Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever race Stock/Super Stock with an LSx based car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gott ahave them stickers if you wanna get paid ask my Dad he just ran a dead on with a 0 in S/ST and didn't have the perfectly strange sticker on the car and lost $1000.00,Now he does ,but thats the only one lol.

Go here bud alot of good info

www.classracer.com
Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Default 200 metric

I am setting up my Camaro to run C/SA piece by piece (ie-not buying anything that is illegal). I just cut the backend to fit my 30x9's and have my moser 12 bolt in the garage waiting for the end of bracket racing this year. What I'm trying to do is just break 11.70 in bad air. This is a 4 year project, so I'm taking it slow, about $7000 a year. I know that most people in stock run a 200 metric trans for autos (heard it's good for about a half second). Is this what is used in a Camaro? If so, has anyone done a swap and where is a good place to go? If anyone wants to see the 30x9's on my car and where to cut (it's only about an inch of bumper and quarter panel), I'll send pictures. I helped my cousin build his J/SA red Apollo, and know that this will take several more dollars and years to figure out than his. The motor is coming last and I'm just trying to get it to a National event and race. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

The metric 200 is the transmission of choice for GM stockers. It has a 2.74 low gear ratio. It might be worth half-a-second over a stock trans but it's only about .15 over a good T350. You'll need a crossmember for the trans and another that gives you a place to mount the torque arm. Don't put them both on the same crossmember or it will be a bear to change the trans at the track.

Good luck,

c
Old 08-03-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

metric 200? never heard of it
Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

The 200 was a non-overdrive, 3-speed transmission that was produced for mid-sized GM cars (Malibu, etc.) in the early '80s. It has been the transmission of choice in GM Stock Eliminator cars for about ten years. It has the word "METRIC" embossed on the bottom of the pan. It's primary advantages are the facts that it's very light (weighs about the same as a Powerglide), that its stock low gear ratio is 2.74, that it bolts into about any GM car using Powerglide or T350 crossmembers, and that it's relatively cheap. It is very durable (I have one with a brake in my Super Stocker that handles 9 second runs with no problem). There are a number of vendors who prep the 200 for drag racing.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE There are a number of vendors who prep the 200 for drag racing.[/QUOTE]

I know of Ken Shawver in Ohio (he did my cousin's), but does anyone know of anyone close to Council Bluffs, IA? Also, has anyone done this swap before? I would just like some heads up to know if a new program needs installing into the computer or whatnot. My cousin is going to ask Al Corda this weekend, but I don't really know if he'll divulge secrets, being his is so fast. I am just trying to run a smidge under index (11.60) to get to a couple divisional races then a national event or two. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Al Corda will probably mention Scott McClay Engineering in Tehachapi, CA. I know he ran Scott's transmission at one time. There are quite a few people who can get the 200 set up correctly but the closest to C.B. that I know for sure would be Billy Lynn in Searcy, AR.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever race Stock/Super Stock with an LSx based car?