Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly building a drag strip...I need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly building a drag strip...I need advice.

Whats up ya'll. I'm tryin' to figure out what's the least expensive way to build us a drag strip. Our racers have been racing on these messed up streets for years and also racing on a dangerous old airstrip(up-hill + dips + pot-holes). So I figure we don't need much more than that...just a nice flat surface that's completely smooth. We're not trying to compete with those nice NHRA/IHRA tracks, we just need a safe place to do our racing rather than risking it in the streets. Basically it's just gonna be a 3 or 4 lane road on a private piece of land. We have the land, we just don't know how or who to pave it yet. I was going to ask the county road crew about it, but they will probably not want payment + a cut of any profits. I really don't know how to go about getting funding for it since it's not gonna be some great big track with stands and a tower. Will I need any licensing? I plan on having a lawyer to draw up a waiver document for people to sign before entering. Would it be smart to make it like a non-profit organization and only charge for what it costs to maintain the track and pay staff(EMT and light/timing tech). I don't really know what direction to go with it, I'm open to ideas. We just need a place to run our cars/trucks and not have to worry about road hazards/traffic and most of all...cops.
I saw our county pave the road to the cemetary a while back and it was a nice blacktop suface and it was pretty smooth. I was thinking maybe we could get something like that or is that not a good race surface? We plan on using some type of track prep. Do we need concrete barriers on the side? We don't have them on the shitty track/air strip in the next town. I'm open to all concepts and ideas. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Make sure you build the track parallel to wind patterns in your area.

While no-one likes dragging into a head wind, people dislike cross winds even more.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip TopSecret. Anybody else? I just want to hear ideas of what we might need or what we should consider. Am I in the wrong section?
Old 09-08-2008, 05:27 PM
ZV8
12 Second Club

I think u do need a liscense but not sure what kind?

You should have concrete walls out a ways to protect spectators also and a long runoff incase a car cant stop, think about safety first and dont skimp on any safety features or equipment
Old 09-08-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be interested to know what kind of license I'd need for it. A buddy mentioned something about having a plan for spills(gas,oil, antifreeze, etc.) and disposal. I think that may be a concern to the local gov't so I'll look into that. I also remember being told that we need a 1/2mile of stopping distance for a 1/4mile track. I don't think our local track has that much, but I'd still like to stick to that.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont forget about insurance, insurance on a 1/4 mile track would probably be close to $1,000,000/year. thats why there are so many 1/8th mile tracks around here, insurance for one test and tune night at our 1/8th mile track is over $3,000
Old 09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

1st tip, point it east. 2nd tip, decide if there will be any killer cars allowed.
BIG BIG difference in building a track for slow cars or fast cars. If it's 10-11 seconds & slower it will much easier.
If any monster type cars 6, 7, 8 second's are allowed, you will need better walls, starting line, track equipment ect ect.
You must have something between pit's & fan's to keep them from getting run over.
At a minimum a steel highway barrier. I would suggest using 3 beams high, instead of 2 high that a lot of the older tracks have. I have about a thousand more ideas. I've been building a dragstrip mentally for several years.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Deep pockets!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
8 Second Club

if u got the money the hardest part will be finding a town that will alow it. very very hard to get something like that approved. make shure u got all the permits so u dont build it and they come shut you down
Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We're pretty much building it for the local street-racers(10sec and slower). It's a private piece of land, so shouldn't we be able to get away with doing whatever we want as long as we follow a few guidelines? I know we need a waiver or legal document releasing us from any resposibility. I know we can't dump fluids. I talked with my buddies today and all we really want is a place to run our cars/trucks. The local track that we run at is just a private air strip and the local war vets pay for the timing/lights to be setup and charge at the gate. There aren't any safety precautions, we just sign a waiver at the gate and run'em(no inspection).
Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I got someone to pave it for me. I asked on a Police forum and they suggested I get a business permit and check the zoning of the area and look into noise laws and insurance. I already know insurance costs a lot. At the local test track(Firestone), you need $1,000,000 insurance then workmans comp. on every participant entering with you. I just figured it's nothing more than a regular street in a private neighborhood on private land[with no speed limits]. So why do I need insurance?...everybody is gonna have to sign a waiver(drawn up by a lawyer) just like they do at the airstrip that the cops told us to use. And like I said, this is gonna be slow cars only.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see why you would need workmans comp, everyone signs the waiver to race. That doesn't sound right.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:28 PM
8 Second Club

Im telling you get the OK from the town and make it Legal. but its your money so if u want to waste it up to you..... you just cant build what ever u want where u want....
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Two suggestions: why not pave the old airstrip? it must have a good base. And, every dragstrip that I have been to, runs the cars to the North ---> no sun in your eyes all year round.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

I missed a line. Point north 1st, east 2nd. Good catch. I was thinking of RT 66.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm definately gonna get the OK from the county before I try to build anything. I just want to have my thought/documents/concepts together before I go run it by them. The county commissioner is a car-guy, so I have a good chance of having his support if everything is legit. The airstrip is owned by some crazy rich guy. He refuses to fix it and he doesn't really like us racers...he just makes pretty good money off us when the War Vets rent the track/strip for us. For some reason, [for the past 4 years]everytime he opens it for races, he coincidentally has to take off and land in his private jet during the races. It usually shuts down the races for 45minutes. That really puts a damper on things especially since we don't have much time to race. I'm 99% sure he wouldn't allow us to repave his airstrip and if he did, he wouldn't let us use it. Another thing, his strip runs south.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Start at other end. Looking south sucks.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout zoning laws? I know the local 1/8th mile had a lot of trouble because of zoning laws and they already had a perfectly flat airstrip to begin with.

Insurance is another big one to think about.

I wouldent worry at this point about which way the track is facing.. there are much bigger fish to fry first.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You would need to operate it as a business in order to make it worth awhile and afford it.

My suggestions..

First, talk with a insurance company and get a idea of the rate. They will want to know exactly what you are doing, how often you are racing and how many cars each month or year.. those are examples. The insurance is key thing, if someone gets hit, or wrecks they sue you. This is when operating it as a business is important, you will need the funds to pay for the insurance.

Also check for noise ordinances in the area you are looking to put it, you will need to check with the township offices on this. You will then need building permits... they are a pain in the butt but can stop you from building if you don't have them.

There is much more but those two items are key things.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna make some calls and send out some emails today. Thanks for the advice and tips ya'll.

Quick Reply: Possibly building a drag strip...I need advice.