a while 10-15 min.Then they drag it with old tires too work the vht in(just like cars running down it).The main thing about prep is SCAPING it down with torches and scraper when the rubber layer gets too thick.When its too thick is when traction goes away,no matter how much vht is sprayed down. With the sun and too much heat the rubber becomes slippery,thats why IT HAS TO BE SCRAPED DOWN TOO THE CONCRETE! and reapplied.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=gangbang malloy;9215980]just curious here

i wanted to know what exactly does it take to prep a track besides gallons and gallons of vht being cooked to the pavement. Case of beer!

Jakes Dad
Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
They spray it first with a nice heavy coat of vht,then they let it dry down for a while 10-15 min.Then they drag it with old tires too work the vht in(just like cars running down it).The main thing about prep is SCAPING it down with torches and scraper when the rubber layer gets too thick.When its too thick is when traction goes away,no matter how much vht is sprayed down. With the sun and too much heat the rubber becomes slippery,thats why IT HAS TO BE SCRAPED DOWN TOO THE CONCRETE! and reapplied.
even though the thick layer of rubber is scraped off there is still that surface coat that prolly wont go away right?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:46 AM
12 Second Club

VHT plus a torch then do some big fat burnouts with a big fat slick and then launch on that groove, oh and do the burnout in some VHT. That seems to work well.....even on the street......
Old 04-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Almostryan3
VHT plus a torch then do some big fat burnouts with a big fat slick and then launch on that groove, oh and do the burnout in some VHT. That seems to work well.....even on the street......

Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

They usually only heat the VHT on the bald spots. It helps the dragger put down rubber faster.
The problem is the fast cars with big tires can rip up rubber. The street cars do also,
but usually have a shorter wheel base then ours. So now they have a couple of trouble spots.
I have seen some tracks use the powder stuff also.

As said, you have to keep the rubber under control. Too thick & it has too much give under load.
It takes a little bit of everything for a good track. No dirt/sand, nut's/dzuz, and the proper amount of rubber.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Launching!

i just think it would be hard to "put" rubber down by just dragging old tires up and down the track. you would think there must be some pressure applied or heat.

but i guess if the vht takes rubber off the old tires then thats where it is.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

A dragger does put pressure on the old slicks. It really helps clean the track.
It cleans off all the little drips & puts some clean rubber down.
You can hear the screeching as they drag it down the track.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Launching!

do they use old slicks to drag?

because at palmdale they jusy used old tractor tiresm tied them to a pick up truck and pulled them across the track.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

We leave our old ones with the track, they cut them up to fit their jig.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

At our track (Montgomery Motorsports Park), they have a tractor that they attach seven or so old slicks to, and then plop them down on the track and drive.

You can hear the screech, and see the tire-smoke. It's pretty cool to watch them do it, and if you run right after they do... We'll let's just say there have been a lot of broken parts right after they drag the track.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,157 Likes on 752 Posts

How often does a track have to scrape the lanes?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never seen my local track(MIR) which everyone says is one of the best, scrape the lanes. At the NHRA races they scrape every round with a torch and metal scraper. MIR will tire drag before the round starts.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Launching!

is torching the track to clean off rubber or to get the track hot and sticky?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gangbang malloy
do they use old slicks to drag?

because at palmdale they jusy used old tractor tiresm tied them to a pick up truck and pulled them across the track.
Palmdale is all you need to say! That was the worst prepped track ever! A real track uses a drag tractor that is specifically designed for the job. The tractor puts pressure on the old slicks and usually sprays vht onto the hot ground behind the drag. Good tracks also burn gold dust into the bald spots on the starting line then hit them with the hand sprayer of vht. Come race at AAA Dragway at California Spedway if you want to see some of the best track prep in the country.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RacerJJ
Palmdale is all you need to say! That was the worst prepped track ever! A real track uses a drag tractor that is specifically designed for the job. The tractor puts pressure on the old slicks and usually sprays vht onto the hot ground behind the drag. Good tracks also burn gold dust into the bald spots on the starting line then hit them with the hand sprayer of vht. Come race at AAA Dragway at California Spedway if you want to see some of the best track prep in the country.

gold dust? i have never heard of that being used. whats its purpose?

i know palmdale sucked but california speedway is just ok

bakersfield is the good one we have in southern california
Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Sorry, have to disagree with you on that one. When was the last time you were there? Bakersfiled is great but I would have to say Fontana is second only to Vegas for me.

Gold dust is what you see the NHRA guys put down after every Pro Stock run except they don't burn it in, they just let the cars heat it by burning out over it. It is just a powdery traction compound that gets extremely sticky with heat. It is used to restore the bald spots. It is very expensive so a lot of tracks don't use it.

Quick Reply: What exactly does it take to prep a track?