Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wolfe minitub kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
it makes sense, but i keep telling you that there are many many 4th and 3rd gen fbodys that run the 295/315 (30" tall drag radial) and my 325 (28") drag radial without a mini tub kit needed.

i do realize that the 3rd gen quarterpanels do not bulge like the 4th gens but it isnt night and day difference. the 3rd gen rear being 1.5" narrower on each side is not the issue. its getting the right combination of wheel/tire/rear end width that you are ignoring.

my point was the mini tub kit is not the issue. if you want to run a 13" wide tire, you can do it on a 5.5" bs wheel, tucking the wheels nicely. you have not addressed teh real issue - narrow the rear and clearance the bump stop area and you are there. ofcourse this is on stock mounting points as well.

mini tub kits make it nice as you have even more room but it isnt truely necessary to run a wide tire and tuck them in
I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think the width of the rear even comes into play for a tire only 13" wide. All you have to do is play with the backspacing of the rim. For example, I want to run a 15x10 with 6.5 bs. If I narrow the rear 2" per side, then that rim changes to 4.5 bs. Either way the rim/tire sits in the EXACT same spot.
After doing a lot of research on thirdgen.org, I found that a mini tub is the best way to go for me. A member on the site spent 14 hours to fit a set of MT 28x12.5 slicks. 3rd gens require more then bump stop removal. Most of the work goes into the front of the inner fender wells. Believe me the 4th gens have more room and a better shaped wheel well from the start. I have measured the difference of my buddies 01 SS vert. If you have any pics of non mini tubbed 3rd gens with 325/50 15's that don't stick out please post-I can't seem to find any.

Quick Reply: Wolfe minitub kits