Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help removing dash. PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help removing dash. PLEASE!

Getting this dash off makes my H/C swap look like a cake walk! Am I correct in thinking that I have to remove the wiring harness from the back of EVERYTHING to pull this thing out? What about around the steering wheel? Can someone give me some direction as to where the other bolts/screws holding this thing in there are? I found the two on the outer drivers and pass. side down by the door hinge area after removing the sills. I can`t believe I have to go through all this just to get the A/C housing out of the fire wall! I hate to say it but DAMN GM for not making A/C an option! Can you guys help me out?
Old 09-03-2003, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Need some help removing dash. PLEASE!

It is a true PITA.

Having the Helms helped BTW. I am sure you have found most of the screws, but there are more.

Remove the glove box, all the under dash panels, remove knee bolsters [L & R], lower steering column, remove radio, remove instrument cluster, remove hvac controls, remove side air ducts, remove console, remove a-pillar moldings, remove dash trim pad, remove fuse block bolt, remove fuse block, remove data link bolts, cut tie strap [buried way the hell behind the dash], remove the air distributor ducts [bolts are GD hard to locate without a picture, as I recall there only one of them hidden near left of center at about arms length as accessed from the top], cuss like a sailor, do not forget where all the bolts/screw came from, and look for some bandages.

I got it this far down but had not real reason to remove it completely, as I had done all I had set out to do. It still looked like a total PITA to go any further without doing something more with the steering column. Unbolted it was still very much in the road.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Need some help removing dash. PLEASE!

Thanks for the help bud! I don`t think I am going any farther without a Helms. I`m already forgetting where these bolts/screws go!
Thanks again.