Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colonel's Recipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Colonel's Recipe

Colonel what is your recipe of mods for your 2002 Z28 to run in the elevens? Your assistance will be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Colonel's Recipe

You wanna know the Colonel's secret recipe? Ok...

Fast Toys Ram Air
MTI Lid
GMS MAF sensor
Ported TB
NGK TR-6 plugs
QTP 1 3/4" headers and Y-pipe
3" QTP electric cuttout
Lowered the car approximately 1 1.5" by cutting the front springs and removing the rear spring cushions.
LCA relocators
Fikse FM-5 17" wheels
315/35/17 Nitto drag radials
ACPT carbonfiber driveshaft
TCI 3500 converter
TCI shift kit
TCI tranny cooler
LS1 Edit programming (Did this myself. Pretty simple really.)
160 degree thermostat
Removed spare tire, jack, and tunnel brace.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Stephen, what was the DA on your 11.82 run?

My buddy Kent here is shooting for 11's stock internal but he hasnt had the weather to do it yet. He has most of the mods you have and a few more(suspension). He is running full weight.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

If those are the only mods performed on your car, then the times you are running are VERY impressive. Job well done. I am jealous, but guess I will get over it. Evidently, you know what you are doing. Thanks for the information.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Colonel, what is the ETA on the black Z28? Still thinking of the 471?

BTW, do you know Billy and Johnny Pilcher? They did some work on my heads and they were talking about your car.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't remember the DA on my 11.82 but it was pretty good. I think I posted it way back when but it's been too long. I'd say the barometer was probably about 30.05-30.15 and the temp about 45-50 degrees.

ETA on the black Z28? Things are looking good now. We're experimenting with a few changes trying to squeeze every last HP out of it before I pick it up. I plan to go to Houston sometime within the next couple of weeks. I told Jayson today that "My bags are packed! Just tell me when to head that way." Man, I'm getting excited.

Billy and Johnny Pilcher in Enterprise of Pilcher Automotive fame? Sure, I know 'em. They've done a little work for me over the years. Good folks to do business with.

Hmmm, now what were they saying about my car?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

"Still thinking of the 471?"

Actually, the 471 idea is for the '02 street car. And yes, I'm still dreaming of it. But first, I want to experiement with a super stealthy heads/cam combo that Jayson and I came up with that's never been done. Then I'll probably do a super stealthy big bore, and then maybe, just maybe, do a super stealthy 460-471ci super stroker. The emphasis with this car is to go suprisingly fast without sounding or looking like it and absolutely without giving up creature comforts or drivability. I still have the factory exhaust, for instance (with an electric cuttout.) Stock idle, no loose converter, no stump pullin' gears, and no lose of overdrive. With the black car, the idea is to push ALL boundaries. With the blue car, the idea is to push the notion of how fast a truly stealthy car can go.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds fun, I'll have to try and make it out to MMP one night when you start running the black Z again.

Johnny seems to be pretty psyched about LS1 performance (kinda weird when you look at the monster motors they run in the Pro-Mods), and he was just saying how impressive the car was before with the 422. I don't know if he did any work on it, saw it, heard about it, whatever.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ahh...before the 422. Yeah, there were alot of folks in the area that enjoyed seeing the car run mid 11s with the stock engine. Many people just couldn't believe it was running NA. This part of Alabama was very new to LS1s at that time (still are, really.)

They've never done any work to any of my LS1 cars, btw.