Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

408 w/ vic jr. dyno #'s after T/B change!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
Doesn't putting a hard turn 90° on that TB kind of void the benifit of the carb style TB? It is for pressureized systems so flow doesn't really matter like n/a, so...
Robert
Who says you have to run the carb hat at the track?

The carb hat to me does not hurt the flow with the 4150 throttle body that much because the 4150 TB will will straighten the air out before it enters the plenum and distributes the air evenly to all of the runners,unlike a elbow setup that can't straighten the air enough to keep from starving the front two runners. You answered your own question with the fact that it is not a pressureized setup like a turbo or S/C setup to where the air is forced in and needs more of a smoother turn radius hat or elbow setup. It does not have to straighten the air out in the plenum because of the forced being applied from the turbo or S/C will insure the runners get enough air. See if a buddy has a 4150 TB that will let you swap them for testing,i promise you will smile like a **** eatin dog after you get on the throttle.

I'll try to get some runs in with and without the carb hat on to see how much or if any difference is made. I'm willing to bet the carb hat is not hurting performace much at all on a NA setup.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I really like how you did that, my biggest fear was getting an air filter on the TB if I wanted to street drive the car. I really like that setup.

I'd be curious to see the difference at the track and on a dyno between no hat and with.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
I really like how you did that, my biggest fear was getting an air filter on the TB if I wanted to street drive the car. I really like that setup.

I'd be curious to see the difference at the track and on a dyno between no hat and with.
If the track is not packed out friday night i'll try to make a few passes with the hat off.

A friend of mine has the exact same setup on his 408ci motor,maybe we can test his also to see if we both get the same results.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
Who says you have to run the carb hat at the track?

The carb hat to me does not hurt the flow with the 4150 throttle body that much because the 4150 TB will will straighten the air out before it enters the plenum and distributes the air evenly to all of the runners,unlike a elbow setup that can't straighten the air enough to keep from starving the front two runners. You answered your own question with the fact that it is not a pressureized setup like a turbo or S/C setup to where the air is forced in and needs more of a smoother turn radius hat or elbow setup. It does not have to straighten the air out in the plenum because of the forced being applied from the turbo or S/C will insure the runners get enough air. See if a buddy has a 4150 TB that will let you swap them for testing,i promise you will smile like a **** eatin dog after you get on the throttle.

I'll try to get some runs in with and without the carb hat on to see how much or if any difference is made. I'm willing to bet the carb hat is not hurting performace much at all on a NA setup.
yea, i wish i could find a fly by wire carb style throttle body for the Vettes.
Robert
Old 05-21-2009, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

yea, i wish i could find a fly by wire carb style throttle body for the Vettes.
Robert
I bet that sucks!
Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is how mine is setup:

The car picked up 130RWHP from an LS6 (FI of course)
Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

how do u gust think this will wok on my set up (in sig) should i get arrons elbow and a 90 or should i do 4 ble tb
Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

i made 407hp on nitrous then 598 on spray
Old 05-22-2009, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

if i went with 4bble route how big of throttle body would i need... 1000cfm? more ?
Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=SIC LSX;10659967]user dlove went from from stock l76 intake and 92mm tb to this and didnt gain anything in the 1/4! Ran same time

QUOTE]

He should try a vic jr. instead of the GMPP intake
Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

this works fine in my opinion: Car made a best pull of 470rwhp...around 700 on the spray depending on bottle pressure.....

Old 05-23-2009, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by n20z28
i made 407hp on nitrous then 598 on spray
Old 05-24-2009, 03:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WizeAss
o yea... just asking some ?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n20z28
o yea... just asking some ?
lol.
re read your last post.

This thread is really making me think about going the carb intake route
Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

No new times yet. I got a few issues with some other things on the car i need to resolve before i head back. I'll post up comparisions with the hat on and off when i go.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running the ultra low profile Edelbrock elbow. My porter flowed the heads intake and elbow all together and claimed the elbow did nothing negative to the flow. He claimed the Aarons elbow hurt the flow. I can tell you my 408 is highly modified and should make some killer power, BUT it does not!! The car only turned 12.77 ET at 104mph! This is crap! The stock 346 with a MS3 cam did that! I am at 3500 feet elevation and the DA out here is 5000+ but still, I think I am missing at least 150hp! I have checked everything I can think of and can not find anything wrong. All I can come up with is the elbow. That ultra low profile elbow has to be killing the flow on the big end. I bet if I went to the one Aaron makes the car would wake up.

This is my question: I am installing a GT88 rear mount at this time one the car. Do you think it is even worth changing the elbow out if I am FI the car?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WizeAss
this works fine in my opinion: Car made a best pull of 470rwhp...around 700 on the spray depending on bottle pressure.....

I agree, the wide turn radius sheet metal elbows are probably fine for us spraying. Sure a high performance cast 90° may make a few more n/a ponies but for spraying or boosted cars a reasonable sheet metal elbow will be fine should we have one already. now with that said, most of us got the sheet metals when that was all that was available, however, now with the engineered cast elbows form Edelbrock and Wilson available I would rec getting one of them should we be buying new.

Robert
Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I would change the elbow
Old 06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
I am running the ultra low profile Edelbrock elbow. My porter flowed the heads intake and elbow all together and claimed the elbow did nothing negative to the flow. He claimed the Aarons elbow hurt the flow. I can tell you my 408 is highly modified and should make some killer power, BUT it does not!! The car only turned 12.77 ET at 104mph! This is crap! The stock 346 with a MS3 cam did that! I am at 3500 feet elevation and the DA out here is 5000+ but still, I think I am missing at least 150hp! I have checked everything I can think of and can not find anything wrong. All I can come up with is the elbow. That ultra low profile elbow has to be killing the flow on the big end. I bet if I went to the one Aaron makes the car would wake up.

This is my question: I am installing a GT88 rear mount at this time one the car. Do you think it is even worth changing the elbow out if I am FI the car?
For FI the Ultra low elbow will likely work as well as any. But for n/a it's certainly limited as is my low profile sheet metal elbow. I am going to try the Low Profile Edelbrock elbow which has a "Bore Center Line" (BCL) of 2" compared to the ultra low @ 1/2" BCL. This really is the indicator of how restrictive the Ultra low can and is. The flange angle is 102° on the Ultra and 95° on the Low Profile Elbow. This angle also shows how much was compromised on the Ultra Low, the Low profile elbow is only 5° off from a true 90° cast elbow. Also using the Low Profile cast elbow I can add a spacer under it should I need even better flow and to make it closer to the Edelbrock High flow cast elbow which has a BCL of 4.5". I just don't want a big ugly scoop on the hood of my Vette and thus the reason trying to use the lower than optimum profile.

All in all the Edelbrock Low profile and High flow elbows are nice engineered pieces. they have the internal divider to optimize flow quantity and distribution into the manifold, no more lean front cylinder issues. This is the piece for you guys spraying at the TB. Some have had distribution problems with the spray on the single plains and sheet metal intakes, which have also resulted in low produced spray numbers.

I think I have some pictures of the above discussed elbows if anyone would like to see them.
Robert
Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

For FI the Ultra low elbow will likely work as well as any. But for n/a it's certainly limited as is my low profile sheet metal elbow. I am going to try the Low Profile Edelbrock elbow which has a "Bore Center Line" (BCL) of 2" compared to the ultra low @ 1/2" BCL. This really is the indicator of how restrictive the Ultra low can and is. The flange angle is 102° on the Ultra and 95° on the Low Profile Elbow. This angle also shows how much was compromised on the Ultra Low, the Low profile elbow is only 5° off from a true 90° cast elbow. Also using the Low Profile cast elbow I can add a spacer under it should I need even better flow and to make it closer to the Edelbrock High flow cast elbow which has a BCL of 4.5". I just don't want a big ugly scoop on the hood of my Vette and thus the reason trying to use the lower than optimum profile.

All in all the Edelbrock Low profile and High flow elbows are nice engineered pieces. they have the internal divider to optimize flow quantity and distribution into the manifold, no more lean front cylinder issues. This is the piece for you guys spraying at the TB. Some have had distribution problems with the spray on the single plains and sheet metal intakes, which have also resulted in low produced spray numbers.

I think I have some pictures of the above discussed elbows if anyone would like to see them.
Robert
The edelbrock low profile elbow is the one i had on the victor jr intake and switched to the edelbrock 4150 TB. There is a big difference in performace between the two setups. If your going to spray with this elbow it would be wise to add a 1" spacer to allow the air to straighten up more as it enters the intake and allows the nitrous to evenly flow through the runners.

Your in for a shock if you think that elbow will clear the hood for a vette. I had to notch the inner skin of my sunoco hood for mine to fit and had to notch the inside of my buddies WS6 hood for it to close and it is tight with the hood latched. Add a 1" spacer and your busting through the hood like pam andersons ***** in a two peice bikini. Check page one and you will see my low profile elbow setting on top of my Victor Jr intake (just for show).

Quick Reply: 408 w/ vic jr. dyno #'s after T/B change!