Sponsored by:

Final Ruling on Stock Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Final Ruling on Stock Suspension

[quote
Then why was Madman bringing a SBC aftermarket block to a stock block LT1/LS1 shootout in Bowling green! Wasn't this WHOLE stock block/ stock suspension F-Body shootouts were supposed to be? We were there to race him.

[/quote]

What diff does that have? You stopped by my car and it was obviously NOT an LT1 or LS1. LOL It was an F-BODY shootout. Not an LT1/LS1 shootout.

Back to the subject at hand.
If the car is more stable, doesnt that lend a bit of an advantage to you over someone trying to do it on something that ISNT as stable??

I still say that if it bolts to the stock point, barring aftermarket 9" and 12 bolts, let it fly. If its moved, then its been done for some type of advantage or else it wouldnt have been modified.

Correct??
Old 09-09-2003, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

It has no advantage, there is probably 5 to 10 cars here that out 60' our car on a regular basis. Curt I know your car is the same setup, we raced you.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

EDIT: sorry i misread
Old 09-09-2003, 11:22 AM
8 second mod

Not a big dog, But ive been following this race. Got a question, If the relocation of LCA's and shocks did nothing for you, Why would you waist the time of changing it. It must do somthing. Also if it did nothing, why not switch it back and prove a point.
My final thought! Someone will just have to run faster then an 8.50!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Madmans SBC was allowed to race at bowling green , which was supposed to be a stock block LT1/LS1 race, and nobody said anything, and then they didn't even show up... I guess the rules only apply when the guys making them up, make them to suite themselves. ARE's car far more resembles a car built for LS1/LT1 style racing than most of the cars even showing up.

If someone does't run faster than 8.54 then it will be the "Also Ran Big Dog Race"

Not a big dog, But ive been following this race. Got a question, If the relocation of LCA's and shocks did nothing for you, Why would you waist the time of changing it. It must do somthing. Also if it did nothing, why not switch it back and prove a point.
My final thought! Someone will just have to run faster then an 8.50!!!!
Take a look at the pictures of the car. ARE built this car to run and look good at the same time. Wade did not want a hollowed out race shell but a car that could look great in a show as well.

The ARE car is slammed sleek and beautiful to see in person. You can't accomplish that look without moving some things. BTW I have seen the suspension up close and everything in is stock appearing under the rules.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Two points here...

This "Big Dog" race is Madman's deal, and he has the final say in the rules for it. You have to draw a line somewhere. Hell, he's giving the ARE guys a chance to send in pics of the suspension so he can see it for himself.

2nd point: I've seen Wade's car in person, and have checked out the suspension. What has been moved around was done so just for the simple purpose of being able to narrow the rear end and tuck the tires well into the wheel openings. I believe it's strictly a cosmetic issue (and it does look awesome), and is the only way to achieve a low ride height in the rear with a largish tire tucked up into the wheel opening. It just netted them a little clearance...
Old 09-09-2003, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,199 Likes on 770 Posts

The Big Dog race is Madman and Jay's deal.

How do the FFW or NMRA guys handle it? If it has to be stock location then all their folks have to set up their cars the same way.

One of the reasons I see the ARE car having more of a tub and needing more inboard clearance is the desire to slam the car down to the ground. It's my understanding that folks do that to make a car work better off the line and also to make the car more stable down the track... Is neither the case?

Again this particular race is their deal and we are just sitting by and watching the outcome, seeing if the payout will draw in folks. I know in the case of another car it would have to remove it's ladder bars to qualify for this race (Dente).

Admin
Old 09-09-2003, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not taking anything away from the ARE car with all my drivel. LOL I think its a BADASS machine and it looks the part as well. It was one of the best looking cars at bowling green.

Even though Im selling my car, i still feel like its my part to yell at everyone. LOL

Carry on.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, Let me get this straight. The ARE car is legal for the Thunder Shootout but not legal for the Big Dog race that takes place at the same event. That is complete and utter BULLSHIT, give me a break

Paul
Paul, this race IS NOT part of the Thunder Shootout. It simply takes place during the event. Seperate rules for this race.
I say, let the ARE car race.

Tim
Old 09-09-2003, 12:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the shocks/ LCAs were moved in, there is a number of advantages.

The offset of the rim will allow less rearend housing, shorter axles,and less unsprung weight. Easier to control, and stronger.

The LCA being moved in, under my assumtion when I poked around the car at the PRI show was to allow for the W tire to fit with no safety problems.

The car is "stock style" just not on the stock pickup points.

Grand-father the car in for shitsngiggles and race.

Im just putting a non-racing builders perspective in

Louis
Old 09-09-2003, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Louis I see your point but they were moved in less than 1 inch. Literally on the other side of the LCA mounting point. Ditto for the shock as far as I know.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since everyone thinks this is just about AREs car, why move the LCAs in. The frame rail is what hits the tire. There are plenty of cars with more tire under them and the lower control arms are not moved.

225-343-9029
Old 09-09-2003, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

Our car was done that way simply for LOOKS. There is no advantage other then the Killer Look of the car! We have gone low 1.3's only a couple of times! Its the motorplant making the car get there, and for some reason people don't understand that. If the car went 150mph, would it go 8.50's? NO. If it goes 167, now its a hell of alot easier to make up the ET on the big end!

To really get down to it, a MINI TUB is way more WORK then drilling a shock hole and moving the LCA to the other side of the bolt hole.

Lets all race with 16" rims and Gatorbacks and CD players
Old 09-09-2003, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stiil dont see the reason if for LOOKS to move the LCAs. If you didnt minitub the car then the LCAs arenot in the way.

225-343-9029
Old 09-09-2003, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

It has a widened wheel-well enough to clear a 28W and a nice deep rim.
It doesn't matter, if we can't race OH WELL!
Old 09-09-2003, 02:08 PM
8 Second Club

You're gonna hit the frame before you hit the Lower control arms. Hell I had a 28 W on my car. I still have the nice fat Hotchkis Lower control arm on my car. When I switched to the true 29.5 it was a lot wider then the W and still isn't close to the LCA. You can't move the LCA without moving the shock.The car might not 60' the best but it will roll out past 60's a lot better. I'm running a 1 1/2 shortened rear end (3rd gen spacing) and 6 1/2 wheels compared to everyone else. So I have 1/2 more tuck under the wheel well then most people. And like I said I'm running the fat hotchkis control arms. I don't have any problems at all with clearance. If I wanted to slam the car I could, what would be my problem is the top of the stock tubs, not the LCA's. Just my $.02
Old 09-09-2003, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dave/ARE,

Are you guys still planning on coming down if you can only race in the Thunder Event and not the Madman/Billingsley event?

Mir
Old 09-09-2003, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

i am not sure about Wade, but I am not into it anymore.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am not sure about Wade, but I am not into it anymore.
Well if that's the case then...Madman leave the rules as they are.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

I doubt they we're gonna change the rules anyways.

another problem is we couldn't make it last year, we had a ARE/Motown shootout ourselves the week before, and just could not make it. Then we HEAR about it all over the place we we''re a no show... Now we wanted to come this year and we can't race the big guys! It is the same car as last year, except its faster now... Hmmmmmm....

Quick Reply: Final Ruling on Stock Suspension